PDA

View Full Version : Give me a BREAK from break cues.

irunrax
04-12-2004, 12:47 PM
In the area i live in(fort wayne, IN) there are alot more people using sledgehammer break cues. I have tried one numerous times and break the same as i do with my cue. I am not trying to brag, but i have a very good break, with CB control. I have had guys with much more experience in pool comment on my break, they will ask me where i am hitting the CB, where on rack, ect.,. I am not putting the sledgehammer down, i am just saying that i am not sold on it. I think they break great, as good as my $80.00 dufferin. I actually like the way they shoot, i ran a rack of nine with one, i just had to scuff the tip alot. I guess the reason for this post is that i think alot of people buying this cue think it will magically change their break. Instead of working on their break, trying to find out why they cant spread the rack, or pocket a ball, they buy a another cue. But if you have a horrible break to begin with then nothing, not even an expensive cue will change it.
I feel the same about jump cues, most of the guys around here buy a jump cue before they learn how to jump. I learned with my normal playing cue and can still use it if i wanted. But most times if i can i will kick a ball before jumping. Oh well, i guess to each is own. Regards, David

Wally_in_Cincy
04-12-2004, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote irunrax:</font><hr> ......i think alot of people buying this cue think it will magically change their break....<hr /></blockquote>

Good point. However, if you buy a $2000 custom cue and use a tip from an Eritrean albino pig your game will improve dramatically. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j/k

JohnBarton
04-12-2004, 01:02 PM
And this is the rub. People often buy equipment to make up for their perceived and/or real weaknesses.

The Jump Cue, the Break Cue are both tools that have been modified from the norm to do something outside the norm but neither of them do anything by themselves. They are simply tools.

If you already have a good break then maybe you are already at the point where the Sledgehammer won't help you to do anything better than you already are. On the flipside are many pros who use them and swear by them and similar cues like the Bunjee Jump Breaker.

But improvement on something as wild as the break is hard to substantiate unless true measurements are done over a period of time to find a before and after average.

I think that this is something that one just feels. And for some people the magic pill works. For others it just makes them focus more on what they are doing, i.e. the guy who buys a jump cue starts to learn all about jumping.

Or there are those that think they are buying a better game and really do think that the cue will do all the work. For those people the magic pill just works against them and is more of a boon than a blessing.

John

irunrax
04-12-2004, 01:10 PM
You articulate your thoughts very well. Thanks

Predator314
04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote irunrax:</font><hr> In the area i live in(fort wayne, IN) there are alot more people using sledgehammer break cues. I have tried one numerous times and break the same as i do with my cue. I am not trying to brag, but i have a very good break, with CB control. I have had guys with much more experience in pool comment on my break, they will ask me where i am hitting the CB, where on rack, ect.,. I am not putting the sledgehammer down, i am just saying that i am not sold on it. I think they break great, as good as my $80.00 dufferin. I actually like the way they shoot, i ran a rack of nine with one, i just had to scuff the tip alot. I guess the reason for this post is that i think alot of people buying this cue think it will magically change their break. Instead of working on their break, trying to find out why they cant spread the rack, or pocket a ball, they buy a another cue. But if you have a horrible break to begin with then nothing, not even an expensive cue will change it.
I feel the same about jump cues, most of the guys around here buy a jump cue before they learn how to jump. I learned with my normal playing cue and can still use it if i wanted. But most times if i can i will kick a ball before jumping. Oh well, i guess to each is own. Regards, David <hr /></blockquote>

I hate breaking with my playing cue. It's just hard on the tip. I figured if I'm going to buy a break cue, why not buy something that is designed for breaking. I went with the Predator BK because I've used one before and I really like Predator products. I then tried the Sledgehammmer and my break immediately improved because I could focus on making a smooth stroke on the break instead of trying to crush the rack.

I used to be able to jump the ball with my old McDermott cue. When I switched over to a Predator, that ability went away. I bought a jump cue, the ability came back.

I somewhat agree with you on the break cue issue. You still should work on your break. However, if you have the extra $300 to blow, why not get a new toy?

I have to disagree on the jump cue. I've sold many of them to people in my area and give them a free lesson on using the jump cue. There is no need to learn how to jump with your regular cue because 1.) It can be pretty difficult depending on what type of cue you have and 2.) It's hard on your equipment again, especially for people that are learning and 3.) Jump cues are pretty cheap these days.

JohnBarton
04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
My other car is a HotWheels too! It's a red Porsche 911 Cabriolet. LOL

I need a major magic pill to sell to the masses to turn it into a real car...................

:-)) John

irunrax
04-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I do have a jump cue and i do use it. I neglected to say this in my initial post. But for a jump in which i dont have to go over the entire ball(1/2) and there is no fear of jumping off the table i will use my shooting cue.
I do not break with my playing cue either, my breaker is a dufferin, i bought it for breaking because the poolhall i started playing in had them for house cues and i liked the way they broke. It is the same weight(19oz.) and has the same tip(triangle) as my playing cue(Ray Schuler). Hey i agree in spending it if you have it to spend, that is not why i posted this, im just talking.:)

Ralph S.
04-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Trust me folks. This fella David is good guy and just simply tells it as he sees it. He also has a very good game.

CarolNYC
04-13-2004, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
buy a jump cue before they learn how to jump.
<hr /></blockquote>

I thought jumping a ball was one of the hardest things to do ,until a friend gave me a Bungee!I cannot jump with my cue,but found it alot easier with the Bungee-of course, in the beginning, there were times I looked like a complete idiot, but the only way you learn is by doing it!
Take care!
Carol

irunrax
04-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Hey Ralph. Likewise, i have seen you shoot the lights out. I hope everything is alright with your father. Regards, David

Scott Lee
04-14-2004, 01:51 PM
David...I'll be in the definite minority here, but I agree that break cues are nonessential. Actually, the myth of the break cue was invented by the mass cue manufacturers to sell more cues to the playing public. Afterall, how many cues will the average person buy? Answer: ONE! How much they spend depends on many variables. I have been breaking with my playing cue(s) for more than 30 years, with NO detriment to the tip, joint, or any other part of the cue.
Most folks just try to smash the balls as hard as they can, with no respect to technique, or where they are aiming on the CB (should be DEAD center, imo, as that puts the least amount of stress on the tip). One-piece leather tips (LePro, Triangle, Triumph, Elk Master, etc.) CAN mushroom, but that is generally due to poor quality in the individual tip. Out of every box of these tips, SOME will fail, and mushroom, etc. Even a cuemaker cannot tell if a tip will mushroom or not, until it is played with. The newer generation of 'layered' tips are much stronger, and resist mushrooming, regardless of how how you break.

As far as jump cues goes, I'd have to diagree with you. The new generation of jump cues has made jumping over a full ball (even with english or draw) has made jumping a new artform, that the best players can become very accomplished at, and even the beginners can learn to jump a full ball from less than a foot away. Learning to jump with your playing cue is also an art, and fewer players can successfully jump balls, especially with CB control, using their playing cue, than those using a specialty jump cue, like the Stealth, Bungee Jumper, and the myriad of others out there. The men pros do not allow use of a jump cue, and those are the folks that you see who have really learned how to jump a ball well.

Scott Lee

ace895
04-14-2004, 02:11 PM
I agree with Scott. To me, break cues are bogus. Jump cues have opened up a new avenue in the game, however. But, since I am a purist, I would love to see the jump cues taken off the market. I believe that pool should be played with standard sized equipment. To me, it is kind of like having a corked bat in baseball. With a jump cue, any joe can jump full balls and get out of well played safties. Without a jump cue, those same players are kicking and missing.Oh well, thats just my opinion...what do I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif