PDA

View Full Version : #+*$%&^#@@ slow players

Wally_in_Cincy
04-13-2004, 07:27 AM
I hate slow players.

Last night. 15 innings. 75 minutes. Do the math.

And the guy's team was not even in contention so it was pretty much a meaningless match for him.

I hate slow players.

Rich R.
04-13-2004, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>15 innings. 75 minutes. Do the math.
<hr /></blockquote>
75 minutes divided by 15 innings = 5 minutes per inning, or an average of 2 1/2 minutes per player, per inning.

Assuming many of these innings consisted of more than one shot, it doesn't seem to be outrageously slow to me.

Of course, as I see myself playing a little better, when I slow down a little bit, I am getting more tolerant of slow players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, I wouldn't blow off a match, whether my team was in first place or last place. I would always give it my best effort. However, some days my best, is not very good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
04-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Don't you mean Methodical? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Bet they took lessons in Wisconsin. LOL Well Wally, Now you know what the Cassman feels like. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~should have asked, is it my shot? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
04-13-2004, 07:51 AM
I was in a "bigger" 8 ball tournament last year. They have a singles, doubles, and teams event. In the doubles event, I watched 2 guys contemplate over one shot for 25 minutes. The whole game took almost 45 minutes to complete. One game, not a set. That's stupid. I'm in favor of a shot clock.

9 Ball Girl
04-13-2004, 07:56 AM
25 minutes?!!!! Don't they have a 1 or 2 minute rule at least???

Keith Talent
04-13-2004, 08:00 AM
That's ugly. I was a victim of that kind of game twice last weekend, in 14.1. Except that he took 4 of those 5 minutes and change ...
I managed to lose both matches, to the same duffer, and a fair amount of dough, too.

I used to be on the slow side myself, but I think I've progressed to deliberate.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-13-2004, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
...Assuming many of these innings consisted of more than one shot, it doesn't seem to be outrageously slow to me...
<hr /></blockquote>

In football they have a "time of possesion" for each team. Out of 45 minutes his "time of possesion" of the table was probably 35.

Predator314
04-13-2004, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> 25 minutes?!!!! Don't they have a 1 or 2 minute rule at least??? <hr /></blockquote>

No, they need one though. If I were in that match, I would have been irrate after 5 minutes!

daviddjmp
04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I couldn't agree more. In my 8-Ball league we have players that take 15 practice strokes for each shot, even easy ones, and then still miss. At one pool hall across from my work there is a fairly good player I just won't play anymore because he plays so slowly, 8-13 practice strokes per shot, plus a minute looking at the table layout beforehand. I don't get it, the balls aren't going to move anywhere, and there are just so many options. It really takes the rhythm out of any pool game in my opinion. I agree there needs to be a shot clock-

rukiddingme
04-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Chris,
As someone who happens to take an occasional lesson in Wisconsin can you elaborate as to where you are coming from on that? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Are you saying that players that rush and play way fast should be taking lessons in Wisconsin? If that is the case then I need to go to Wisconsin more often... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ruk

Chris Cass
04-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi ruk,

Naa, just picking on Jerry Briesath a little. He does produce though. Besides, I like being a thorn in the side of Scott Lee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Someone has too.

Many slow players settle their nerves this way. Some don't have a clue and just go brain dead. Stairing into space till they see the pattern. Myself, I know what the pattern is almost instantly and I might run across one that might take sometime to evaluate what's best for me. I don't like to fight the table and flow with the pattern as much as possible.

Now, the Wisconsin dude and dudetts. Stair at the shot then, stand back, walk into the shot as they hold their cue up high in the air while stroking then plop. They fall into the shot. They'll stroke the shot ever so slow till their tummy feels fuzzy. Then, they'll stand up and think to themselves. Maybe, this isn't the right shot? Then, they tell themselves, Yes it is. LOL Then, they'll repeat the process. When they miss I'll think to myself. Geez, wonder if they're from Wisconsin and sure enough. They have a shirt that says, Midwest Billiards, Wisconsin.LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~try this, if the player takes a long time to shoot. ask them where they're from. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
04-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Wow! Shades of Souquet vs. Chamat I saw.
3 hurs and a half for race to 11 semis match.

Rich R.
04-13-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In football they have a "time of possesion" for each team. Out of 45 minutes his "time of possesion" of the table was probably 35. <hr /></blockquote>
I guess you will have to quit missing, and giving up possession of the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
04-13-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Last night. 15 innings. 75 minutes. Do the math.
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

A few years ago we had this player (now a WPBA Touring Pro) play in a NEWT event and she took 5 minutes one time to look over a push shot. Another shot she took 10 minutes to look over. She missed it, btw. Danny Barouty was at that tournament and after she missed it he said, "She rushed the shot." From then on that's all you'd hear after every miss of hers.

She took over an hour to win a match 7-0.

Barbara~~~brings a stop watch with her to every tournament...

Tom_In_Cincy
04-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I use to feel the same way Wally, but, now that I am older and more feeble, it takes me longer to walk around the table and then I usually get lost and have to start over again.

When I am confronted with a player that takes an extremely long time at the table, I just relax and try to make myself comfortable.

What really bites me, is when they are down on the ball and are stoking and stoking and stroking and THEN, they get up, without shooting....and start all over again... What is going thru their mind?

Been bit but never died...

pooltchr
04-13-2004, 09:58 AM
It's even worse in a tournament. One slow player can hold up an entire bracket. And it's worse if they are in the winner's bracket...then it throws the left side off as well!

Wally_in_Cincy
04-13-2004, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>I guess you will have to quit missing, and giving up possession of the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Rich, that is exactly what happened. I played flawlessly the first 2 games. I missed an easy shot in the third game and he got to the table and ran his last 5 balls in about 5 minutes (no joke-this included a 2-minute time-out).

Next game he ran 4 or 5 balls. By this time I had been sitting 15 minutes and I got cold, missed a couple of makeable balls.

I was on the hill at 3-1 and he left me this layout. I missed the 11-ball.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg9V9
)END

What a bonehead I am.

Then he banks the eight

START(
%HW2D2%Ir2N6%JZ6D8%Kn4W2%MG5H2%P_2X0%UX1F0%V^8V7%b E1Z9%cR8F4
%dV8C4
)END

I just shook my head. So with his handicap he won with 2 games. I needed 4.

So you're right Rich. I lost because I let him to the table.

DMoney1644
04-13-2004, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> What really bites me, is when they are down on the ball and are stoking and stoking and stroking and THEN, they get up, without shooting....and start all over again... What is going thru their mind? <hr /></blockquote>

i do this occasionally, so maybe i can offer some insight. when i do it, it's either because i saw a possible better route and need to stand up so i can survey the entire table, or because im doubting myself and want to recheck my line. im somewhat new to pool so im still having trouble with my aiming and confidence in my abilities. could be something similar with the people you've encountered, but who knows.

Leviathan
04-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Hell, Chris--You mean you're not supposed to shoot until your tummy feels fuzzy?? Nobody ever told me that! Not even my mentor! And my mentor's a touring pro (but I play pretty even with him since I moved up to level 5 a while ago--I've been told I'd be a 6 most places). No wonder I've been missing straight-in shots! (My mentor says they're the hardest kind, especially when you're playing against some prick who ought to be a 7, but he's only a 3.) Do they teach the fuzzy stomach feeling thing at Jeanette Lee's pool school? I'm gonna start waiting for my tummy to feel fuzzy before I shoot. But what does a fuzzy feeling feel like? Is the feeling on the inside--like gas--or on the outside? Is there somewhere I can get a video on this? I'd like to get the video cheap. If I call the video guy and his price is high, is it cool to bargain with him? I mean, I know it's impolite, but what if I really want the video, and I want to get it cheap? Do you clean your videos with Armor-All? I know a guy who uses Armor-All on the tip of his Sledgehammer, and he really breaks awsome, but not as good as I do.

Jeez, Chris, you've given me a lot to think about here!

Hiya, Chris--regards to Heide and Spike.

Alan

#### leonard
04-13-2004, 03:42 PM
My favorite Ralph Greenleaf story is when he played an exhibition in Troy NY and came in drunk, ran 125 and out holding on to the table to keep from falling down. Put on trick shots and was out of there in 30-40 minutes. Told to me by the owner.####

Vagabond
04-13-2004, 08:05 PM
The slowest player in the USA is a pro player by name Greg Fix and he is from Minnesota.If my oponent is a slow player I will be reading Penthouse magazine during my waiting to shoot.After seeing the penthouse my opponent gets excited and starts playing fast.LOL Cheers
Vagabond

Chris Cass
04-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi ya Vegabond,

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I thought Mark Wilson was the slowest pro? HAHAHAHAHA Well, till I seen Danny Basavich(sp) 26 strokes. LOL

Regrads,

C.C.~~never seen Greg play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
04-14-2004, 12:58 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA Glad your so happy today Alan. That's warm and fuzzy tummy btw. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't shoot on Elvis' birthday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hiede and spike send their love.

Fat Ivory
04-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Whimper whimper. It can't always be speed pool.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fat Ivory:</font><hr> Whimper whimper. It can't always be speed pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you for your intelligent and thoughtful response.

I take it you don't have to get up early for work the day after you play pool.

Chris Cass
04-15-2004, 11:58 AM
You've got to admit. Slow players play pool like old people xxxx. Can't remember how that goes.

C.C.

Fat Ivory
04-15-2004, 12:23 PM
C'mon! You're looking for thoughtful and intelligent responses to what amounts to a not-too-thoughtful simple public whine?
Get over the slow players, play the game.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fat Ivory:</font><hr> C'mon! You're looking for thoughtful and intelligent responses to what amounts to a not-too-thoughtful simple public whine? <hr /></blockquote>

I would prefer "rant".

"whine" sounds somewhat juvenile /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ace895
04-15-2004, 12:41 PM
slow, methodical play is ok with me...stalling is a different story. There is a big difference to me. I can normally tell if a player is slowing down a match on purpose or if he is simply slow. One pocket is my game of choice so long, methodical games are no problem...But i hate a staller who is trying to take you out of your game!

Tiabin
04-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Do most people take more than 2 or 3 practice strokes during each shot? I never do more than that... That'd be pretty irritating.