PDA

View Full Version : i want to change my stroke

sevenball
04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
So I took a year off the game and filled my time with some time sink of an on-line game. Played about 1-2 times a month on a BCA team my friend had just helping out. Now for
the last month Iím back into playing again. Iíve decided to change my stroke / mechanics dramatically. Iíve decided that I am focusing more on three points of change. Problem is Iíve been playing pool a lot for 12 years before my break. Iím looking for advice on how to stay on track with my changes and is it worth trying to change at this point or not. The ideas for change came from mostly from a player that when I was shooting could beat me 3 out of 4 game regularly. And I find his advice in many books and videos. I think they are great ideas but find myself falling into old habits when I loss focus.

Help me beat you
thanx

pooltchr
04-13-2004, 01:46 PM
My first thought is to get a qualified instructor to work with you. Change can be good or bad. If you try to change bad habits for new bad habits, you gain nothing. An instructor can evaluate your stroke and help you work through making the necessary corrections, without losing the good parts.
If you can catch Scott Lee when he is in your area, get a couple of hours with him. If not, go to www.bca-pool.com/play (http://www.bca-pool.com/play) and look at the list of active instructors. Find one in your area and go for it. You could save yourself a lot of agrivation.

recoveryjones
04-13-2004, 10:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> My first thought is to get a qualified instructor to work with you. Change can be good or bad. If you try to change bad habits for new bad habits, you gain nothing. An instructor can evaluate your stroke and help you work through making the necessary corrections, without losing the good parts.
If you can catch Scott Lee when he is in your area, get a couple of hours with him. If not, go to www.bca-pool.com/play (http://www.bca-pool.com/play) and look at the list of active instructors. Find one in your area and go for it. You could save yourself a lot of agrivation. <hr /></blockquote>

GOOD ADVICE (above)

I've been tinkering with my stroke for six months trying suttle little changes here and there in search of perfection.

I feel solid in my stance, my arms straight and I'm playing the best pool of my life.Having said that however, I still feel a little crowded especially on power shots as my chest is seemingly in the way a tad when a longer follow through is required.One day I'll sit down with a pro and see if we can do something.

Any time you make a change you can expect to take one step backwards with the hopes of gaining two steps forward.

The biggest change in my stroke that I'm going to hang on to is a much lighter grip. Grip pressure for me has made a load of difference in my improvement. Best of luck, RJ

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2004, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sevenball:</font><hr>....Iíve decided to change my stroke / mechanics dramatically...

...The ideas for change came from mostly from a player that when I was shooting could beat me 3 out of 4 game regularly. And I find his advice in many books and videos.... <hr /></blockquote>

Before you do anything drastic, there are a lot of knowledgable people on this board (not including me) that maybe can advise you. What specifically are you going to change?

This player may be giving you good advice or he may not.

sevenball
04-14-2004, 08:50 AM
quote wally:
Before you do anything drastic, there are a lot of knowledgable people on this board (not including me) that maybe can advise you. What specifically are you going to change?
----------------------------------------------------------

friends advice. from a guy i showed and tutered that blew by me in 2 years of play.

1.) i need to move my head closer to the cue ball
2.) lower my stance making my head closer to the stick
3.) make my stroke more compact

personaly besides those things im working on
1.) running out i.e. ball selection, and trying to K.I.S.S..
2.) hitting the cue more acuitly (i think this is the main problem with me missing shots, im not focusing enough on the contact of the cue, IMO.

sounds like a lot but they all work together i think. but im falling back in skill, IMO.

well there you go, thats what im working on.

help me beat you
sevenball

woody_968
04-14-2004, 03:51 PM
[quote=sevenball
friends advice. from a guy i showed and tutered that blew by me in 2 years of play.

1.) i need to move my head closer to the cue ball
2.) lower my stance making my head closer to the stick

<font color="blue"> Both of these things could help, just keep in mind that set up changes like these take more than a couple hours of practice to know if they are better or worse. And sometimes getting closer to your cue could make you play worse at first but end up being better in the long run.

Also when it comes to getting lower on the cue, you can simply bend over more, or you can somewhat widen your stance or bend your knees more. Keep these things in mind so you change your setup consistently. </font color>

3.) make my stroke more compact

<font color="blue"> Take caution in changing this much, if your natural swing is long and flowing then going to a compact swing can feel very punchy and not give you consistent cueball action. My normal swing is fairly long, many times when I start to play bad its because I have shortend my swing. </font color>
personaly besides those things im working on
1.) running out i.e. ball selection, and trying to K.I.S.S..

<font color="blue"> By saying ball selection I assume you are playing 8-ball. If you want to improve your pattern play I suggest you study straight pool. Watch a few instructional videos, maybe read a book, then practice for a few weeks and your pattern play WILL improve! </font color>

2.) hitting the cue more acuitly (i think this is the main problem with me missing shots, im not focusing enough on the contact of the cue, IMO.

<font color="blue"> Again Extreme Caution here! This swing thought could work for you, but more often I would say people tend to get into a "hit" mode instead of a "stroke" mode when thinking thoughts like this. Like in golf when you see someone with a beatiful practice swing, then put a ball infront of them and the "hit factor" comes in and their swing totally changes! If you are saying contact point as in tip position on the cueball I think your on the right track, but if that means thinking of the actual action through the cueball you could be getting into a very pokey stroke. </font color>

sounds like a lot but they all work together i think. but im falling back in skill, IMO.

well there you go, thats what im working on.

help me beat you
sevenball <hr /></blockquote>

I hope what I have posted makes at least a little bit of sence. If not maybe some others could clear it up for me LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sevenball:</font><hr>
...1.) running out i.e. ball selection, and trying to K.I.S.S..

<font color="blue">This comes with experience. I don't know what else to say. </font color>

<font color="blue">This sounds like your stroke is not straight IMO </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">The rest of the stuff you mention I am not qualified to comment on. I'll just say don't do something that feels un-natural.

And get thee to Mr. Tewksbury immediately. You will not be sorry.</font color>