PDA

View Full Version : Are Pros Taking A Longer Time To Shoot?

9 Ball Girl
04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
I ask this because I taped the matches from ESPN 2 from Tuesday the 13th. The first match was of Allison Fisher and Jeanette Lee from 1997. Now, I recorded this on VHS in my VCR so commercials were recorded as well. Anyway,

Everytime I fastforwarded through the commercials and got back to the match, I would immediately look to see what the score was to see if, like they do now, skipped any racks. I hate seeing for example a score of 3-2 before the commercial break, to come back after the break with a score of 4-3. Well, during this match, after every commercial break that I fastforwarded, the score would be exactly as it was before the break. I loved it! Now I also noticed that they didn't do the little mini interview that they do during the matches now but they did do the mini interview at the end of the match which I liked. I also like the instant replays as well. All in all, the televised match took up the hour without skipping any racks.

So, are pro players taking longer to shoot now?

ChrisW
04-14-2004, 10:13 AM
I noticed that also.

I liked the picture in picture interview they did during one match and the post-match interview.
I also did not miss the "tip of the day" which usually shows Allen or Ewa making a shot without any real explanation.

As far as shooting faster? I don't know, but Jannette was flying in the few matches I saw. Allison looked about the same.

Chris

daviddjmp
04-14-2004, 10:16 AM
9BG-

It may be possible that there have been a lot of complaints about two or three games being played during the commercial break, so maybe they are pausing like they do in pro football for the commercials. That would be way cool, but just a speculation-

SpiderMan
04-15-2004, 09:00 AM
My guess would be that they're showing it slightly delayed, rather than in exact real-time. That way there's no break in actual play (which would be disruptive to the participants), but they can break the broadcast to insert commercials. No viewer would realize that a couple of five-minute delays had built up during an hour.

SpiderMan

daviddjmp
04-15-2004, 03:00 PM
That seems most likely to me-

catscradle
04-16-2004, 11:49 AM
The thread got side tracked I think. The question was basically why did the entire match without skipped games fit in a 1 hour window back then and it doesn't now.
The conjecture was that the pros are slower now.
I don't see how that is possible since they play with a shot clock and they usually shoot before being given a warning about time. JMO

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2004, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> The thread got side tracked I think. The question was basically why did the entire match without skipped games fit in a 1 hour window back then and it doesn't now.
The conjecture was that the pros are slower now.
I don't see how that is possible since they play with a shot clock and they usually shoot before being given a warning about time. JMO <hr /></blockquote>

The fact that Jeanette was playing may have had something to do with it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. She doesn't fiddle around too much and doesn't seem to like playing safe when she can go for it.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Karen Corr is the reason IMO.

She loves playing safe. She initiates safety battles that take up a lot of time.

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2004, 01:00 PM
I guess you're right. I was watching Jeanette shooting with Gerda from yesterdays broadcast and lo and behold, this match had skipped racks. But, they also showed a tip by Belinda Campos and I think also showed the personal interviews too.

Photoguy
04-17-2004, 03:38 AM
The most likely answer is that players like Karen Corr do play more safeties where as Jeanette, Vivian will "go for it" instead. Each rack is a segment in the show, unless it is a very fast rack. The segments (racks) and the commercials are edited together later. The production team is in total control of when the player breaks for each game. A producer keeps a running time count of each segment
and makes sure that they have enough pool content to make an hour long show. If it's too long, then something (a rack) has to be cut. This is not live so the show must come in at an exact time. On a very rare occassion, the pool content is too short. Allison once beat Vivian 7-0 in 25 minutes at Mt. Pleasant. They needed 47 minutes of pool. That becomes one ugly show and a producer's and director's nightmare.

The interviews really don't take away from the pool time because they are only about 30 seconds long. If they have to cut, it's usually about 6 or 7 minutes . . . that's why a rack or two is cut. When pool develops a larger audience and generates more revenue, the shows will be live and nothing will be cut and it will go as long as it takes.