PDA

View Full Version : Dubya Press Conference

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2004, 12:13 PM
<font color="blue"> I'm amazed at some of the stupid questions asked by these reporters.

I think this was the goofball from NBC: </font color>

John.

"Q Thank you, Mr. President. Two weeks ago, a former counterterrorism official at the NSC, Richard Clarke, offered an unequivocal apology to the American people for failing them prior to 9/11. Do you believe the American people deserve a similar apology from you, and would you be prepared to give them one? "

<font color="blue">Apologize for what? Like that mealy-mouth Dick Clarke apologized? Like Clinton apologized for slavery? Bush owes no apology. He owes us vengeance and that's what we got in Afghanistan. </font color>
=================================

<font color="blue"> Then Jim Engle from Fox lobs this softball, but he makes a point that people are overlooking... </font color>

Q <font color="red"> You have been accused of letting the 9/11 threat mature too far, but not letting the Iraq threat mature far enough. </font color> First, could you respond to that general criticism? And, secondly, in the wake of these two conflicts, what is the appropriate threat level to justify action in perhaps other situations going forward?

THE PRESIDENT: I guess <font color="green"> there have been some that said, well, we should have taken preemptive action in Afghanistan, and then turned around and said we shouldn't have taken preemptive action in Iraq. </font color> And my answer to that question is, is that, again I repeat what I said earlier -- prior to 9/11 the country really wasn't on a war footing. And the, frankly, mood of the world would have been astounded had the United States acted unilaterally in trying to deal with al Qaeda in that part of the world.

<font color="blue">If Bush had gone into Afghanistan pre-emptively the same peolple bitching about Iraq would be saying the same things they are now.</font color>

eg8r
04-14-2004, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Bush had gone into Afghanistan pre-emptively the same peolple bitching about Iraq would be saying the same things they are now.
<hr /></blockquote> Exactly.

eg8r

nAz
04-14-2004, 01:12 PM
I hear that all the questions were pre summit, is that true?

BTW did you catch the invasive answer he gave when asked why he appeared together with chaney to answer the 9/11 commissions questions, or maybe it went over my head but i did not get the answer.

ahh one more thing I did not like the way he said that he would look forward to reading the commission report when his adimin fought not to have one.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2004, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote some dumb reporter:</font><hr>
...Do you believe the American people deserve a similar apology from you<hr /></blockquote>

This reminds me of the guy in 1992 (Limbaugh calls him "Ponytail Boy") who asked Bush "I see the American people as your children and how are you going to take care of us?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bush 41 was speechless. I would have said "For God's sake you're a 40 year old man. Take care of yourself you spineless wimp"

SPetty
04-14-2004, 03:15 PM
I noticed that he talked about running a rack... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nAz
04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I noticed that he talked about running a rack... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

lol i think he talked abour ruining a rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheesemouse
04-14-2004, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I noticed that he talked about running a rack... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

lol i think he talked abour ruining a rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Haaaaaahaaaaaaaa....very good...nice play on words...love it!!!!

nAz
04-14-2004, 07:18 PM
lol now3 that i reread the post it is even funnier. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

check this article out....

No apologies here

The White House reporters who won a rare, golden opportunity to ask President Bush questions before a national audience last night didn't cast their queries wide, dwelling mainly on the Iraq debacle and how the administration acted, or rather didn't, during the summer of threat before 9/11. But Bush probably wishes a few reporters varied the themes a bit more. To his obvious chagrin, several reporters harped on something similar. Did the president feel personal responsibility for Sept. 11th? What was his biggest mistake since 2001? Would he apologize for 9/11? Is it fair for critics to say he never admits a mistake? Was he a failed communicator?

All of this talk of failure obviously caught Bush off-guard. During one non-answer, he looked up at the ceiling. He looked down, biting his lip. He stammered and hemmed. The failures of this administration's policies are obvious to all, and perhaps too voluminous to catalog in the hour Bush set aside for the nation. But here's how he responded to reporters' questions:

Q: "Do you feel personal responsibility for Sept. 11th?"
A: "There are some things I wish we'd have done, when I look back. I mean, hindsight's easy. It's easy for a president to stand up and say, now that I know what happened, it would have been nice if there were certain things in place. For example, a Homeland Security Department."

President Bush did not mention that he originally opposed the creation of the Homeland Security Department.

Q: "One of the biggest criticisms of you is that whether it's WMD in Iraq, postwar planning in Iraq, or even the question of whether this administration did enough to ward off 9-11, you never admit a mistake. Is that a fair criticism, and do you believe that there were any errors in judgment that you made?"
A: "The country wasn't on war footing, and yet we're at war ... There was nobody in our government, at least, and I don't think the prior government that could envision flying airplanes into buildings on such a massive scale."

Here, still not admitting errors in judgment, Bush repeats something we already know not to be true. People in his government did envision Islamic terrorists flying planes into buildings. In July of 2001, U.S. officials were warned about that scenario regarding the G-8 summit in Genoa. The threats to the Genoa conference prompted Bush to request the now-infamous Aug. 6, 2001 briefing titled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S.," he said last night. And the 9/11 panel reports in newly-declassified information that threat information about hijackings and other types of potential attacks flooded into the White House in the spring and summer of 2001, including memos titled "Bin Laden planning multiple operations," "Bin Laden network's plans advancing" and "Bin Laden threats are real."

Another reporter tried the question another way:

Q: "Two weeks ago, a former counterterrorism official at the NSC, Richard Clarke, offered an unequivocal apology to the American people for failing them prior to 9-11. Do you believe the American people deserve a similar apology from you, and would you prepared to give them one?"
A: "... As I mentioned, I oftentimes think about what I could have done differently. I can assure the American people that had we had any inkling that this was going to happen, we would have done everything in our power to stop the attack. Here's what I feel about that: The person responsible for the attacks was Osama bin Laden. That's who's responsible for killing Americans."

In other words: No apologies here. Here's another try:

Q: "In the last campaign, you were asked a question about the biggest mistake you'd made in your life, and you used to like to joke that it was trading Sammy Sosa. You've looked back before 9-11 for what mistakes might have been made. After 9-11, what would your biggest mistake be, would you say, and what lessons have learned from it?"
A: "I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it. John, I'm sure historians will look back and say, gosh, he could've done it better this way or that way. You know, I just -- I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with answer, but it hadn't yet."

And finally:

Q: "I guess I'd like to know if you feel, in any way, that you have failed as a communicator on this topic."
A: "Gosh, I don't know. I mean ... You know, that's, I guess, if you put it into a political context, that's the kind of thing the voters will decide next November. .... One thing is for certain, though, about me, and the world has learned this: When I say something, I mean it. And the credibility of the United States is incredibly important for keeping world peace and freedom."

Sadly, the world has learned just the opposite about Bush's words. There are still no WMDs, and there was no al-Qaida connection to Saddam. That's partly why the credibility of the United States has suffered around the globe, as this depressing poll showed. Taking responsibility -- something he urges others to do -- might help Bush bridge the global gap in trust. Last night, though reporters tried to help him take that step, the president stubbornly stuck to his script.

lol

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2004/04/14/noapologies/index.html

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bush:</font><hr>
...The person responsible for the attacks was Osama bin Laden. That's who's responsible for killing Americans."...<hr /></blockquote>

eg8r
04-15-2004, 07:33 AM
What would he apologize for? If you remember correctly, Bush did not have anything to do with 9/11. This was the coordination and execution of the terrorists. The terrorists did not send a message that they were coming on 9/11 and that we could expect them to fly into a tall building.

It makes plenty of sense for Clarke to apologize, since he was the man in charge for the previous 8 years and he was supposedly tracking them. Clarke failed. He also allowed Clinton to say there was no immeadiate threat of terror. Why would Clinton write this in his last address of National Security if he did not believe it?

I know you do not like to answer the questions I pose, and for whatever reason you think I am "losing it" when I ask the questions, but here goes...What would people like you have said (prior to 9/11) if Bush shut down all the airports, marina's, and entrances into the US based on intelligence that we would be attacked by terrorists? Think back to the way you thought prior to 9/11 before answering. You would be one of the first on the board blasting Bush and posting some stupid cartoon.

eg8r

nAz
04-15-2004, 09:26 AM
I mightbe secound or third to get on bush not first.
BTW those cartoon Satire are not stupid at all but your opinion of them is really silly. If i couold find some good right wing satire i would post it just to make you smile.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> ...If i couold find some good right wing satire i would post it just to make you smile. <hr /></blockquote>

right wing don't got no satire due to no sense of humor /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 10:08 AM
here ya go naz

you'll like this. it's all about "Dumya"

http://home.twcny.rr.com/felicity/dumya.htm

nAz
04-15-2004, 10:15 AM
lol nice music. gonna order Ed and You one of those fine bumper stickers /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
04-15-2004, 10:30 AM
http://home.twcny.rr.com/felicity/d-bush-shrub.gif

eg8r
04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mightbe secound or third to get on bush not first. <font color="blue"> OK, you are probably right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>
BTW those cartoon Satire are not stupid at all but your opinion <font color="blue"> Not meaning to cut off the sentence but the rest of it is the same type of stuff you are blaming me for. However you are correct again, it is my opinion. </font color> of them is really silly. If i couold find some good right wing satire i would post it just to make you smile. <font color="blue"> I have laughed at quite a few of the cartoons you have posted. I really have nothing against the cartoon at all and when I find them funny you will see my post accordingly. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r