PDA

View Full Version : injuries in the game

04-28-2002, 07:37 PM
I am doing a report on billiards does anyone know if there are any injuries associated with the sport.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-28-2002, 07:42 PM
PRIDE, EGO lots of bruses go with these two injuries

cheesemouse
04-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Anon,
The most common injury in pool is : eldumpoinpantsidis; it is very mysterious and there is no cure......:)

Nostroke
04-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Well i heard K McCready once took a cueball in the mouth which was pretty serious.

Personally i have cut myself on a protruding screw reaching for the balls in the return area and i have also drawn blood by scrapping my knuckles on one of the brass plates on the short rail while power stroking. Anyone else done that?

rackmup
04-28-2002, 08:43 PM
Neck and Spine:

<font color=red>SPRAINS</font color=red>

A sprain is caused by direct or indirect trauma (a fall from a barstool, a blow to the body by an errant, flying cueball, etc.) that knocks a joint out of position, and overstretches, and, in severe cases, ruptures the supporting ligaments. Typically, this injury occurs when an individual is in the "extended bridging position" and slips due to improper footwear and lands awkwardly on his/her buttocks; slips on a chalk cube; jumps up (celebrating a four rail kick carom jump shot) and lands on the side of the pool table; or runs into a just-cleaned glass door.

Shoulder:

<font color=red>STRAINS</font color=red>

Most problems in the shoulder involve the muscles, ligaments, and tendons rather than bones. Most pool related shoulder injuries occur from breaking too hard or "high-fiving" a teammate that is substantially taller than you are.

Elbow:

<font color=red>SPRAINS &amp; STRAINS</font color=red>

"Billiard Elbow" was originally named ‘lawn tennis arm’ when it was first recognized as a condition afflicting tennis players (in 1882). Intensive study ever since has generated a wealth of information about both tennis elbow and billiards elbow. Both start as microtears of muscles attached to the epicondyle. With repetitive stress (breaking, running racks, applying extreme draw to the cueball), these microtears are unable to heal, and they become inflamed. In the interest of your well-being, repeatedly beating your opponent isn't condusive to your health. Spot your opponent 5 on the wire and you should see immediate positive medicinal results.

Wrist:

"Mosconi's Syndrome" is caused by irritation or swelling of the tendons found along the thumb side of the wrist. This irritation causes the compartment (lining) around the tendon to swell. This is caused by gripping the cue too tightly. It can be caused by gripping other things too tightly but that will be covered in depth in the Sexually Generated Injuries (SGI) lesson later next week.

Hip:

<font color=red>MUSCLE PULLS &amp; TEARS</font color=red>

A groin pull, or tear, occurs when the thigh bone or leg is pulled out, which causes the leg muscle to overstretch. The tear or pull usually occurs either at the junction of the tendon and the muscle or at the junction of the tendon and the pelvic bone itself. The most common cause of this injury is refusing to pay up on your bets and your opponent forcibly attempts to remove your wallet with reckless disregard to the fact that your leg is still in the pants that he is now driving down the road with.

Knee:

"Beggaritis"; This affects the bursa which lies on top of the kneecap. It used to be most common in maids who scrubbed floors, and was therefore referred to as ‘housemaid’s knee.’ Now, fewer floors require hand scrubbing and knee pads are worn for most sports activities which can cause prepatellar bursitis. However, when a pool player has just lost not only the car payment, but the rent payment as well, he/she often finds him/herself in this un-flattering and painful position, in the presence of his opponent. It can and often does occur despite knee protection (not very common in a pool room.} Falling on the knee, direct blows and collisions can bring on prepatellar bursitis. It is often seen, for example, in pool players that choose to run from their debts rather than beg for forgiveness.

Ankle:

<font color=red>TENDON DAMAGE</font color=red>

The strongest and largest tendon, the Achilles tendon connects muscles in the lower leg with the heel bone. Sports that tighten the calf muscles, such as pool, running from opponents that are owed money and evading the payment for table time can overstress this tendon and cause a strain (Achilles tendinitis) or a rupture. A direct blow to the foot, ankle, or calf from an angry opponent can also cause this injury.

Foot:

<font color=red>STRAINS, SPRAINS &amp; BRUISING</font color=red>

"Plantar Mouthciitis" is pain on the bottom of the heel that usually is caused by inserting the foot into one's own mouth. However, plantar mouthciitis pain can be caused by putting the aforementioned foot into an opponents buttocks as a way of informing him/her a debt is owed and immediate payment is required.

These are the most common injuries suffered by the American Pool Player. I think you can clearly see, the injuries described are most commonly tied to the failure to reconcile a financial obligation.

I hope this helps with your research.

Regards,

Ken (not a Doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night)

Chris Cass
04-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Well A,

Finger spinter from the ball return my last opponent claimed but coughed up the 2nd hundred for that set and quit.

Seen and smashed my finger on the head rail from a powerbreak.

Got hit with 3 cue balls. First one from a opponent that missed the 9 ball and slammed it into the pocket with whitey hitting me in the shin. Hurt for a solid week. Second one from a opponent off the break and I seen it coming towards my cue. Stopped it with my ankle, that was smarts for a solid week. The Third came from a guy I didn't like on the table next to mine on his break. That hurt both of us for a solid week.

Jammed my hand about 300 times trying to catch a ball or whitey from going in the pocket. Stopped that around 1979.

That's about all,

C.C.~~let's whitey go and worries about who picks it up from now on.

04-28-2002, 09:54 PM
True Story:

This happened in the 1996 World Cup. This was a team event where teams of 3 snooker players from one country faced teams from other countries.

After leaving himself slighty short of position Stephen Hendry had to stretch his body up onto the table to reach the cue ball. In the act of putting his leg up on the table, Hendry managed to "pinch" an important part of the male anatomy between his leg and the side of the table. Ooooouch. After a lenghty delay to recover, he came back and made the shot, with the rest this time. He ended up winning the frame and Scotland went on to win the title.

That counts as an injury.

Stauber

Rod
04-29-2002, 12:47 AM
Chris, no offense but I don't think I want to be around you when you play. I'd always be waiting for "incoming" and hit the deck. LOL Once I was showing a pretty lady the force of an effortless pool stroke. Just shot at the end rail and it come back and hit me between the eyes. I felt stupid and sore for a week, not to mention the knot on my forehead. Of course I continued like it didn't bother me. I mean you have to look good!!

04-29-2002, 01:09 AM
Ho hum.... Trying to find something to do are we? Are there no 24 hour pool halls in Texas? You should be there practicing for next weekend.

Doctor_D
04-29-2002, 04:41 AM
Good morning Ken:

Sounds like a historical perspective of one's own experiences. Ouch, those must have hurt.

Dr. D.

rackmup
04-29-2002, 04:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Ho hum.... Trying to find something to do are we? Are there no 24 hour pool halls in Texas? You should be there practicing for next weekend.<hr></blockquote>

Think about your question for a moment...IF I did need to practice my game AND there were a "24-hour" pool hall in Texas, of course, I would be there in preparation for next weekend. But since I don't need the practice, I am here, providing fodder for your anonymous attacks.

I would think you would be more gracious considering I am the only reason you ever post.

Be polite sonny...a simple "thank you" is in order.

Regards,

Ken

Chris Cass
04-29-2002, 05:27 AM
Ok Ken,

What's next week? Your not talking Vegas are you?

Regards,

C.C.

rackmup
04-29-2002, 05:49 AM
I'm not going to Vegas. I've yet to find a team to play on here in Texas and my team from Phoenix is going without me. They replaced me when I moved (only four weeks into the season) and it is only fair that the new guy gets the playing time.

YOU? Heading out to "Sin City?"

Ken

SpiderMan
04-29-2002, 08:45 AM
I'll bet the most common injury is due to snagging your hand on a protruding nailhead when pulling balls from a pocket. The pocket nails loosen up and back out periodically. Your hand is small when you put it in, then bigger because it's full when you pull it out. If there's a protruding nailhead, it will cut you. I probably don't know anyone who hasn't been caught by this one.

Once (and thankfully only once), while practicing with a teammate, he hit me on the end of the pecker with a cueball jumped on the break. Happened so fast I couldn't do anything but watch. I think that's probably rare.

This also has only happened to me once - I was down on the 8-ball, and someone about 10 feet away behind the rail starts woofing at me. I stood up to look at him, some chalk dust or something got in my nose, and I sneezed. My wad of chewing gum flew out and landed in his open mouth. I don't think he was injured, but he was shocked speechless. I made the ball.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I am doing a report on billiards does anyone know if there are any injuries associated with the sport. <hr></blockquote>

SpiderMan
04-29-2002, 08:50 AM
Ken,

You said you were buying a league franchise here in DFW. Did that fall through? I can point you to several leagues and teams around here.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I'm not going to Vegas. I've yet to find a team to play on here in Texas and my team from Phoenix is going without me. They replaced me when I moved (only four weeks into the season) and it is only fair that the new guy gets the playing time.

YOU? Heading out to "Sin City?"

Ken <hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse
04-29-2002, 08:58 AM
Spiderman, The gum got me...http://www.gifanimations.com/animation3/mouths/mouths_004.gif couldn't happen to a better animal.

~~the chez likes to run up the railbirds pantlegs~~

04-29-2002, 09:25 AM
Rod, I see we have more than a few things in common. Yeah, I know about that 'cue ball flying back off the rail thing and hitting you.' When I did it, it stunned me and knocked me down. Ha!

Fran

rackmup
04-29-2002, 11:06 AM
The league opportunity, after great review, would take up too much of my time without equal compensation. The league "industry" here in the DFW area is also very competitive. It just isn't a good investment for the money they want.

Ken

Troy
04-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Or a hysterical perspective..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning Ken:

Sounds like a historical perspective of one's own experiences. Ouch, those must have hurt.

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

MikeM
04-29-2002, 12:25 PM
My teammate did that last week. Ball hit him right in the sternum and knocked the wind out of him.

I also believe back problems are common to pool players. Don't know if they are caused by pool, but know they are exacerbated by it.

MM

Rod
04-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Fran, I was definitely stunned, but the table was there to support me for a few seconds. I have never seen a cue ball come back that fast! I guess I still haven't, it must have been at warp speed. Funny thing I don't remember if it bounced back on the table or not. I think that's a foul!!

04-29-2002, 12:45 PM
You know those curved metal plates that go over the pockets on many tables? Such as on a Gold Crown, for instance.

I have cut my finger on those more than once, while shooting hard at a shot. Once, I gouged a CHUNK of skin out of my right index finger. It took over an hour before the bleeding was totally stopped. It didn't bleed all over the place. It was bleeding very little and very slowly. But it took about an hour before it completely stopped. And it took a couple of weeks to heal.

As far as injuries to my ego and pride, those are too numerous to mention. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
04-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Mike, I've never hurt myself on the metal plates, but have put more than one ding in my shaft. I wonder how long it took Brunswick to come up with such a poor design. The one that comes up more often for me is the sharp corner at the side pocket. They could have rounded it just a little.

04-29-2002, 01:24 PM
What kills my shaft is those score markers set into Gold Crowns at the foot of the table! ARGGH!! I have to use an open hand bridge there, to protect my shaft. They surely could have come up with something that didn't protrude over the rail.

Barbara
04-29-2002, 02:56 PM
Mike,

The CGIVs do not have the counters set in the rail. At least, the ones in Parsippany didn't.

Barbara~~~hates them little counters, too...

Barbara
04-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Ah yes!! Who could forget that post?!! Which lead to the "Mark Of Crimi" chronicles.

Oh Fran, please, do retell the story for all the new CCBers...

Barbara~~~has them all saved...

04-29-2002, 03:35 PM
So are you saying if you go away I will go away too? Let's give it a try.

04-29-2002, 03:50 PM
I know. I think it must have at least doubled in speed flying off the rail like that. I'd swear it hit me at 40-50mph. I was shooting at full break shot speed, too. Ouch.

Fran

04-29-2002, 03:59 PM
It's never the same or as funny the second time around, Barbara. Let's just let it be.

Fran

Patrick
04-29-2002, 04:49 PM
When you break fast, both your hands can get injured.
If you hold the cue too tight with the bridge hand when you follow through, then it will wear out the skin and after about 30 breaks it starts bleeding, if you hold it very tight.
The skin on your grip hand will wear out and come loose if you make 30mph+ breaks, it comes from the dry wrap, it helps to wet the wrap a little or use a special glove made of soft rubber, this makes it easier to grip the cue without the hand slides when you move it fast.
I haven't tried without a wrap but the paint could start to burn the skin when you move the hand very fast without a good grip, you will get a better grip without the wrap than with it, but it is easier to burn the hand.

The other injury comes from when you make faster breaks than 50mph, the sound is too big so you can get deaf. I will use ear plugs and a special glove when I break that fast.
Then I will use special shoes and clothes to improve the speed of the break further. Clothes similar to what sprinters use, to get less wind resistance.

Patrick

rackmup
04-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Okay...I will go away if you go away. But NO sneaking back to see if I am still here. Even if I do stay and never really go away, you will have gone away and you will never know that I stayed. As long as you stay away. Okay?

Sorry Skippy...I was here L-O-N-G before you crawled from beneath your rock at playpool.com and followed me here. I have noticed that you no longer post there (probably because you miss me.) I'm certain that I speak for several when I say: "You will not be missed."

Now...go away. I'm going back to ignoring you (for now.)

Ken (a pipe dream that he will really go away)