PDA

View Full Version : Beating the odds

wolfdancer
04-14-2004, 05:51 PM
some fifteen years ago, my Mom had a major heart attack, and I flew back home, expecting the worst. since then she's added a touch of emphysema to her ailments. She has also broken each arm from seperate falls in the last two years. Last Sat, she was admitted to the hospital,with fluid in her one lung, making it difficult to breathe. they noticed something else though, and discovered colon cancer. They operated today, and she came through in good shape, although the next 3 days are critical. Ain't much left to my Mom anymore..she used to be around 5'7", and in fighting trim, around 135 lbs. Now I'm guessing 5'4", and barely 100 lbs, but don't mess with her...she's meaner than a junkyard dog, when she gets riled up. AND she's still the strength of the extended family
I couldn't fly back just yet...I "beat" the odds myself...they operated on my broken ankle 2 months ago, and I was one of the 1 to 2 % that get an infection from surgery. I just got out of the hospital myself, after the second surgery, and I'm on some drug therapy for the next 6 weeks. the Md. did not want me to travel.
What a strong-willed woman, my Mom...she told my brother, she was not going to die in a hospital....did I mention that she is 91?

PQQLK9
04-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Sounds like you have some of your Mom's sprit.
Hope your ankle heals ok ....I think Mom can take care of herself...
blessings to you both.

Barbara
04-14-2004, 06:21 PM
God Bless your Mom, and God Bless you, John D!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

May you both recover well to celebrate Mom's Day together in May!!!

Barbara

nAz
04-14-2004, 07:05 PM
yes like Barbara says bless you both and may you both many more years /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Naz~~ wishes he could make it past 60 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 06:25 AM
God bless her. She sounds like a fighter who's gonna go down swinging.