PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Selection Process

recoveryjones
04-15-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure what qualifications one needs to get in the current Pool Hall of Fame or how political the current selection commitee is.Having said that, it seems that there are some that feel slighted.

Grady mentions players like Bugs, Ronnie and Jersey Red.Who are these guys? Also Grady himself has won four WORLD one pocket championships which is in itself HOF material.Who are some other great players that you feel should be included in the HOF and have been overlooked?Also who are some of the current players who should definitly be eventually included or already included?Any commentary on this would be interesting.RJ

Popcorn
04-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Being voted on to a roster of the greatest players of all time should only be a part of a hall of fame. It's main function should be to preserve the history of the game and that would include players whose contributions may not be due to only winning tournaments. Plus records and a history as complete as possible with photographs, memorabilia and so on. This need is evidenced by the second line of your post. I was in I think it was, Vegas one year when they used to have the juniors tournament along with the BCA show. I was sitting there with Joe Balsas in the front row. Not one kid in the room had any idea who it was sitting there as they walked by and To be honest, how would they. There are a lot of players who may not be true HOL material but whose contributions, and colorful history's should not be forgotten. If you study the old west, everyone that had a part, is important in some way, from the famous gunfighter to the guy panning gold, that is what history is. I am afraid pool seems to only exist in the moment, as the past just fades away.

recoveryjones
04-15-2004, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Being voted on to a roster of the greatest players of all time should only be a part of a hall of fame. It's main function should be to preserve the history of the game and that would include players whose contributions may not be due to only winning tournaments. Plus records and a history as complete as possible with photographs, memorabilia and so on. This need is evidenced by the second line of your post. I was in I think it was, Vegas one year when they used to have the juniors tournament along with the BCA show. I was sitting there with Joe Balsas in the front row. Not one kid in the room had any idea who it was sitting there as they walked by and To be honest, how would they. There are a lot of players who may not be true HOL material but whose contributions, and colorful history's should not be forgotten. If you study the old west, everyone that had a part, is important in some way, from the famous gunfighter to the guy panning gold, that is what history is. I am afraid pool seems to only exist in the moment, as the past just fades away. <hr /></blockquote>

Good post Popcorn, Your summary of what a hall of fame should be about is 100% bang on.This is a support rich in history and that history should not be lost.RJ

#### leonard
04-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Joe Balsis is the nicest Hall of Fame poolplayer I ever met. One great guy.####

Bob_Jewett
04-15-2004, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> I'm not sure what qualifications one needs to get in the current Pool Hall of Fame ... <hr /></blockquote>

There is a very brief description on the BCA web site (http://www.bca-pool.com/industry/hof/hof.shtml) and you can find the listing of the committee members elsewhere on the web site. It is easy to contact many of the committee members.

Examples of the ballots for Greatest Player (http://www.sfbilliards.com/ballot_gp.gif) and Meritorious Service (http://www.sfbilliards.com/ballot_ms.gif) are available on the SFBA web site.

If you think someone should be a candidate for the Hall of Fame there is nothing to keep you from submitting a nomination except the twin demons: ignorance and apathy.

recoveryjones
04-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks Bob, for your reply to my post, much appreciated. I contacted the BCA regarding their selection process and here's the email regarding their response:

Thanks for your inquiry.

Any BCA member may nominate someone to the Hall of Fame. To be eligible in the Greatest Player category, a person must have had a professional playing career of at least 20 years' duration and have won at least one national or world championship. In the Meritorious Service category a person must have made a lasting, memorable and important contribution to billiards.

A committee of 5 persons, mostly billiard journalist, historians, etc., meet to make a selection of at least three Greatest Players candidates each year and at least two for Meritorious Service, but that doesn't have to happen each year.

The ballot is sent to voting and associate voting members of the BCA. The winner in each category is selected and a second person in the Greatest Player category if they have votes that are equal to at least half of the number of votes earned by the winner.

Hope this helps.

Stephen D. Ducoff
Executive Director
Billiard Congress of America

Now here's my opinion on the potentials flaws in the BCA selection process:

Dear BCA, Thanks for your quick response to my question regarding the BCA's Hall of Fame selection process, much appreciated.Below are my thoughts on your current selection process:

I'm very pleased that they have a KNOWLEDGABLE commitee (5 persons) who select 3 candidates out of all the nominations from the multitude BCA members. With their knowledge we are guarnteed to have three worthy candidates like we did this past year with Ewa Mataya, Earl Strickland and Allan Hopkins.

Having said that, letting BCA members vote and decide who wins could present problems.Having said that, Ewa was and is a worthy winner and certainly belongs in the HOF.

People may vote with their heart and not their head each year concerning a player like Earl Strickland however.Earl is a guy with some personality traits that many people disagree with including myself.Having said that his most impressive playing record should make him a MORTAL LOCK for the hall of fame.Who knows, Earl will probably be selected again next year as one of the three for the HOF.I say he definitly will,because the five qualified members of the selection commitee realize his outstanding achievements and they know what they are doing. If he keeps getting voted out by the fans because of a populiarity contest, then I think the BCA has a problem on their hands.A lot of fans writers etc. dislike Barry Bonds passionatly in baseball.Baseball's QUALIFIED selection process will insure that he gets into the hall of fame and not be left out because of the fans voteing with their heart and not their head.A qualified selection commitee knows enough not to vote because of a persons populiarity and WOULD'NT overlook achievments of a player in favor of someone they liked better.This POTENTIAL populiarty type voting MAY have left some players (who feel they should be in the HOF based on their achievments) feeling slighted.

In my opinion, people voted into the HOF should be put there by a qualified panel such as the five(selected by the BCA) spoken about above. These people must KNOW THEIR POOL INSIDE OUT.The players who have to play at least 20 years to be considered are being voted in or out sometimes by BCA members some of which having only been into pool for a few years themselves.

Not that there aren't any knowledgable fans (voters)in the BCA, as I'm sure there are. However in saying that, I'm sure there are a lot of BCA voters WHO DON'T HAVE A CLUE about stats , players and what they are doing, especially so with some older legends who are not from there time.

In summary, I say get qualified people to make the final HOF selection. I think better still they should let THE PLAYERS who have been on the professional circuit for 20 years or more have a vote in the matter. Who knows the players any better than them, themselves.Letting unknowledgable(as some of them are) BCA members decide the fate of pool players who have given their life to the game may not be the best way to go. Just my humble opinion. Thanks RJ

ps.Grady told me to write you this.....LOL....only joking.

SPetty
04-16-2004, 01:01 PM
They said "The ballot is sent to voting and associate voting members of the BCA", not all members. Just because I'm a player member of BCA doesn't mean I get to vote.

You gotta pay the BCA $1000 to be a voting member ($500 for associate 1/2 vote). I don't know how many of them there are, but I would think they'd know a little something about pool to pay that money.

I don't know if this membership list from the BCA web site is wholly complete, but I wouldn't expect that all of them, or even most of them, are "voting" members:

http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/industry.mlinks.cgi

It would be interesting to know how many "voting" members there are. May be only 5...

Popcorn
04-16-2004, 04:17 PM

"I would think they'd know a little something about pool to pay that money".

Not at all, I would never make that assumption. The actual voting member will most likely be some CEO who doesn't even play. I meet them at the trades shows, it takes about three sentences to find out they don't know a thing about pool even though they are in the business. I have run into a zillion pool room owners who don't have a clue.

recoveryjones
04-16-2004, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote

"I would think they'd know a little something about pool to pay that money".

Not at all, I would never make that assumption. The actual voting member will most likely be some CEO who doesn't even play. I meet them at the trades shows, it takes about three sentences to find out they don't know a thing about pool even though they are in the business. I have run into a zillion pool room owners who don't have a clue. <hr /></blockquote>

Good point Popcorn, I agree fully.The more I think about it, they should let THE PLAYERS be a least a part of a QUALIFIED selection commitee.$1000 doesn't buy you those qualifications and owning a pool hall doesn't either. Just my opinion. RJ