PDA

View Full Version : your circle of friends...mostly pool players?

ace895
04-15-2004, 04:08 PM
I have had many close friends in my past and in my present but, for one reason or another, many of my closest friends came from my local pool room. Is it just me or do we, as a pool culture, have a different bond amongst ourselves? Whom do you see as your closest friends... family, school friends, childhood friends, church buddies, bar buddies, co-workers, or pool room buddies? I wrote a sociology paper about this topic in college and really enjoyed the research. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

ace

Jimmy B
04-15-2004, 04:36 PM
All my close friends are people I knew growing up and went to school with, people I knew since 5th grade. I don't have any close friends from the pool room. IMO many people you meet in the pool room can't be trusted like true lifelong friends. I've also met more pool friends via the net (here or other NG's) then in my own pool room. sad but true.

JB

ace895
04-15-2004, 04:39 PM
i have heard that alot from people...i guess i have been lucky so far...however, the people i do pick to be friendly in the pool world are chosen very carefully.

Kato
04-15-2004, 07:30 PM
While it's true that I have some true pool room friends it's not where my main circle of friends lies.

I've probably made 40-50 friends on this board. Like Jimmy says, it's somethin'. Honestly though, there's just too many poeple you can't trust in the pool room.

Kato

dg-in-centralpa
04-15-2004, 07:38 PM
For me, my circle comes from several different places. My pool team although I wouldn't hang out with them other than league night except for one guy I graduated with, another circle are co-workers. We're competitors at work(real estate)but afterwards good friends, and a few others from past jobs.

DG - can never have enough friends

Popcorn
04-15-2004, 07:46 PM
I know a lot of people from the pool room but don't regard many as friends. I could right now think of dozens of people that have come and gone through my life from the pool world, but friends are few and far between. I actually try to keep my two worlds separate and don't socialize much with people from the pool room. I go there to play but not to hang out. I did when I was a kid but kind of out grew it. My most long term friends are from childhood some old neighbors. Just having a few things in common doesn't necessarily make someone your friend.

Rod
04-15-2004, 09:23 PM
well i do owe you a beer or two Kato. when are you gonna collect? your right i don't trust many of them at the room but i still have some friends there.

Rod

Chris Cass
04-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Believe it or not. My best friends I met here on the board. That would be Voodoo and Kato. They are my closest friends. Since then I've made many more. Barbara, Fran and Carol, Susan, comes to mind when I think of the wonderful women here.

All of my closest friends are here. I never really had any friends anywhere else. Some may think that's sad but I've never trusted anyone. There are many here that mean so much to me like Barry, Tom, Wally, Sid, Jon, Rod, Cheese and that kid with that twinkle in his eye JimmyB. LOL

Truthfully, I've had something special with many people here and I can't name all of them. The list would be long. Voodoo and Kato have been the closest. Before my surgery I really thought I wouldn't make it. I asked Voodoo and Kato to help my wife and son get through anything they had to for me.

I was prepared to beg, but both called everyday or atleast a couple times a week. They were there for me just as family. Alan S. and there's too many. Gosh, I just love the heck out of everyone here. If I didn't mention your name it's because I'm already at a loss for words.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Popcorn
04-15-2004, 11:04 PM
You were in the military, that usually forges friendships. I was only in briefly before it was cut short, but I do still stay in touch with a few.

=k=
04-16-2004, 06:48 AM
the people i play pool with are not close friends, sorry to say. I think one reason is when i play pool i do not want to socalize. I don't like small talk when i play.. i need to focus on each shot.. when not playing i want to watch how other players shoot differnt shots. i pick who i want to play, with this in mind.. on the other hand short skirts and low cut blouses >>>>>>>> i might as well go home.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2004, 06:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ace895:</font><hr> I have had many close friends in my past and in my present but, for one reason or another, many of my closest friends came from my local pool room. Is it just me or do we, as a pool culture, have a different bond amongst ourselves? Whom do you see as your closest friends... family,

<font color="blue">Most of my immediate family is dysfunctional. But my dad is normal fortunately. </font color>

school friends,

<font color="blue">There were 2 guys I kept in touch with. Sadly one is now dead. 25 years of cocaine and alcohol took its toll. Actually I didn't really hang out with him at all. I grew up and he didn't </font color>

childhood friends, church buddies,

<font color="blue">I go to a mega-church. It's a great place but I really don't know anybody there. </font color>

bar buddies,

<font color="blue">There are only 2 that I trust. </font color>

co-workers,

<font color="blue">When I worked at a much larger place I had some. Our office now only has 10 guys. One is a good friend. I worked with him at another place. We go to Indy-Car races. We play pool and he insists on playing 9-ball on a bar table and I have to give him the wild 6 out to make it even. </font color>

or pool room buddies?

<font color="blue">I consider TomCincy and a couple other guys as friends even though we never hang out except at the pool hall.

Most of the poolplayers I know are from the bar league. 99% I would not want to hang out with. Have a beer in the bar or play pool with maybe, but nothing past that.

I am friends with everybody on the 2 teams I play on. That's 10 people. My girlfriend plays on a ladies team with some really nice ladies whose husbands are all poolplayers and we all hang out together a lot.

It's funny, the last wedding I went to out of 100 people there were 75 poolplayers. They were all going thru withdrawal because there was no pool table at the reception.</font color>

I wrote a sociology paper about this topic in college and really enjoyed the research. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

ace <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Hope this helped. I guess my experience validates your theory somewhat, if only anecdotally. </font color>

pooltchr
04-16-2004, 07:26 AM
My pool team is made up of friends and co-workers. That's how we have managed to keep the team together so long. We were friends before we started up the team. I would say that most of my friends are pool players, simply because that is where I spend most of my time, but most pool players are not what I would consider friends.

Chris Cass
04-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi Popcorn,

Yes I did make one close friend named Joe Utz. He was from Philadelphia. He was my one and only close friend. Him and I would go to Savanna Ga every payday. Him and I would leave Ft. Stewart and drive down. We made tons of cash in a bar called Kings I think that was the name. That's where I met up with 2 bookies and Joe and I would play them some $30. 9ball. I'd come home with $400. to $600. everytime well, almost. LOL

I tried getting in touch with Joe after my TOD but never could. He shot with a TS hustler cue. He said his dad was friends with Tim. Anyway, he was the only one. The rest of the time I was trainning in Germany in the field at Graffenvier. Not much fun and my squad was one wild bunch. Bagnato from NYC, one guy from Tennesse and the rest I can't remember. We all made Sargent by 2 yrs. I made it in 18 mths. Poor Bagnato lost his stripes and was busted down to Pfc. He didn't pass a tinkle test and other things.

I never really became too close to them. They didn't have much in common with me. Joe was from a field artilary unit. He could play too. Him and I were really close.

Thanks for the memory,

C.C.~~should have mentioned Popcorn on my buddy list. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ObeOne
04-16-2004, 08:17 AM
My best friend as well as most of my other friends came from the poolhall. I only have a few friends that don't play pool.

Predator314
04-16-2004, 10:30 AM
When I first started high school, I hung out with people at school, then when I came home, I just mainly hung out with my neighbors. Some of the neighbors that I called friends moved away and then I was left with nobody to hang out with "after hours".

Along came the "Neutral Corner". This was a pool hall just below my house (walking distance...didn't have a vehicle at the time). I heard a lot of my baseball playing buddies went there. I always thought of the place as a redneck joint where people just went to get into trouble. I guess I had that same image in my mind for all pool halls. One of my baseball buddies talked me into going there one day and after a lot of hesitation, I finally went. I was opened up to a whole new world at that point.

I formed friendships with some of the best people on earth. All of my closest friends that I have now (about 12 years later) came from that small pool hall. We would meet there every night and get in a ring game or play in a tournament or just play pinball, air hockey, foosball, etc. On the weekends, we would meet and go out drinking or to a party. The owners took really good care of us. They would back us gambling with "outsiders", they threw us birthday parties, invited us to their cabin every summer for a softball tournament. They took us white water rafting one year. I look back and realize the years from the end of 10th grade up thru just after I graduated from college were the best years of my life. We were never bored. We all learned a great game (pool) and played it well. I wish I could shoot as good now as I did in my first few years of college. The game of pool was a side thing though. We all became VERY good friends that just happened to play pool.

The pool hall was shut down a couple years ago and opened as a bluegrass music place where bands come in and play. There aren't anymore pool tables, dart boards, pinball machines, video games, or poker machines anymore. The same people own the place.

I look back and I swear that pool hall was a big reason our circle of friends turned out to be relatively good people. We did our share of drinking and partying, but not one of us used drugs, committed any violent crimes, or anything of that nature. A few people in the crowd did get some DUIs, but all in all considering all the fun we had, we turned out to be a good bunch of people. We all have jobs, some are married, one is even a cop now.

In the past couple years, some of my friends have moved away and most all of them have quit shooting pool. There are still a couple of us that will get together and shoot in a friendly ring game (dollar in the 5 &amp; 9, or 2 on the 5, 2 on the 9, $5 for a double) or go to a bar and spend the whole night hustling drunks for beers or even their hard earned cash, but I think I'm the only person out of the crowd that still shoots on a consistent basis.

This post really took me down memory lane. I feel like an old man now (26 years old /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Predator314
04-16-2004, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote =k=:</font><hr> the people i play pool with are not close friends, sorry to say. I think one reason is when i play pool i do not want to socalize. I don't like small talk when i play.. i need to focus on each shot.. when not playing i want to watch how other players shoot differnt shots. i pick who i want to play, with this in mind.. on the other hand short skirts and low cut blouses &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; i might as well go home.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I like to socialize when I play pool. I have always played for fun, even when gambling. The whole reason I started going to a pool hall was to hang out and socialize. I just happened to run into a pool cue on the way in and learned how to play.

One of the owners that I talked about in my previous post used to back me in games pretty regular around the time I was a senior in high school up into college. One night I'm in the pool hall, he comes waltzing in (he wasn't working that night) and asks me if I'm up for a match. I said yeah, thinking that someone was coming in later. He said to hop in the car, he's driving. Obviously the match wasn't on my "home turf", but I didn't care. He never would tell me where the game was. A few minutes later, we roll into a strip club. First of all, I was only 17 at the time and not old enough to get in. However, it turns out the man I'm playing is the owner of that strip club. I had a hard time concentrating at the beginning /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but the guy turned out to be a chump. We started out heads up race to 5 for $100. A few hours later, we were playing a race to 7 for $300 with me spotting the guy the 7 and I never had a problem beating him. I lost one set the whole night and we were up a couple grand, which he split 50/50 with me. I probably could have spent that money in an hour if we didn't leave the strip club though.

You mentioned the short skirts and low cut blouses and that reminded me of this story. The girls in the club thought it was pretty entertaining that I was beating the crap out of their boss. I got a lot of the girls' attention and they wanted some of the money I was winning because everytime I would sit down, one would come up and start talking to me.

I didn't do too much shooting in strip clubs other than that one night, but I did spend a lot of time shooting in night clubs and bars and learned to deal with the distractions (girls, drunks.....ummmm girls /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Scott Lee
04-16-2004, 12:43 PM
I've lived in Bozeman, MT for the past 18 yrs. Most of my circle of friends here are poolplayers. My close friends in other parts of the country, are by-in-large, poolplayers too. I've also had the pleasure of developing many new friendships all across the country, right here on the CCB, which I also hold dear, and hope they grow and last forever! Pool IS the great equalizer, and all of us should be able to socialize and play too! Remember, pool is supposed to be FUN first! CC...You're still my good bud, even though you didn't mention me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LMAO

Scott Lee

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2004, 04:20 PM
I also forgot to mention the car club I used to belong to. The club is no longer in existance but we all get together at Christmas for a party.

DG - it was a fun club

mworkman
04-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Most of my best friends are pool players. But, we were great friends before we even started playing pool. Pool helped strengthen our friendships. It's fun just getting together at one of our houses and drinking a few beers and shooting some pool and just hanging out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
04-17-2004, 07:54 PM
One of these days Rod, one of these days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato~~~figures I'll have to head west one day.

Chris Cass
04-17-2004, 10:22 PM
oops, well your a given anyway. I have issues now days.

Sorry buddy,

C.C.

Popcorn
04-18-2004, 12:18 AM
From what I see on the internet, if I lived in Bozeman, MT, I would probably never leave, it looks like a nice place. After 9/11 we thought about moving to a place like that, we still do, we talk about it almost every day.. I live right by a major sea port that we are told would be a target for terrorists.

Scott Lee
04-19-2004, 04:16 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just jibing ya my friend! Hope you're feeling better!

Scott

Chris Cass
04-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi Scott,

You have no idea what that trip did for me. If it wasn't for you my friend. I would have never went alone. I would have been too scared to try driving with Spike.

I owe you buddy. Hey, now I'm practicing and my game is coming back strong. I went to Ia state after that. I placed like 25th out of the 98 entries in the masters. Even though I was worn out from VF. Now, I'm putting 5 packs togather. That's in 8 ball and 10 ball. Lastnight I ran a 6 pack in 9 ball on a bar box. I can see me coming back soon.

Soon it'll be 1 yr since my leaving the hospital in May. I'm in pain still and have those episodes like at VF but the bad news I was given the other day from the doc was, I doing well, my weight is stable, my swallowing is good. Then, tells me I'm addicted to the Vicadin. Well, I have been on it for almost 1 yr. I only take 2 to 3 max a day but Tylenol won't take that pain away. I need to talk to Voodoo and get some advice about the whole thing.

Bottom line, thanks Scott.

Regards,

C.C.

Scott Lee
04-19-2004, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Scott,

You have no idea what that trip did for me. If it wasn't for you my friend. I would have never went alone. I would have been too scared to try driving with Spike.

I owe you buddy. Hey, now I'm practicing and my game is coming back strong. I went to Ia state after that. I placed like 25th out of the 98 entries in the masters. Even though I was worn out from VF. Now, I'm putting 5 packs togather. That's in 8 ball and 10 ball. Lastnight I ran a 6 pack in 9 ball on a bar box. I can see me coming back soon.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...You know I was happy to be able to make the trip happen for both you and Spike! Next year, I expect to see BOTH of you in the $$$! LOL Running 6-packs, huh? Geez, guess I be getting the wild 7 from you next time we play! LOL Seriously, congrats on the great finish in IA, and best wishes for continued success on the tables! Give Heidi &amp; Spike a hug for me too!

Scott

stickman
04-19-2004, 02:09 PM
That's great news! Stay tuff and you'll be back as ever or better in no time. I'm working hard on my game as well. 5 packs, 6 packs? Uh, I just have to settle for a few singles here and there for now.

Sorry about the pain. If I had any idea how to help, other than prayer, I would.

Jim ~~~~~Scott's a great guy. I'm glad he was there for you.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Friends,

I am thankful that I have met some wonderful people by way of this forum.

I would say that most of my friends are pool players, but the remainder of my friends barely know that I play pool at all. (that may go for some of my pool buddies also, from the way I've been playing lately)

My closest friends are my family. I consider my self lucky in this regard.

cheesemouse
04-20-2004, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Scott,

Soon it'll be 1 yr since my leaving the hospital in May. I'm in pain still and have those episodes like at VF but the bad news I was given the other day from the doc was, I doing well, my weight is stable, my swallowing is good. Then, tells me I'm addicted to the Vicadin. Well, I have been on it for almost 1 yr. I only take 2 to 3 max a day but Tylenol won't take that pain away. I need to talk to Voodoo and get some advice about the whole thing.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Now I gotta have the snaps..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
04-20-2004, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I know a lot of people from the pool room but don't regard many as friends. I could right now think of dozens of people that have come and gone through my life from the pool world, but friends are few and far between.. My most long term friends are from childhood some old neighbors. Just having a few things in common doesn't necessarily make someone your friend. <hr /></blockquote>

This is so true. A true friend is such a gift and they are few. While it is natural to develop associations with those who have a common hobby with a person and I do like a few of the people at the PH and look forward to seeing them, I cannot say that they are close friends.

I have heard it said that if a person has 5 true friends in a lifetime, they are among the fortunate. Friends who I can count on through thick and thin and they can count on me the same way with a high level of honesty saying what is needed, rather than 'people pleasing'? I would count 2, maybe 3, with a couple more on the fringes. I also think it develops over time and the ones that are true friends, that friendship developed over years.

I think that there are different levels of friendship too. Lots of people I like here, even those I have never met and some who I think I could be close with if we lived closer, but to me you are my ccb friends. &lt;G&gt;

But, in my observation over the years, not here perse, I have met many that do not understand the level of friendship that I refer to and I think that Popcorn is talking about.

Thanks Popcorn for your comments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

cheesemouse
04-20-2004, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ace895:</font><hr> I have had many close friends in my past and in my present but, for one reason or another, many of my closest friends came from my local pool room. Is it just me or do we, as a pool culture, have a different bond amongst ourselves? Whom do you see as your closest friends... family, school friends, childhood friends, church buddies, bar buddies, co-workers, or pool room buddies? I wrote a sociology paper about this topic in college and really enjoyed the research. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

ace <hr /></blockquote>

If I could look into the future and see my six pallbearers I would bet atleast three of them would be pool players......hehehe... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
04-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi ya Cheese,

The funny thing was I had to be told about it. I was zoning for sure. Weird how that works. You don't realize anything. All I knew is that I was breaking quite a bit. LOL The best part is I don't remember any short racks. I do remember one 10 ball rack I made 4 off the snap.

The snap? I never give up the snaps. I know better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Voodoo Daddy
04-20-2004, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Soon it'll be 1 yr since my leaving the hospital in May. I'm in pain still and have those episodes like at VF but the bad news I was given the other day from the doc was, I doing well, my weight is stable, my swallowing is good. Then, tells me I'm addicted to the Vicadin. Well, I have been on it for almost 1 yr. I only take 2 to 3 max a day but Tylenol won't take that pain away. I need to talk to Voodoo and get some advice about the whole thing.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

[b]Bro...your hooked, I told you it would happen. Now you get to ween yourself off them bad boys and thats gonna be a bitch. You can call and I can offer a solution. Once you kick them &lt;it'll take a couple months&gt; it'll take 3-6 months for your eyes, mind and body to re-adjust to the new nonaddicted to Vicoden CC...HAHAHAHA. We'll get through it dude, I took ten a day for years so I know what your feelin'.

Scott Lee
04-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Popcorn...You're right! Bozeman is a beautiful place, and very nice to live. There's a reason Montana is called the "last best place in America"! Bozeman and Big Sky, in particular, seem to hold a greater appeal, and are viewed by many many as the next "Aspen". Sadly, that has drive up property values, and taxes along with them! Us locals tell people when they ask, "Don't come! We've got 10 feet of snow, and grizzly bears in the backyard!" LOL...and both of those are true! LMAO However, in my travels, I've seen most every part of the country, and there are beautiful and "nice" places most everywhere...in FL as well!

Scott

Chris Cass
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi Voodoo,

I never thought about it. I don't really get high. Just gets rid of some of the discomfort with my lack of muscles. After that 2mth induced coma they gave me these things 2 every 4 hrs. Now, since leaving the hospital I've been 1 every 4 hrs and only when I'm moving around.

It does make sence. They say 2 beers a day and your an alchoholic. I do notice my eyes messing up when I play. Everything gets kinda blurry and sometimes I see spots. I see edges around the balls and they're grey. This made me think I need to get my eyes fixed but know I don't know if it's the eyes at all?

Anyway, thanks and BTW I knew you would and could help me with the mental side of anything.

Regards,

C.C.~~good to see Voodoo in print. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif