PDA

View Full Version : New eBay Spoof Scam!

Barbara
04-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Yesterday I received an email from eBay warning me that someone tried to hack into my account from a foreign login and that I should protect myself and my account by registering with "eBayProtect". The link they provide asks you for all you precious account info, including bank and credit card information.

Well folks, this is just another eBay spoof scam, so don't fall for it.

Barbara

Cueless Joey
04-17-2004, 10:02 AM
One guy at work got taken by this scam.
He emailed them his password for Ebay and Paypal.
Next thing you know somebody was buying stuff under his acct.

dg-in-centralpa
04-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I've gotten that also. I sent a few of these to Ebay hoping they can do something. All I get is an automated "Thank you we're working on it."

DG - not sure what to think

Troy
04-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Norton AntiVirus® has been catching most of these scams for me lately. I have the updated 2002 edition and get automatic on-line updates.

Troy...~~~ If they need my account updated, they'll ask me to logon.

Barbara
04-17-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Troy...~~~ If they need my account updated, they'll ask me to logon. <hr /></blockquote>

That's exactly correct, people don't understand that eBay will not provide a link in an email and that you have to go to their site to logon.

It's scary, these spoofs look too real.

Barbara

<font color="blue">The secret to success is to know who to blame for your mistakes.</font color>

Barbara
04-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Duane,

Done that, too.

Barbara

<font color="blue">If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.</font color>

Barbara
04-17-2004, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> One guy at work got taken by this scam.
Next thing you know somebody was buying stuff under his acct. <hr /></blockquote>

Ouch!! Did the get the guys scamming you friend?

Barbara

<font color="blue">It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.</font color>

highsea
04-17-2004, 11:00 AM
I've received numerous of these hi-jack attempts in the last few months, targeting my ebay acount, Paypal account, checking account and various credit card accounts.

One attempt actually copied the login page for my Bank's online banking site and sent it to me in an email. Of course the links were dummied to send the login info to the thief.

Pretty clumsy attempts, for the most part.

Just remember that you will never,ever, be asked for security information in an email by a legitimate party.

There was one instance of a much more sophisticated attempt. The thieves actually duplicated one of my credit card sites on another server and redirected the DNS record to their server. I recognized the phony domain name when I tried to access my account, so I didn't enter in my name and password. BTW, this happened in a cyber cafe in Costa Rica. The thieves had setup a DNS server of their own, and had the computers in the cyber-cafe pointed at their server for address resolution.

-CM

Cueless Joey
04-17-2004, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> One guy at work got taken by this scam.
Next thing you know somebody was buying stuff under his acct. <hr /></blockquote>

Ouch!! Did the get the guys scamming you friend?

Barbara

<font color="blue">It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>
Nope. But, he's lucky b/c Paypal refunded most of his money or cancelled the sales.
Joey~Checks My Ebay daily. Who knows some old widow will put a "billiard" cue with ebony points, propellers, blades and stitching for a buy it now $175?~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
04-17-2004, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>
There was one instance of a much more sophisticated attempt. The thieves actually duplicated one of my credit card sites on another server and redirected the DNS record to their server. I recognized the phony domain name when I tried to access my account, so I didn't enter in my name and password. BTW, this happened in a cyber cafe in Costa Rica. The thieves had setup a DNS server of their own, and had the computers in the cyber-cafe pointed at their server for address resolution.

-CM

<hr /></blockquote>

Well that's scary! Good for you that you figured it out!

Barbara

<font color="blue">Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.</font color>