PDA

View Full Version : Alignment of cue under chin, or dominant eye

Leviathan
04-18-2004, 05:57 AM
I believe that many instructors now advise players to align the cue under the chin, and many top players actually shoot this way. However, other top players align the cue more or less under their dominant eye. Well, I'm curious: how did players of the Johnson City era and previous eras align their cues? Lassiter, Fats, Beenie Weanie, Worst, Cokes, Mosconi, etc.? I get the impression that alignment under the chin may be a newer approach (in pool, as opposed to snooker), but I'm not at all sure about this.

Thanks,
AS

Frank_Glenn
04-18-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I believe that many instructors now advise players to align the cue under the chin, and many top players actually shoot this way. However, other top players align the cue more or less under their dominant eye. Well, I'm curious: how did players of the Johnson City era and previous eras align their cues? Lassiter, Fats, Beenie Weanie, Worst, Cokes, Mosconi, etc.? I get the impression that alignment under the chin may be a newer approach (in pool, as opposed to snooker), but I'm not at all sure about this.

Thanks,
AS <hr /></blockquote>

The older players used a more upright stance (they did not get low over their stick). You can see some of them shoot on ESPN later this month.

Scott Lee
04-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Frank...I play with that same 'more upright stance', but the cue is still aligned under my chin. The older players did the same thing. As an instructor, what I teach, is to align the head, wrist, elbow, and shoulder. All of them should be in line with the cuestick. This allows for the most accurate delivery of the cuestick through the cueball.
BTW, nice meeting you at VF.

Scott Lee

Frank_Glenn
04-19-2004, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Frank...I play with that same 'more upright stance', but the cue is still aligned under my chin. The older players did the same thing. As an instructor, what I teach, is to align the head, wrist, elbow, and shoulder. All of them should be in line with the cuestick. This allows for the most accurate delivery of the cuestick through the cueball.
BTW, nice meeting you at VF.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it's just harder to tell in the videos I have seen how one is aligned with the more upright stance. I enjoyed meeting you, also.

1Time
04-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Centering your chin over the cue is just a starting point from which you can deviate to see what works best.

My stance is mostly upright, I shoot right-handed and the cue is centered between my chin and left (dominant) eye.

BLACKHEART
04-21-2004, 08:36 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif I grew up playing, with my chin resting on my Q. I was very effective this way,until I got older &amp; had to use bifocal glasses. Now, when I take my stance, over the ball, I'm looking OVER the top of my glasses &amp; everything is a big blurr. A warning to younger players is,that the more upright stance ,is one that will suit you well for your whole life. It is very difficult to change, after so many years...JER

Chopstick
04-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I once heard Irving Crane say that it is aligned with the center of vision. This would put it more towards the weaker eye where the strength of both eyes are equal. This would maximize the visual parallax and parallax is where distance judgement comes from. I was checking Earl Strickland on a few videos. One video he was dominant eye, the next one he was centered, and then I saw him on TV playing with sunglasses. Who knows? I guess it's where ever you can make ball.