PDA

View Full Version : would it change the feel and hit ?

justbrake
04-18-2004, 07:27 AM
I was thinking of purchasing an old cue that has a nice feel and balance to it but it's got a lot of nicks and needs refinishing, would refinishing change the feel and hit if it is redone?

Frank_Glenn
04-18-2004, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I was thinking of purchasing an old cue that has a nice feel and balance to it but it's got a lot of nicks and needs refinishing, would refinishing change the feel and hit if it is redone? <hr /></blockquote>

It shouldn't chnge the hit much unless the shaft needs to be drastically sanded. Even then, it shouldn't change it much. The most likely thing to change the feel is putting a different type of tip on it. Changing from a soft to a hard tip will really change the way a cue "hits" what ever that means.

Troy
04-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Refinishing should not change the "feel &amp; hit".
Changing the tip will cause a change.
Changing the ferrule will cause a change.
Changing the joint will cause a change.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I was thinking of purchasing an old cue that has a nice feel and balance to it but it's got a lot of nicks and needs refinishing, would refinishing change the feel and hit if it is redone? <hr /></blockquote>

justbrake
04-18-2004, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I was thinking of purchasing an old cue that has a nice feel and balance to it but it's got a lot of nicks and needs refinishing, would refinishing change the feel and hit if it is redone? <hr /></blockquote>

It shouldn't chnge the hit much unless the shaft needs to be drastically sanded. Even then, it shouldn't change it much. The most likely thing to change the feel is putting a different type of tip on it. Changing from a soft to a hard tip will really change the way a cue "hits" what ever that means. <hr /></blockquote>

is it possible to get a shaft made up as good as the originals that come with this cue, the ones that are with this cue are a little worn out.the guy thats selling it said pete tascarella will redo the cue but I foregot to ask him if he could make up a duplicate shaft as a good as an original for it.so could a shaft be as good as an original?

BLACKHEART
04-18-2004, 07:28 PM
What brand of Q is it?...JER

Frank_Glenn
04-18-2004, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is it possible to get a shaft made up as good as the originals that come with this cue, the ones that are with this cue are a little worn out.the guy thats selling it said pete tascarella will redo the cue but I foregot to ask him if he could make up a duplicate shaft as a good as an original for it.so could a shaft be as good as an original? <hr /></blockquote>
You would need to ask him, and it may depend on how "good" the shaft wood was on the original. As far as duplicating a ring patern, that can be done, but not always cheaply. Some materials used 20 or more years ago are now hard to find.

justbrake
04-19-2004, 02:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> What brand of Q is it?...JER <hr /></blockquote>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3672029083&amp;category=21 212&amp;sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT&amp;rd=1

I bought this cue off this guy at one of the poolrooms I go to,The stick hits nice and feels good but it has it's cosmetic problems and some of the shafts are worn around the ring and ferrule but I figure it was worth to try to restore it! "I hope I could get a shaft as equal to the originals "to keep the hit!

SpiderMan
04-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Nice cue. Is it "no longer available" on Ebay because you bought it?

I have two Pete Margo "bullet" Palmers. They play very well, and those spliced butts with veneers that were used in them are very collectible. This would be an excellent play cue if refinished.

I had Bill Schick look at mine a couple of years ago for potential refinishing, but he said that since I no longer play with them it would be best not to. The reason was, if I sell them someday to a collector, most of those guys want to make their own refinishing decisions so I wouldn't be able to recover the investment.

Hopefully you can retain the old shafts. The ferrules on those cues were a type of capped ferrule that I have not seen made in years, some sort of semi-translucent material with the tenon only penetrating about 3/4 of the way through it. As Troy pointed out, a different ferrule will change the hit.

If the shafts are just dirty and dinged up, a careful mechanic can make them almost like new. DON'T hand those shafts over to someone who will try to just sand them smooth. They should be deep cleaned, then each individual dent swelled out using moisture and heat. Then, only a very light sanding with very fine papers to put back the gloss.

SpiderMan

justbrake
04-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi-SpiderMan, The guy knows Pete Tascarella and said that if he isn't busy that he would refinish the cue but talking to Tateuts he showed me that scott finished one just like it so maybe I should go with scott from proficiant

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/examples/palmerlatest.htm

Thanks for the heads up on the shafts! info

Steve