PDA

View Full Version : I've got a lot of balls

stickman
04-18-2004, 09:43 AM
I clean the tables and polish the balls at one of the local poolhalls. Some of the balls have had a rough life. I couldn't get some of them to shine anymore. I finally built my heavy duty ball polisher, and it works great. (Not for home use.) I got a clothes dryer motor for free. It was a fairly new one. The motor was perfect with a bracket and stand. I ordered two 6" buffs, 1/2" wide and installed them on the motor shaft. I use a tripoli (Brown) all purpose cut and color compound bar to dress the buffs. I place a bar rag over the inside of a spray can lid, and drop a ball in the lid. I use the can lid to hold the ball while I spin the ball against the buffing wheels. The old dull balls gleam, and look new other than the nicks and stratches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

ras314
04-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Hmmm...and people talk about the cb and one ball wearing down faster due to use....

Obviously you to need to run the 2 thru 15 thru that heavy duty polisher at little longer. LOL

Tiabin
04-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Post a link to some pictures!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stickman
04-18-2004, 06:59 PM
I'll get some pictures made. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

SpiderMan
04-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Does the ball turn as you buff it, or do you have to take it out and re-position to get the other side?

Does this make the balls smaller after a few treatments, like the "hourglass" shafts of guys who like to sand their cues?

SpiderMan

stickman
04-19-2004, 02:43 PM
It spins in the cap against the buffing wheel. There is a trick to it though. Without the bar rag or towel the ball spins about a million miles an hour. The plastic cap will even begin to melt. With a rag over the cap it is best to squeeze the sides of the cap just a little to allow the balls to spin at a reasonable speed. Without squeezing, the ball wants to stick or spin at a very slow speed. The first time, it took a little bit to get the shine back. I do them once a week, and it takes very little time to shine them after the initial polish. I'm sure the polishing has some effect on the balls size over the long run, but it won't be nearly the effect created by consisent play. I see the scuffs on the balls caused by chalk when I clean them and it is far more abrasive than polish. Eventually, the balls just have to be replaced. I've had players complain about a lack of shine on the balls, because it is more difficult aim.

Jim

cycopath
04-20-2004, 09:55 AM
I swear Stickman is the MacGyver of the pool world.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif