PDA

View Full Version : Shrinking pool balls

griffith_d
04-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Some friends of mine has a discussion of "shrinking balls" and I said I have never heard of that. Has anyone had shrinking pool balls.

Griff

Nostroke
04-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Yep- They wear down after a while- At one poolroom i frequent some players were complaining that they couldnt rack becasue the balls were old and worn to dif sizes.The owner didn't believe it. The next day another guy who had heard the discussion came in with a micrometer and a scientific scale. I dont remember the exact variance among balls but there were huge differences in both weight and diameter. The owner bought a few new sets after that. These were Centennials just in case you were wondering.

stickman
04-18-2004, 07:12 PM
It makes sense to me. Balls in a commercial pool room take a beating, and my polisher would eventually cause the balls to shrink over time. I know some the balls in one local poolhall is from ten to fifteen or more years old.

Cueless Joey
04-18-2004, 08:16 PM
They do. Polishers might have to do with that too.
Check an old cueball, put it between two balls then put the triangle on top of the 3 balls.
Check the cueball. You might be shocked. If you've been hitting the balls too thick, a smaller cueball might be the culprit.

recoveryjones
04-18-2004, 08:20 PM
For sure they shrink. The one ball just takes a pounding in nine ball and the 1-9 are used more than the 10-15.

Sometimes when I'm trying to give someone a good rack in nine ball, I end up switching a ball or more around to get them tight to the one ball when the others won't co-operate.

I'm not surprised that good measuring devices detect different shapes and weights.The cheaper priced balls are especially suspect. RJ

griffith_d
04-18-2004, 08:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> They do. Polishers might have to do with that too.
Check an old cueball, put it between two balls then put the triangle on top of the 3 balls.
Check the cueball. You might be shocked. If you've been hitting the balls too thick, a smaller cueball might be the culprit. <hr /></blockquote>

So the phenolic resin just shrinks? Would the better quality balls shrink less?

Would the shrinking occur without use. So the constant pounding just makes microfine chips you cannot see?

Griff

Popcorn
04-18-2004, 11:05 PM
My guess would be, they compress and become smaller but no material is actually lost. They are not as hard as you may think. I have made things like tool handles and stuff out of old pool balls. They drill and cut very easy. I made a set of house numbers for a friend. I cut the balls in half and he mounted them. They did not last long though, they faded very quickly.

Rod
04-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Griff, they wear out. I have measured balls at .030 out of round. The c/b wears out too. Old worn balls never rack very well, your always turning balls so they settle in a good tight position but they never really get tight. You can tell when their pushed up in the rack. The second two may be frozen on the head ball but not touching each other. If you get them to touch, then there is a gap between them and the rack. It even effects top and low english to a small degree since the weight keeps changing depending on which ball you shoot. In a room that has lot's of nineball players or tournaments, the one through 9 are always the smallest balls, especially the one.

Rod

Bob_Jewett
04-19-2004, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> So the phenolic resin just shrinks? Would the better quality balls shrink less?<hr /></blockquote>
No, the balls actually wear down. Chalk is made of finely ground sand in a binder. Every time you shoot, and especially when you miscue, you are taking sandpaper to the cue ball. Every time a ball moves across dirty cloth, it is rubbing on sand paper.

Polishing machines can also wear balls down. Where I often play, they use a machine on each set every day, and you can actually feel that the numbers (black part) wear down faster than the surrounding white part (called the "eye").

On cue balls, you can see a "red circle" gradually change into a "faint pink circle" cue ball.

You can tell that the balls don't just shrink -- which is not impossible if the plastic is still curing, I suppose -- by weighing them. Old balls are lighter.

I think that the quality of the balls has little to do with this, although the high-end Aramith sets are said to have a special surface treatment. I think that after six months of play on dirty cloth, and the special surface is gone.

DMoney1644
04-19-2004, 06:41 PM
the shift knob in my corolla is a 12 ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SPetty
04-19-2004, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DMoney1644:</font><hr> the shift knob in my corolla is a 12 ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>Did you do that yourself? Why did you choose the 12 ball?

Rod
04-19-2004, 08:04 PM
SPetty, the one in my old 57 pickup is a 9 ball. There easy to drill and tap since they are plastic. The hard part if any is getting the hole centered. A lathe makes short order of that but I didn't have a lathe handy. LOL

Rod