PDA

View Full Version : Traveling...Re: Searches and Security

04-29-2002, 09:44 AM
For those of you who haven't flown much lately, be prepared for things at the airport like full body searches and long lines at metal detectors. Allow for enough time.

Every airport is different, but in San Diego, there was a 2 hour wait on the security line at 6AM. It depends on how the airport is configured. At San Diego, there were about 5 airlines feeding into the same security line. That's bad. At NY LaGuardia, the wait usually doesn't exceed 20 minutes, but it also depends on time of day. I'm not sure how the Vegas airport is configured but I'm going to check it out when I arrive so I know what I'll be in for when I leave.

Also, they're randomly pulling people over for a full body search at both the metal detectors and at the gates. They touch you ALL over (women do women and men do men) and you had better not say anything. There are now signs everywhere that tell you if you joke around you could be arrested. Yikes.

They nailed me three times in one day. Twice at LaGuardia, at the metal detector and again at the gate, and once in Houston at the gate. Besides the body search, I had to take off my shoes which they ran through a machine. Then they put on gloves and inspected my feet (nice foot rub..ha!)and put their hands up my pants legs. Then they take out every single item in your carry-on, including your purse.

They are very, very serious so don't take it lightly.

Just thought I'd warn you in advance.

Fran

04-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Sounds like they are finally doing what the Israeli's have been doing for YEARS. It's a royal pain, but you can bet that you'll get to your destination in one piece.

Eric.
04-29-2002, 10:08 AM
Hi Fran,

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying to arrange a weekender and was wondering if any other CCB'ers are going. If so, then Sat. would make a good party night! After all this is Vegas.

Eric >thinking about Lost Wages(Vegas)

cuechick
04-29-2002, 10:46 AM
This brings a whole new meaning to "Fear of Flying"!!
Thanks for the heads up, Fran.

Doctor_D
04-29-2002, 10:53 AM
Good afternoon:

Amtrak, although not practical for cross country travel, is sounding better and better every day !!!

Dr. D.

04-29-2002, 12:52 PM
Germany has been running daily trips with paying customers on a prototype train called the "Maglev" for some time now.

It looks like a monorail, with the track being mounted on supports that keep the train up above the ground. This makes it able to zip right over roads. The train is completely clamped to the track, so that even with a crane, you couldn't pull the thing off.

Now here's where it gets really cool...

The train has no moving parts. It uses magnetism to levitate it (just barely, but enough to where there is no friction other than air), and to pull it down the track. They are running it daily, with paying passengers, at 300 MPH. In tests, with the train empty, they have run it at 500 MPH.

I would love to see something like this in this country.

Rod
04-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Wow Mike that sounds really cool. After some years in racing at 160 mph, it sounds like something I could really get into. Europe always has the neat stuff first. I wonder how long it takes to get up to speed? I think I'll do a search to find out more information. Of course then you'd have to fly over (on a Concorde maby) to take a ride on a train. I've never heard of that aspect, but I'm sure it must happen, if you have the cubic $$$.

04-29-2002, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I would get a huge kick out of going 300 MPH, whisper quiet, at just 10 or 20 feet off the ground! Think of it, there's not even any engine noise, since there's no engine!

Barbara
04-29-2002, 03:10 PM
Fran,

When I flew back from JAX, I was searched 4 times over by the female security guard. The wire in my bra was of great concern to them, plus the metal rods in the heels of my boots.

Funny thing is, I have a higher gov't security clearance than they do.

Barbara~~~changing a few articles of clothing this time around...

jjinfla
04-30-2002, 05:12 AM
Barbara, Was that your Super Salute in BD's mailbag? It pays to make nice to the boss. Jake

Ralph S.
04-30-2002, 04:18 PM
I personally am not keen on being body searched, but I do understand and see it's necessity.
Ralph S.

Barbara
04-30-2002, 07:53 PM
Although the name sounds familiar. I think that Barbara is solely a bar league player and Reading is 1 1/2 hours from Philly.

When I went on a break during my stint at the amateur TD's desk, I ran into Allen talking to someone. Allen said hi and I said, "If you think about making this amateur event bigger, I'll kill you." This was Saturday, after my first 18-hour day and we were looking at another 2 am wrap-up. Then I go to Parsippany. And the owner, Bill, remembers seeing me at VF. Turns out he was the person Allen was talking to when I made that comment to him.

Barbara~~~okay, I really didn't mean to threaten him...

#### leonard
05-03-2002, 12:14 PM
Irving Crane took a train to play in the Worlds Tournament in California in around 1970 when he arrived 5 days later he found they were not using the Brunswick Centennials balls that their flyer had listed and demanded that they use the Centennials or he would get back on the train and go home. Only Irving could pull that off,of course they changed the balls.####

05-03-2002, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure I agree. I doubt terrorists would try the same trick again. They should instead be watching for where they're going to strike next, not where they struck last. JMO.

dino ~ kind of glad i'm not going to vegas

Chris Cass
05-03-2002, 08:20 PM
Hi Ralph,

I can deal with the body searches but if they mention cavity, I'm going to jail for sure. Them are fighting words. IMO

Regards,

C.C.

cuechick
05-04-2002, 06:42 AM
Does anyone one know if there is a list published somewhere on the web of what can and can not be brought on a plane? I seem to recall a problem with batteries? Am I imagining this?

05-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Seems like Maglev will be used to connect Washington with Baltimore...in 2010...read:
http://www.bwmaglev.com/about/p_overview.htm

Ron C in SC

Alfie
05-04-2002, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> Does anyone one know if there is a list published somewhere on the web of what can and can not be brought on a plane? I seem to recall a problem with batteries? Am I imagining this? <hr></blockquote>
http://www.faa.gov/apa/tipbroch.htm