PDA

View Full Version : Schon vs. Schuler

Nightstalker
04-19-2004, 12:36 PM
I have been trying to decide on a new cue. My choice right now is between the Schon STL-7 and the Schuler SC230. As far as looks go I like the Schon better though it does cost a little more than the Schuler. I have read many positive comments about Schon cues and how well they hit and feel. I have seen the Schuler for as low as $517.50 so it is looking like the better buy. I love the joint design on the Schuler and how I can choose between such a wide variety of shaft tapers. I think the American or Super Pro taper would suit my needs quite well. Any input? Thanks.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

kenz54
04-19-2004, 08:43 PM
I have never shot with a Schon but I do own a Schuler SLC240. Which cue you like better is very much a personal opinion I am sure but what I can tell you is that I absolutely love the Schuler. The balance is superb. The joint is first rate. It has great "feel" for touch shots. I use a Schuler Pro shaft and it is very stiff. I was lucky I got to try different shafts before I bought and felt the Schuler Pro was what I was looking for in a shaft. I hope this helps. I would be glad to help you if you have any other questions. Kenz54

Rod
04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
I play with a Schon and like it very much. As far as shafts go, a Schon isn't the tipical weaker pro straight taper. It is a firmer shaft since it tends to get larger right away. You should, if possible, play with one since there shafts are all the same. Call Evan at Schon or send an email and inquire. As a note i sent a shaft to have the ferrule replaced, he said 3 or 4 days turn around. Well I waited but it didn't come. I called Evan and said what's the deal? Something happened, but he did send it out no charge to me, 2nd day air. You can always change a tip for a different feel of hit, no matter which cue you buy.

Rod

WaltVA
04-20-2004, 08:36 AM
I've never shot with a Schuler, but have 3 Schons and love them. I bought the first (an old R-14) in 1991, after I had been shoooting with a McDermott for years. The second, an STL-11, I got from a guy at a tournament simply because it was a good buy. I now shoot with an STL-7 with a 12.5 mm tip I bought a couple of years ago from a friend.

I also bought a Predator in 1999 but quickly sold it, as I did not have the sense of 'feel' on touch shots that I did with the Schon. I also like the slimmer butt on the Schons.

Since I bought all 3 of these used, I'd say they held their value well.

Walt in VA

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Thank you for that nice post, Walt. Since you have owned 3 of them over a long period of time your comments weigh heavily compared to others. I myself was thinking if I went with the STL-7 that I would use a 12.5mm tip diameter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dooziexx
04-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Nightstalker,
Check you pm.. Thanks!

PQQLK9
04-20-2004, 10:38 AM
FWIW I love my Schon LTD804 with the 12.5mm shaft.

Fred Agnir
04-20-2004, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Thank you for that nice post, Walt. Since you have owned 3 of them over a long period of time your comments weigh heavily compared to others. I myself was thinking if I went with the STL-7 that I would use a 12.5mm tip diameter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote> I like Schoens. I also like Schulers. I own 3 Schulers right now, and use an SC250 as my main shooting cue. FWIW.

Fred

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Do any of you think it would be unwise of me to purchase a Schon or other nicer quality cue when I have a Fury NR-1 already?

Fred Agnir
04-20-2004, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Do any of you think it would be unwise of me to purchase a Schon or other nicer quality cue when I have a Fury NR-1 already? <hr /></blockquote>It would not be unwise to purchase a Schön or other nicer quality cue, IMO.

Fred

Predator314
04-20-2004, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr>

I also bought a Predator in 1999 but quickly sold it, as I did not have the sense of 'feel' on touch shots that I did with the Schon. I also like the slimmer butt on the Schons.

<hr /></blockquote>

I don't like the slimmer butt on the Schons. That's one reason I didn't buy one. I had been wanting a Schon for a while. But, one of my friends let me use his for a couple nights and I just didn't like it. My biggest complaint was the slim butt. I've grown to really like the Predator cues over the past few years. The Schons and Predators were totally different worlds in my opinion. I had planned on putting a Predator shaft on the Schon, but that wouldn't have helped.

I've shot with many people that love the Schon cues though. They will play with nothing else. They are well-made cues and if you like the way they play, I would recommend one.

I've never shot with a Schuler though.

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Would anyone think that there would be a lengthy adjustment period by switching from the Fury to a Schon? I appreciate these replies very much.

irunrax
04-20-2004, 03:39 PM
I have owned and shot with many different cues, but when i shot with a Schuler i knew it was the one. I suggest you shoot with one of each if possible and then make up your mind. I personally do not care for schon, although they are well constructed, just do not like the way they feel(all around play).

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 03:48 PM
What taper do you use on your Schuler cue?

SPetty
04-20-2004, 07:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> My biggest complaint was the slim butt. I've grown to really like the Predator cues over the past few years. The Schons and Predators were totally different worlds in my opinion. I had planned on putting a Predator shaft on the Schon, but that wouldn't have helped.<hr /></blockquote>That's funny. I've recently been thinking of whether it would be possible to get the butt of my Predator turned down to be a bit thinner... I think I'd like a thinner butt on my cue... Well, I'd like a thinner butt on my butt, too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

WaltVA
04-20-2004, 08:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote irunrax:</font><hr> ....I suggest you shoot with one of each if possible and then make up your mind.... <hr /></blockquote>
Absolutely! The hit and feel of a cue is so subjective that what feels ideal to one person may feel like a 2x4 to another. When you hit a few with the 'right one' you get the feeling that "this is it - what I've been looking for." Lots of luck with whatever your choice - Enjoy!
Walt in Va

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks! I will likely try some out and go from there. I appreciate the replies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

irunrax
04-21-2004, 07:57 PM
I shoot with the pro taper. I also have a super pro, this is what i originally bought, but found the pro to be more for me. P.S.-sorry for the late response.

Big_Jon
04-21-2004, 08:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr>
My biggest complaint was the slim butt. I've grown to really like the Predator cues over the past few years. The Schons and Predators were totally different worlds in my opinion. I had planned on putting a Predator shaft on the Schon, but that wouldn't have helped.
<hr /></blockquote>

Why don't you just put a schon shaft on an older predator butt??? (they used to have a 5/16-14 screw i think) I also don't like the thinner butts, they just feel wrong, so when i made my cue, its "meaty" bigger at the joint and butt than my pechauer, and much bigger than a schon, and makes a Meucci feel like a tooth pick /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, it's a tight fit in my instroke, if that gives you any ideas...

Thanks,

Jon

Nightstalker
04-21-2004, 08:31 PM
I like slim butts and I cannot lie, you other brothas can't deny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif