PDA

View Full Version : Be honest.

Qtec
04-19-2004, 04:25 PM
White House, Saudis: No election deal on oil
Kerry rips report of election-related deal

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The White House and a top Saudi official denied Monday a report of a deal to lower gasoline prices before the November presidential election.

The Bush administration did say it has received assurances from Saudi Arabia that oil prices will stay in the range of $22 to $28 per barrel, but said the recent discussions have nothing to do with presidential politics.

"There was no secret deal," White House spokesman Dan Bartlett told CNN.

And a top Saudi official denied his country is taking any action to affect oil prices for political purposes.

"The allegation that the kingdom is manipulating the price of oil for political purposes or to affect elections is erroneous and has no basis in fact," Saudi Foreign Policy Adviser Adel al-Jubeir said in a statement.

Record-high gasoline prices have become a hot issue in the presidential race.

Journalist Bob Woodward described a pact on oil prices between Bush and Saudi ambassador Prince Bandar bin Sultan. Woodward discussed the alleged deal during an interview Sunday on CBS' "60 Minutes" where he talked about his new book on Bush.

The White House initially did not respond directly to the charges of an election deal, saying only that the administration had talked with Saudi officials about oil prices.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/19/bush.oil/vert.bushmug.ap.jpg

Does he look guilty? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bigshooter
04-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Simple political spin by John Kerry - nothing more.
Heres the same story from a more credible news source.

Monday, April 19, 2004
Kerry Claims Bush Has Secret Gasoline Deal With Saudis

LAKE WORTH, Fla. - When John Kerry finally deigned to show up more than an hour late today at a rally of Palm Beach County Democrats baking in the sun, he insisted on calling the campaign event a "town meeting" and a "conversation," but he did most of the talking, including a harsher-than-usual attack on President Bush.

Of course, the Kerry campaign's open "invitation" to the public meant that only Kerry supporters got close enough for "impromptu" questions -- the rest were cordoned off.

Citing an appearance last night by pro-Democrat author Bob Woodward ("one of America's most respected and reputable reporters") on pro-Democrat CBS's pro-Democrat "60 Minutes," Kerry claimed that President Bush and Saudi Prince Bandar had a "secret White House deal" on manipulating gasoline prices "tied to the election."

"Unlike George Bush and his friends at the big oil companies, I'm going to work for a real energy policy for this country that decreases America's dependence on foreign oil and helps lower the costs to American families," the Massachusetts Democrat insisted.

What he failed to mention is that he has consistently opposed jobs-producing oil exploration in Alaska to reduce dependency on foreign oil and had once proposed increasing the bloated federal gasoline tax by an additional 50 cents a gallon.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, trying to give his former rival for the presidential nomination a boost, openly admitted that Kerry wouldn't let "big oil" drill in Alaska. The crowd of hard-core activists, nearly all of whom had driven there, many in gas-guzzling SUVs and luxury cars, applauded on cue.

Nightstalker
04-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I like your source better than the CNN (biased) garbage. They always report in such a disgustingly slanted way and it is pathetic.

Qtec
04-20-2004, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Simple political spin by John Kerry - nothing more.
Heres the same story from a more credible news source.
<hr /></blockquote>
HaHaHaHaHa.

[ QUOTE ]
What he failed to mention is that he has consistently opposed jobs-producing <font color="blue"> [so anything that produces jobs is ok]</font color> oil exploration in Alaska <font color="blue"> its in a national park </font color> to reduce dependency on foreign oil <font color="blue"> Now this is funny. If the drilling went ahead it would account for ONLY 3%of the totall U.S requirement. </font color> and had once proposed increasing the bloated federal gasoline tax by an additional 50 cents a gallon. <font color="blue"> Gas in the USA is cheap. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Dont cut and paste. Check your facts.

Q

highsea
04-20-2004, 05:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> ...oil exploration in Alaska <font color="blue"> its in a national park </font color>

<font color="red"> Q, have you ever seen this "National Park?" I'm an Alaska boy, so I have. Do you realize that virtually every Alaska resident is begging for this drilling? We are talking about 10,000's of square miles of flat nothing here!

Don't be suckered by that dorky Greenpeace Ad. There are no trees there. The Caribou are nonexistant, because there is nothing to eat. Get a grip.

The footprint of a modern drilling rig is nothing in comparison. NOTHING! Ask the residents of Alaska if they want ANWR opened up before you spout an opinion. Don't tell us what's good for us just because you don't understand the reality of the situation. We are not talking about your backyard.

I'm really sick of our so-called environmentalists having this ridiculous opinion on ANWR. None of them even bothered to come up and look at this "Park", they just imagine some pristine wilderness that must be preserved. They can't even afford to rent an airplane to fly over it! It's too Fu*kin big. They would run out of gas before they saw the first 1/2 of 1%. So just shut up about ANWR until you know what you are talking about. </font color>

to reduce dependency on foreign oil <font color="blue"> Now this is funny. If the drilling went ahead it would account for ONLY 3%of the totall U.S requirement.

<font color="red"> Those numbers may or may not reflect reality. By holding ANWR for later, we are hedging our bet. You shouldn't try to argue both sides of the problem. You have spent a lot of effort griping about the US's involvement in the ME, so you should logically be arguing for the use of domestic reserves, and the reduction of US dependency on ME oil. Again, why do you care about ANWR? Why? Please don't try to tell me that you have some lofty altruistic purpose in mind.</font color>

</font color> and had once proposed increasing the bloated federal gasoline tax by an additional 50 cents a gallon. <font color="blue"> Gas in the USA is cheap. </font color> <font color="red"> Well, hell, Q, you're right. I think we should all vote for JK so we can pay more for gas and reduce Europe's envy of the US. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Dont cut and paste. Check your facts. <font color="red">

Don't cut and run. Check your own facts.</font color>

Q <hr /></blockquote>

-CM /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 05:44 AM
"Gas in the USA is cheap." - Q

Cheap huh? Are you looking at 10 year old figures again Q? Gas prices right now in the USA are anything but cheap.

Qtec
04-20-2004, 06:19 AM
read this first.

http://arcticcircle.uconn.edu/ANWR/arcticconnections.htm

I will be back.

Q

highsea
04-20-2004, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> "Gas in the USA is cheap." - Q

Cheap huh? Are you looking at 10 year old figures again Q? Gas prices right now in the USA are anything but cheap. <hr /></blockquote>

It is cheap, Nightstalker, compared to most of the rest of the world. Gasoline in the US is cheaper than almost anywhere else in the world, and has been for 5 decades.

The US made a deal with the Saudi's after the end of WW2. The deal was US defense of the Saud royal family, (therefore a stable Saudi Arabia,) in exchange for a regular and cheap supply of Arab oil. Our defense dollars have subsidised our our oil prices for about 50 years now. They could not maintain their power if we did not provide the tanks, airstrips and F15's. The Saud royal family enjoys a virtual dictatorship over the Arab world in exchange for our cheap gas.

War is nothing more than politics gone wrong, and politics is mostly about energy and turf. Occasionally is it personal, as in the case of Iraq, but really, that's pretty rare.

Of course, there is always a price to be paid, and we are paying it today, in spades.

But remember this simple fact. You pay more for bottled water than you pay for gasoline.

End of diatribe...for now.

-CM

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2004, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> read this first.

I will be back.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure that report is unbiased LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Since the Prudhoe Bay oil discovery in 1968, the oil industry has dramatically transformed a vast arctic wilderness. Prudhoe Bay and 18 other producing oil fields sprawl over more than 1,000 square miles of America's Arctic-- an area the size of Rhode Island. Today the North Slope oil fields include 3,893 exploratory and producing wells, 170 production and exploratory drill pads, 500 miles of roads, 1,100 miles of trunk and feeder pipelines, 2 refineries, many airports, many camps with living quarters for hundreds of workers, 5 docks and gravel causeways, and a total of 25 production plants, gas processing facilities, seawater treatment plants, and power plants. <hr /></blockquote>

All those jobs, all that money. God Bless America. Just like driving across the ship channel in Houston. What a beautiful sight /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And don't worry about the stupid caribou, they'll be just fine.

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> read this first.

I will be back.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I will not read anything from that fukked up source. When you're ready to quote from a credible source come talk to me.

SPetty
04-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Hi Nightstalker,

No need for the bad language. What is it about the University of Connecticut that makes them not a credible source?

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Hmmm, let's see.....the ANWR.....yeah. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. Forgive my foul language, I have tourrett's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
04-20-2004, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> read this first.

I will be back.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure that report is unbiased LOL

[ QUOTE ]
snip... an area the size of Rhode Island. <hr /></blockquote>

All those jobs, all that money. God Bless America. Just like driving across the ship channel in Houston. What a beautiful sight /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And don't worry about the stupid caribou, they'll be just fine. <hr /></blockquote>

Bahahaha! An area the size of Rhode Island!! Dam, we are ruining the whole state!

Q, Do you know how big Alaska is? Do you know how big Rhode Island is? LOL.

I read this "paper", for lack of a better word, and it is pure BS. Sorry, dude, the author doesn't have a clue. Miss Pamela Miller is some undergrad at the U of Conn who has never been to Alaska and never will. I hope she got an "A".

-CM

highsea
04-20-2004, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> White House, Saudis: No election deal on oil
Kerry rips report of election-related deal.

&lt;snip&gt;

The Bush administration did say it has received assurances from Saudi Arabia that oil prices will stay in the range of $22 to $28 per barrel, but said the recent discussions have nothing to do with presidential politics.
<hr /></blockquote>

Considering that todays crude price is $37 bucks a barrel, and OPEC has long agreed to maintain the $22-$28 price, I am glad that GW saw fit to have a little talk with the Saudis.

JK's little play will backfire. All he managed to do was to bring it to our attention that GWB isn't afraid to lean on OPEC right now.

-CM

eg8r
04-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Q, I think you have lost your mind. Are you going to blame Bush for everything that happens around the world? Why not put a pic of the Saudi guy and ask if he is guilty.

This is pretty interesting...You have yet to talk about the other countries who support Kerry (these are the countries that support terror and appeasing terror. One great example would be North Korea. Why didn't you post about that?) and have publicly said so, however when an oil country gives their support to Bush you post it.

I am happy Saudi Arabia is saying this, afterall, am I not a benefactor 2 fold? I get cheaper gas, and my taxes stay low. Had this Saudi official decided to screw the US and raise the price of oil in support of overthrowing Bush, I and the rest of the US would suffer 2 fold. First we would be paying higher prices for the gas, and Kerry would be trying to institute his $.50 tax hike on the gas.

Furthermore, Kerry is weak on fighting terror, and Saudi Arabia would rather have someone in office that would come to their aid (similar to Kuwait) if another country tried to come in and take over.

eg8r

cheesemouse
04-20-2004, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Hmmm, let's see.....the ANWR.....yeah. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. Forgive my foul language, I have tourrett's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

...I see you never let facts get in the way of your stupidity...must be nice... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SPetty
04-20-2004, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Hmmm, let's see.....the ANWR.....yeah. <hr /></blockquote>Okay, well, I still don't get it. My problem.

Is http://www.anwr.org a more credible site?

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Whatever you say cheesedick.

highsea
04-20-2004, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Hmmm, let's see.....the ANWR.....yeah. <hr /></blockquote>Okay, well, I still don't get it. My problem.

Is http://www.anwr.org a more credible site? <hr /></blockquote>

Bravo, spetty.

Certainly no need for foul language here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was going to say something about that myself. Nothing wrong with the U of Conn. per se, I think they know about as much about Alaska as the U of A. knows about Connecticut.

Your ANWR link is much more informative IMHO.

-CM

highsea
04-20-2004, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Whatever you say cheesedick. <hr /></blockquote>

I think someone needs a nap.

-CM

cheesemouse
04-20-2004, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Whatever you say cheesedick. <hr /></blockquote>

In that case please refer to me as SIR from now on...

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Look people, I came into this topic and replied to it as anyone else would and I was immediately attacked. I responded accordingly and I guess if you don't like it then maybe some of you should re-evaluate your lives and stop going around jumping people for no apparent reason. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2004, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> cheese dick.?????? <hr /></blockquote>

At the Ohio State Fair they carve a cow out of butter but this is a new one on me. Perhaps at the Wisconsin State Fair????

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2004, 08:42 AM
http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd0087/cheese-doodles-wide-60.4.jpg

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 08:44 AM
There ya go Wally, just like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
04-20-2004, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Look people, I came into this topic and replied to it as anyone else would and I was immediately attacked. I responded accordingly and I guess if you don't like it then maybe some of you should re-evaluate your lives and stop going around jumping people for no apparent reason. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hell, just the fact that in your profile you say your a banker is enough for me to attack you.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Hmmm, let's see.....the ANWR.....yeah. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. Forgive my foul language, I have tourrett's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

...I see you never let facts get in the way of your stupidity...must be nice... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Saying that right there is why you drew my ire. We can still be friends though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve - Detroit
04-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Just to add a little more on this "deal", here's something from Bloomberg. There is an interesting quote from Bandar in it.

Saudis `Unlikely' to Promise U.S. Lower Oil Price (Update1)
April 20 (Bloomberg) -- Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter, was unlikely to promise the U.S. it would lower oil prices before November's election, because it couldn't keep that promise, a Saudi official said.

It's ``unlikely that the kingdom would make any such promises, as we are not in a position to do so,'' Abdulrahman Abdulkareem, a deputy oil minister of Saudi Arabia, said in an interview during a conference in Dubai. ``We share the U.S. desire for a stable oil price between $22 to $28 a barrel.''

The U.S., the world's largest oil consumer, has publicly complained about the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries' current production ceiling and its effect on prices, now close to their highest level in more than 10 years. OPEC agreed last month to cut its quota for production.

Crude oil for May delivery fell 5 cents to $37.37 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange at 10:05 a.m. London time. The contract, which expires today, fell 0.9 percent to $37.42 yesterday.

The Saudi ambassador to the U.S., Prince Bandar bin Sultan, promised U.S. President George W. Bush the Saudis would keep prices low before the American elections on Nov. 2, Bob Woodward wrote in a new book about the war in Iraq, ``Plan of Attack.''

Bandar

Bandar, interviewed yesterday on Cable News Network, said the Woodward account was accurate, but the Saudi goal of keeping prices stable at $22 to $28 a barrel wasn't unusual.

``I had the same conversation with President Clinton in the year 2000,'' Bandar said.

In his interview today, Abdulkareem reiterated that position. Saudi Arabia is seeking ``a stable oil price of around $25 a barrel,'' he said. ``A stable price is good for the world and it's good for Saudi Arabia.''

Saudi Arabia agreed last month with the other members of OPEC to lower the group's quotas for oil production. The group's members cited the threat of falling prices in the second quarter.

Today, Abdulkareem said Saudi Arabia ``remains worried about an excess of supply in the second quarter.''

Oil prices have risen 15 percent this year to more than $37 a barrel in the U.S., according to Bloomberg data. That has helped send U.S. gasoline prices to a record average of $1.81 for a gallon regular as of last week, according to the U.S. Energy Department.

``The current high price is due to many reasons, but not due to a shortage of supply,'' Abdulkareem said. Prices are high ``because of a shortage of refining capacity in the United States, growing demand in China and the uncertainty of the situation in Iraq.''

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 09:07 AM
``I had the same conversation with President Clinton in the year 2000,'' Bandar said.

Yep, that one just jumps out at me. But still it is all a Bush scheme, yeah. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

highsea
04-20-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Look people, I came into this topic and replied to it as anyone else would and I was immediately attacked. I responded accordingly and I guess if you don't like it then maybe some of you should re-evaluate your lives and stop going around jumping people for no apparent reason. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Nightstalker, I wasn't jumping you. I was simply pointing out that we pay less for Gas in the US than most other countries. I think it's ironic that water is more expensive than gasoline.

Your response to Q's source was what I thought was kinda rude.

peace, man /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-CM

Nightstalker
04-20-2004, 09:11 AM
I wasn't talking about you, highsea. Anwyay, peace, flower power, make love not war and all that stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SPetty
04-20-2004, 06:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> At the Ohio State Fair they carve a cow out of butter but this is a new one on me. Perhaps at the Wisconsin State Fair???? <hr /></blockquote>BWAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!