PDA

View Full Version : wraps- what's the difference

justbrake
04-20-2004, 12:28 AM
what's the difference in a cortland and a Linen wrap!

Jimmy B
04-20-2004, 01:43 AM
Cortland is a linen wrap, it's a name brand used on older cues white with green spec, I believe it's a bit thicker and rougher, not as smooth as some of the new stuff. It's not made anymore but there is plenty around and cue makers charge for the lack of supply.

JB

justbrake
04-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info

Frank_Glenn
04-20-2004, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> what's the difference in a cortland and a Linen wrap! <hr /></blockquote>
A little history. Years ago Brunswick made fishing line. Then Monofiliment was invented and they wondered what to do with all this braided nylon line. Someone came up with the idea to put it on pool cues and the wrap was born. The nylon (still used on some "cheap" cues) will cut your hand and does not absorb sweat. To this end, linen was eventually substituted (after several years). Years ago, the linen was not pressed quite like it is today and was not so smooth. Now it is starched and pressed to make it very smooth. The starch may inhibit some of the absorption qualities, but seems to be what the players want, today. Cortland is a "brand" of fishing line, so I would imagine a Cortland wrap would be nylon, but I'm just guessing. It could have been nylon originally and now the term just means a wrapped cue. Anyway, that is where "wrapped" cues came from.

Fred Agnir
04-20-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>
so I would imagine a Cortland wrap would be nylon, but I'm just guessing. <hr /></blockquote>"Cortland" was the brand of Irish Linen used by the earlier cue makers.

Fred

Frank_Glenn
04-20-2004, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>
so I would imagine a Cortland wrap would be nylon, but I'm just guessing. <hr /></blockquote>"Cortland" was the brand of Irish Linen used by the earlier cue makers.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
OK, I just remember it as braided nylon fishing line, but I was too young at the time to have a custom pool cue.
Frank

Paul_Mon
04-21-2004, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Most likely it was silk.

Check this link out:

http://www.cortlandline.com/history.php

Paul Mon~~~~pays SUNY Cortland $12,000 each year.