PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2 Classic Billiards

Hopster
04-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Starting next monday on espn2 they are showing the old matches with Wimpy and Crane and Joe Balsis and Jimmy Moore, the ones from 1982 i beleive in Atlantic City. They are showing 4 matches the first day and maybe more the rest of the week. I have digital cable and was surfing and caught it.
The reason why i mention this is because a few people have asked about these matches in the past and they are the matches that Burt Kinnister sells so here is your chance to get them. Hopefully they will show the Willie and Fats match ups the rest of the week.
Hope this helped.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2004, 06:31 AM
Where have you been hiding? Did your computer blow up or something? I was thinking about you when I saw the pool table in the Shadow Bar at Caesar's back in August.

here's the matches of which you speak:

Legends of the Fall- Hall of Fame Billiards Players
April 26
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. UJ Puckett)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Irving Crane)

April 27
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Minnesota Fats)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Willie Mosconi)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Luther Lassiter)

April 28
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Babe Cranfield)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Babe Cranfield v. UJ Puckett)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Babe Cranfield)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Minnesota Fats)

April 29
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis v. Irving Crane)
5PM 2001 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Stefano Pelinga)
6PM 2003 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Segal)

Shining Stars Part II: The Duchess of Doom v. The Black Widow Round 2
April 30
11AM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Ewa Laurance v. Allison Fisher)
12PM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Vivian Villereal v. Jeanette Lee)
4PM 1997 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Allison Fisher v. Jeanette Lee)
5PM 2002 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)
6PM 2003 Women’s Tournament of Champions Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)

Chris in NC
04-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Seeing some of the old greats sounds awesome, even if they are well past their primes when these matches were taped. I look forward to watching some of these matches.

In response to all the recently televised old WPBA matches from up to 10 or more years ago that have been airing on ESPN of late, I have some mixed feelings on this issue. Yes, the exposure for our game is no doubt great, as yesterday on ESPN2 there seemed to be 3 or 4 hours of matches - most involving Loree Jon. The problem is the large majority of the viewers (other than those of us that follow the tours) may actually think that these matches are live or at least recently taped. I've failed to see any mention of the dates across the screen or by the broadcasters.

In my opinion it's a bit misleading on the part of ESPN to show these matches without clearly informing the viewers that these are old matches. Also of importance, I have to wonder whether or not the WPBA gets any $$ royalties from the airing of these old matches? I doubt it.

What incentive will ESPN have of continuing to support the tour by continuing to broadcast the current tour matches, if the ratings for these old matches comes close to matching those ratings of the most recently taped matches? Opinions from others?

I think it would be more honest on the part of ESPN for the date of all televised matches (old ones as well as the most recent ones) to be clearly shown on the screen a number of times during the match, so that the viewing public is clear on this as to when the tournament actually took place.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2004, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>
...I think it would be more honest on the part of ESPN for the date of all televised matches (old ones as well as the most recent ones) to be clearly shown on the screen a number of times during the match, so that the viewing public is clear on this as to when the tournament actually took place. <hr /></blockquote>

The WPBA's production people could do that but maybe the WPBA doesn't want folks to know they're watching a match that's a year old.

Re: the classic matches, I'm not sure but I think ESPN2 is focusing on classic events this week. They showed Ali-Fazier Thrilla in Manila last night. Maybe they assumed viewers would know that the pool was old stuff. I'm sure they didn't want to spend money to add graphics when they can just stick the tape in and play it.

Chris, I watched LJ vs. Jeanette last night. Did you notice the quality of play was not quite as good as it is currently, since Ally's arrival? From what I saw anyway.

SPetty
04-21-2004, 09:34 AM
I've finally got the VCR set up with the DISH and recorded my first matches yesterday! As I was setting up the DISH to record today's matches, I noticed that High School Basketball is what is being shown in the afternoon slots instead of pool. WooHoo! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Candyman
04-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I have Dish Network and they have an on-screen display that gives dates on all matches. It probably is also available in the TV Guide.
By the way, I was watching a WPBA Match a couple of weeks ago featuring Allison and #%&amp;??. At the end of the match Allisons parents were recognized and so was Chris in NC(Boone). Imagine that! Our on Chris of CCB. It was good to finally put a face on you big guy. Regards, Lock in NC /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
04-21-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be more honest on the part of ESPN for the date of all televised matches <hr /></blockquote> Are you implying that ESPN is being dishonest.

I just don't understand people sometimes...We hear complaining about not seeing enough pool on TV, and now that there is some good exposure, we hear complaining that the year of the event is not listed. Do you really think the day to day ESPN viewer really gives a hoot when that match was played?

There is nothing dishonest going on, just watch, enjoy, and quit complaining. Be happy there is something being played on TV without having to worry if the correct timeline is posted.

Since you are a bit worried about the date being shown, my PVR/Digital Cable box has let me know the year of the events, so I personally do not feel ESPN has been dishonest with me.

eg8r

Scott Lee
04-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Chris...I agree with you. Most of us don't have digital cable, and therefore can't tell when the matches are from.

BTW...Drayton was on the table next to Spike Cass at Valley Forge (I wish I would have thought to have Rich R get a picture of the two of them together...David &amp; Goliath! LOL). HOLY COW...boy has he grown since the last time I saw him at VF, 3 years ago. I think he'll be as tall as you are before he's in college! LOL How did he fare this year in the VF tournament?

Scott Lee

Barbara
04-21-2004, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> HOLY COW...boy has he grown since the last time I saw him at VF, 3 years ago. I think he'll be as tall as you are before he's in college! LOL How did he fare this year in the VF tournament?

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Your not kidding, Scott! When Drayton reported his first match win to the tourny desk he said hello to me (how nice!) and I just stood there not recognizing him until I saw the name! I think he grew over a foot in a year!

Barbara

<font color="blue">Luck can't last a lifetime unless you die young.</font color>

Hopster
04-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Where have you been hiding? Did your computer blow up or something? I was thinking about you when I saw the pool table in the Shadow Bar at Caesar's back in August. &lt;--Wally

Hey Pal, how you been doing ??
Reason i havent been around much is i hurt my back a few months ago and havent been playing much. Just when my game got real good, but at least i figured out what my major faults are and have corrected them for the most part, so now i play once a week if that much.
Im sorry i didnt see you back then. The guy who beat Jeanette is a local who i met once at a tourney he was running out here.
Anyway, thanks for posting the schedule of events, im going to tape all of them so if you miss any and need a copy, let me know.
Stay well.