PDA

View Full Version : Cue hangers from straigthening cues?

dooziexx
04-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Saw this on ebay. Wonder if it works.... Anyone tried it before? Comments from cuemakers?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3673506551&category=12 92&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

SPetty
04-21-2004, 10:02 AM
I have "heard" that some folks have had success in straightening shafts by hanging them from the tip/ferrule and putting a weight on the other end, so there does seem to be some possibility that this device will work. But if it does, it's using only the weight of the shaft. I would think that adding a weight to the end of the shaft would pull the shaft out of these rubber holders, sending them crashing to the floor and not helping with the warp at all.

mworkman
04-21-2004, 11:26 AM
It's not just the weight of the shaft. You put your cue together first so you also have the weight of the butt. I have one, but was not too impressed with it. It may have helped a little.

SpiderMan
04-21-2004, 12:05 PM
I think there may be an advantage in using this to PREVENT warping a good shaft. Much better to have it hanging like this than leaning against a wall. Also, the hanging may promote more even transfer of humidity into and out of the wood.

Once there is a small warp in the shaft, I doubt hanging would help, at least not because of the minimal force it would exert. The restoring force would be only the tangent of the warp angle times the hanging weight. If the warp angle is small, the tangent (and the restoring force) would be almost zero. Maybe if it were warped because of uneven moisture content, this might help.

SpiderMan

rocky
04-21-2004, 12:42 PM
actually they do work, i dont know about those particular ones, but the ones that mueller sells do work. They will only take out about a mm of lift though. I know someone who uses them alot.

SPetty
04-21-2004, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> actually they do work<hr /></blockquote>Think it'll work on my warped Predator shaft?

SpiderMan
04-21-2004, 12:48 PM
I doubt it. Generally, you have to bend something "the other direction past straight" from a warp to get it all out.

SpiderMan

Popcorn
04-21-2004, 03:56 PM
In general, no it will not work. Wood warps due to unequal shrinkage or expansion when moisture is gained and lost. At best, it may stress some of the wood fibers resulting in a slightly straighter shaft but not much and you would probably have to hang another 20 LB's on it to get any result. I would doubt it would last once you let the wood relax. Just off the top of my head though, I could see taking a crooked shaft and hanging a weight on it and increasing the humidity in a chamber to raise the MC of the wood, then reversing the procedure. I never tried it but I can see the shaft ending up straighter then it was before maybe even perfect.