PDA

View Full Version : A young pool player named Lizzie ???

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2004, 10:08 AM
I was listening to Paul Harvey the other day and he mentioned a young girl who was "setting the billiards world on it's ear". I think the name was Lizzie Lovely or something. Has anybody heard that name or is he just senile? Or both?

PQQLK9
04-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Posted on Sun, Apr. 18, 2004

Just 12, girl embarrasses older players

Associated Press

DAYTON, Ohio - Not much taller than her pool cue, 12-year-old Lizzy Lovely makes grown men feel nervous.

Beating competitors twice her age is common for the pint-sized pool prodigy who stays up late on school nights to play in weekly billiards tournaments around the area.

On a recent Monday, she made an impression on her opponent, 20-year-old Ricky Mosley, during their match in a tournament.

"Cockiness. It's in her eyes," he said. "She doesn't say a thing, but the eyes tell you plenty."

Mosley, who admitted to being nervous about the prospects of losing to the sixth-grader, squeaked by with a victory.

Last June, she was the only Ohio girl in the Valley National Eight-ball Association's Junior International Classic in Mankato, Minn. She finished seventh and her Dayton team was fifth of 64 entries.

No one needs to tell Lizzy that she's good - she already knows.

"Yeah, sometimes I guess I might be a little cocky," she said.

Her father, Richard Lovely, supports her hobby, driving her to weeknight tournaments. He has kept close watch to make sure it doesn't disrupt her studies.

"Sometimes, we don't get home until 2 in the morning, but if she wants to keep doing this, she has to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when I wake her for school in the morning," he explained. "She also has to be attentive in class and get good grades. I've talked to her guidance counselor and they say she participates and she's getting good report cards."

Outside of billiards, Lizzy's interests are typical of other girls her age. She likes going to the mall, Saturday dances at the Washington Township Recreation Center and sleep-overs with her girlfriends. Her bedroom is decorated with posters of dogs, cats and fashion models.

Since showing a knack for pool on her home table and joining a youth league, she's immersed herself in the sport with the support of her father.

"She's kind of living my dream," he said.

Information from: Dayton Daily News

Wally_in_Cincy
04-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks Nick. I tried to google that yesterday and came up dry.

I would not let my 12-year-old stay up til 2 am playing pool on a school night.

Barbara
04-21-2004, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Thanks Nick. I tried to google that yesterday and came up dry.

I would not let my 12-year-old stay up til 2 am playing pool on a school night.

<hr /></blockquote>

Good grief!! How long do you think that's going to last?

Barbara

<font color="blue">Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you could survive the odds beating you.</font color>

9 Ball Girl
04-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if that's the same girl that beat Charlie W. on his Predator exhibition table at Valley Forge. The girl looked very young--even underneath all the makeup and she was there with her Dad but like Barbara says, I would not let my daughter, if I had one, stay up 'til 2AM on school nights. Maybe by the time she's 16.../ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRpool
04-22-2004, 09:49 AM
I wish her luck. If she sticks with it she has a chance to be great.

It is tough at that age. I was playing then but I wasn't allowed to play in weekly tournaments because of school. They better be careful that pool doesn't eventually take over when she gets to high school.

Lanny
04-23-2004, 04:00 PM
There's a 9 or 10 year old boy around Campbellsville,Ky. thats gaining quite a reputation.WHAS radio out of Louisville was talking about him and the girl from Ohio and the possibility of getting them together for a shoot-out.About 2 yrs. ago,the kid ran the table against a guy that I know.

Lanny

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2004, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lanny:</font><hr> There's a 9 or 10 year old boy around Campbellsville,Ky. thats gaining quite a reputation.WHAS radio out of Louisville was talking about him and the girl from Ohio and the possibility of getting them together for a shoot-out.About 2 yrs. ago,the kid ran the table against a guy that I know.

Lanny <hr /></blockquote>

You are probably thinking of Landon Shuffet. He and his dad Stan Shuffet live in Greensburg. He was on Ripley's once doing trick shots. He played in the Derby 9-ball division this year. I saw him there. His case is almost as big as he is /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lizlovely12345
07-06-2004, 12:16 PM
hey, this is lizzy lovely. i have had about 3 articles on me from dayton, OH. 2 of them werent that big but that one was on the front page of the dayton daily news. i just got 1st at the international junior vnea championships. a writer named mickey zezzo or something like that is doing another article on me and the winner from my hometown of his division. I had jay leno call about me but hasnt called back for about a month. but now that i won that title david letterman called and theyre making a time slot and reservations to go to NYC. i go to tournaments monday and thursday and its not really 2 every morning its normally around 12: 30 to one. its only been 2 a couple times out of around 150 tournaments. my dad was exaggerating a little bit. plus i have straight A's and have only had one b the whole year. in a couple weeks on google i should be in there for winning that tournament in sioux city. next year im goin again but its in rochester, minnesota. well thanks for your time. catch up later

Wally_in_Cincy
07-06-2004, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lizlovely12345:</font><hr> ....i have straight A's and have only had one b the whole year.......<hr /></blockquote>

Glad to hear that. Keep up the good work.

Are you going to try to qualify for the BCA Junior Nationals?

Where do you play? Airway?