PDA

View Full Version : Old Matches, (WPBA & Gordons) Better Production?

Gayle in MD
04-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi Everyone,
Have been trying to video all these great old matches this week. What a blast, to be able to see matches which I had never seen before, from the days before I became involved/addicted to pool.

I was wondering if any of you might know the answer to my question/observation, does it seem to you that the filming, ie. camera angles, music, production in general is superior to the more recent matches, say in the last six or seven years? In particular I noticed more overhead shots, great for observing cue placement and english, and better production generally speaking. Anyone know if WPBA used a different production company in those days?

I noticed really great camera work particularly on those matches in the Gordon's events.

Just curious as to what your opinions might be particularly as regards camera angles etc. LOVE THOSE OVERHEAD SHOTS !!!

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ladybilliards
04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Yes. I think it's all better (except the announcer, I think he distracts the players). Other than that, I enjoy the older matches better. The crowd wasn't prompted to clap, they clap for GOOD safeties, GREAT shots, not EVERY SINGLE shot! I sure hope they show Lassister and the other old ones that were mentioned in January.
lb

9 Ball Girl
04-21-2004, 03:32 PM
I find it funny when the shooter pockets the 8 ball and right before she gets down on the 9 ball, the announcer yells out something like he did for Loree, "This is for $20,000!" That would've rattled the bejesus out of me! And then there was the one when Vivian got down on her 9 ball and he yelled out, "Vivian's on the board!". I'm like, can you wait til she pockets the ball first to say that? LOL

PQQLK9
04-21-2004, 03:39 PM
That was a little over the top. What's up with LJJ these days? Is she retired or what?

Gayle in MD
04-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Agree agree! So silly when they clap for every shot. I didn't notice any of that in VF, but maybe that was because it wasn't televised, atleast I didn't think it was.

Will those older ones you mention be on Comcast Cable, espn?

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Wow Wemdy, I always thought the announcers were in some kind of booth, and couldn't be heard. Interesting, the players can hear them?

Personally, (I'll probably get clobbered on here for this) although I am sure Mitch is a nice person, and I just love Ewa, I really wish they would have ONLY pool pros announcing the matches. Also, I sure wish they would show them in order so that you could record them in order!
AND...More overhead shots!!!
Gayle in Md.

larrynj1
04-21-2004, 07:04 PM
there is some really bad pool being played there. i guess allison hadn't yet raised the bar. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2004, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Wow Wemdy, I always thought the announcers were in some kind of booth, and couldn't be heard. Interesting, the players can hear them? <hr /></blockquote>

It's not the announcers in the booth they are talking about. On those old matches there is an announcer on a P.A. system in the arena. They don't do that now thank goodness. Steve Tipton will make announcements between games but that's it.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2004, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> That was a little over the top. What's up with LJJ these days? Is she retired or what? <hr /></blockquote>

She's still playing. She's ranked 9th. She's raising 3 kids /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2004, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
Will those older ones you mention be on Comcast Cable, espn?

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">ESPN2 </font color>

Legends of the Fall- Hall of Fame Billiards Players
April 26
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. UJ Puckett)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Irving Crane)

April 27
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Minnesota Fats)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Willie Mosconi)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Luther Lassiter)

April 28
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Babe Cranfield)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Babe Cranfield v. UJ Puckett)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Babe Cranfield)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Minnesota Fats)

April 29
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis v. Irving Crane)
5PM 2001 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Stefano Pelinga)
6PM 2003 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Segal)

Shining Stars Part II: The Duchess of Doom v. The Black Widow Round 2
April 30
11AM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Ewa Laurance v. Allison Fisher)
12PM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Vivian Villereal v. Jeanette Lee)
4PM 1997 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Allison Fisher v. Jeanette Lee)
5PM 2002 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)
6PM 2003 Women’s Tournament of Champions Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)

Eric.
04-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Hey Gayle, hope all is well.

I agree, it's a bit corny when there is applause for every stinkin shot. It almost implies that every shot they make is an amazing feat. Don't get me wrong, some shots deserve the claps, but some shots...well let's just say that if you're NOT making those shots, you shouldnt be on tour /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric &gt;not on tour

Gayle in MD
04-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi there friend, thanks. Yeah, it's really funny when they clap like that, and then the cue ball finds a bad leave and they are still clapping, too funny!
Gayle in MD

SRpool
04-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Gayle, I have to agree with you. The introductions to the show and for the match were great. The overhead shots were great as well. The only bad part was that announcer.

Maybe you should post this on the WPBA message board. They might listen and try something new (technically old)

Sarah