PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Help?

crawdaddio
04-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey guys,
I don't post much over here.....yes i'm a bit of a lurker, I'll admit it. Anyways, I posted this over at AZ and I was hoping for some intelligent input here as well.

Hello all,
I have recently (past couple of months) started and been running a weekly tournament. Format is:
Alternating weekly 8 and 9 ball
8 ball race to 2 DE APA
9 ball race to three DE texas express
10$ entry w/ 3$ of every ten into break pot
If ten or less players I draw 1 for break contest
If more than ten I draw 2 (2 attempts each)
Anyway, I have been getting a fair turnout of between ten and sixteen players every week (pretty good for this town IMO). I obviously want a larger turnout and we have the league players (APA) in town here, so how do I get 'em in here? A friend recommends changing it to race to one double elimination eight ball only. Any opinions on this? At this time the players that do come are, generally, the better players in town and I know they will have a problem with this format. So how do I keep them coming while attracting the lower leveled players? I know summer is nearly upon us, and I expect the turnout to drop a little, but I am hoping for the best. I would really hate to see this tourny, which has been doing pretty well, die out like so many others in this town. Any input is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks alot,
David~~first time tourny director

Tom_In_Cincy
04-21-2004, 07:04 PM
If I could recommend ONE thing, it is to be consistant.

Have a breakdown of the payoffs. Usually at least 25% of the field gets paid. A 16 player tourament will have a 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th place winners.

Alwasy start on time. IMO it is an insult to the players that have already signed up. To let inconsiderate-no concept of time-always late- players enter after the start time is NOT Acceptable.

Let the APA 8 ball players know what nite the 8 ball tournament will be held. Let them know the race and entry fee. That is all you need to do. They will come if they want to play, regardless of the format. There is nothing wrong with a race to TWO DE. Hand out flyers to the APA members to take with them to show to their team.

Make sure you announce the format, rules used, CELL phone policy (if any, we call it a loss of game if your cell goes off during a match, not my rule, the players voted on it and I just enforce it) Close hits, go to the shooter, unless someone is called to make a ruling. TD rulings are final.

Good luck.

Perk
04-22-2004, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> At this time the players that do come are, generally, the better players in town and I know they will have a problem with this format. So how do I keep them coming while attracting the lower leveled players
<hr /></blockquote>

This is just my opinion, but dont cater to the better players. They will be coming for greed purposes. If you feel you will get a higher turnout with a race to 1, have a race to 1. I imagine this format makes it easier to upset a champ or two, hence more lesser players?

Dont let the whiners (pool players whine?) have their way with you. One of the best weekly tourneys around here is a race to 1, and it draws champions and nonames. Its only a 7 dollar tourney with a calcutta, but with the calcutta you could win 500.00.

Good luck being the tourney director. Post everything up front, and dont bend on anything, and you will do great!

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Maybe you could get your local APA league operator to insert flyers in the team packages.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
Always start on time. <hr /></blockquote>

Ain't that the truth. That's one my biggest pet peeves.

mworkman
04-22-2004, 08:15 AM
What is this Break contest? Never heard of anyone having one of these.

crawdaddio
04-22-2004, 11:10 AM
3$ of every 10$ entry (in this tourny) goes into the break pot. Drawn (at random) players have 2 chances to break the eight or nine ball ball (depending on what we're playing). If successful that player takes the pot. If unsuccessful, the pot rolls over to next week. 1000$ cap on tha pot. So if no one makes it for several weeks or months the pot can get pretty big!
Thanks to all for your replies, I will take them into serious consideration. I got way more help here than at AZ, I guess it just goes to show you. (exactly what, I'm not sure!)
Regards,
David
P.S. I think I'm gonna give the Race to 1 8 ball DE a shot, who knows right?!

woody_968
04-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Try the race to one in 8 ball, you will get more lower level players taking a chance. For the 9-ball may I suggest making it loser breaks. I used to run a tourny like this and had all level of players playing. If a lower level player comes to play in the current format and one of the top players breaks and runs three racks to put him out he feels like he got a bad deal. But if you let him break when the other player wins the games he knows he had a chance at every table and can walk away feeling better about his evening.

As far as the break pots they are a great idea, but I would think that 3 dollars out of 10 is a bit much to put into the breakpot. In a 10 player tourny thats $30 that could have been paid back to the feild. Just trying to give ya some things to think about.

Good luck!!!