PDA

View Full Version : McDermott Joint

bott1637
04-21-2004, 04:08 PM
I bought a McDermott on Ebay to simply use as a break cue. I like the cue a lot, but the joint has always been a little strange and I, as well as my cue repair guy, think it might have been replaced at some point.

I just bought joint protectors on ebay for it and although they fit the threads perfectly, my pin is too long for the one protector. Can anyone tell me how long a standard pin is for a McDermott. I am talking about the length of the pin that inserts into shaft/joint protectors. I just want to see if the joint protectors are bad or if my cue isn't standard.

Also if anyone knows what exactly does the 3/8, 10 mean concerning a joint?

PQQLK9
04-21-2004, 04:28 PM
3/8 OD and 10 threads per inch.

bott1637
04-21-2004, 08:40 PM
So if the cue I have has 11 turns in the pin, and thus is just over one inch, is it longer than a standard joint?

I need to know if the joint protectors I have a just too short or if my pin isn't standard and I have no reason to complain.

Popcorn
04-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Measure the screw and see how deep the hole in the joint cap is. If the screw is longer, then you need a longer joint cap. Some McDermotts had longer screws most were around 1 1/8 inch long I have an older one that is 1 1/4 long. You could just email the seller and ask what length screw they are made to fit. Most are made a little longer so they fit more cues. I have seen some cues with 1 1/2 inch screws though that no standard caps would fit. How long is the screw in your cue?

N8ball
04-22-2004, 01:46 AM
I had a similar question about my joint in my Mcdermott...and found out that in the older Mcdermotts (before the 80's i think) the pin was longer. A guy that works up at hte poolhall has a 76 mcdermott and the pin is longer than mine. I had received a shaft from an older mcdermott and it was always so loose....and that was why.
So if the cue u have is old, that might be it?

Nate

highsea
04-22-2004, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bott1637:</font><hr> So if the cue I have has 11 turns in the pin, and thus is just over one inch, is it longer than a standard joint?

I need to know if the joint protectors I have a just too short or if my pin isn't standard and I have no reason to complain. <hr /></blockquote>

Just chuck up the JP, take a 5/16" drill, and take another 1/8" out of the bottom of the hole. It'll be fine after that. Nothing wrong with your cue

-CM