PDA

View Full Version : Help...

Grady
04-22-2004, 08:33 AM
I could sure use some help!!!
Iíve made every effort to work with prevailing companies that film and air pool in itís various forms.
I have had no success at all. If any pool lovers out there have any connections with, say, a cable company, no matter how obscure and small, that we might strike a deal with, to film what Iím doing now and in the near future, please let me know.
Iím willing to fly or drive anywhere to get this done. I also have somewhat of a budget towards these ends.
I regret to say that Iíve had to protect myself and my work lately ( trademarking and registering almost all of my upcoming things). I have some things in the can that should make pool as big as football. To put it another way we have a great sport for sale cheap. But I think itís time for this old pro to use other vehicles.
There are mega-bucks to be made, while making practically everybody happy. I freely admit that most of my problems in the area talked about here, are due to my life long distrust and dislike of most agents, show business types, etc. Underneath everything, Iím just a pool player who loves our sport.
Again, help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Grady

Popcorn
04-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Try contacting Danny DiLiberto, he knows Roger King who is the TV mogul, of the Oprah show, Wheel of fortune and so on. He a multi billionaire who also happens to plays pool. I don't know him well enough to pitch him something, but Danny may. If nothing else, maybe Roger could steer you to someone who may have an interest. You never know, that show American Chopper, (No way does Grady know what American Chopper is), was conceived through a chance meeting in a bar by Mikey.

Eric.
04-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey, didn't you leave us "nit-appleheads"(or something like that) for AZ billiards, never to be seen here again?

If it helps, I know(not rumor but know) that the Travel channel has been in the market for new entertainment. If you remember, they are the people that started showing the World Series of Poker and eventually sold the rights and programming to ESPN.

I'm not in the media business, so I can't help you directly. I think if you talk to someone, maybe an agent, they can make sure you have a professional presentation. Good luck knocking on doors.

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2004, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> ...If it helps, I know(not rumor but know) that the Travel channel has been in the market for new entertainment....<hr /></blockquote>

With the proliferation of channels I imagine there's a lot of people looking for new programming. Surely there's a place for a game as universally popular as pool. It's finding that niche that presents the problem.

Wally~~optimist /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
04-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Grady,
I saw on the news the other day that Bob Johnson, owner of the Charlotte Bobcats and founder of BET television is starting a local sports cable channel in the Charlotte market. This might be something he would be interested in. You might try to get up with him through his new web site http://www.c-set.tv/ and see if they might be interested.
Steve

Eric.
04-22-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> With the proliferation of channels I imagine there's a lot of people looking for new programming. Surely there's a place for a game as universally popular as pool. It's finding that niche that presents the problem.

Wally~~optimist /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well, I'm not in the media bus, so I can't say whats the new flavor but as far as the Travel Channel, my thinking is that they had success with Poker, which arguably, has the same appeal as Ring Game Pool, maybe this might be a good deal for both parties? As you know, these companies get pitched a gadzillion ideas, but if you present this in a similar format to Poker, they may bite.

Eric