PDA

View Full Version : How do you test a ball's speed?

04-29-2002, 07:31 PM
I recently posted a question asking how to clear up the mottling my balls sustained after a too hot bath, but received no answers, so I'll try a different tack. What test can I try that will measure a ball's speed? Obviously, the harder I strike them, the faster and father they'll travel, but that's too subjective. Anybody suggest something more scientific?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2002, 07:48 PM
I think the simplest test would be to take the balls down to the local pool hall and compare them with balls that haven't been MOTTLED..

I'm not sure why color would matter if the surface isn't damaged..

BTW
Main Entry: mottle
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1676
Inflected Form(s): mot.tled; mot.tling : to mark with spots or blotches of different color or shades of color as if stained

heater451
04-29-2002, 08:02 PM
Just a suggestion:

You can go to NorthernTool.com, and buy a cheap radar gun http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=734431&prmenbr=6970&cmemid= 042402NP368

Then, it's just a matter of a LOT of mathematics--contact your local physicist. Of course, "far" is quite subjective, when you consider that a ball may loop the table, unobstructed, or it might get stopped at any time, by another, intervening ball.

I would also think that a lot of assumptions would have to be made, regarding variables such as, cloth type (friction co-efficient), cushion density/"springy-ness" (efficiency of energy return from impact), etc., etc..

It would be helpful to narrow down exactly what you're looking for, besides "a ball's speed". Also, I assumed that you were talking only about a breaking situation, but as I reach the end of the post, I thought about how you might mean "a ball's speed", in relation to a single, cue-ball/object ball strike.
Exactly what are you looking for?

And, in regard to the "mottling" after a hot bath, your skin will heal in time. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Chris Cass
04-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Hi Davott,

I saw your post the first time and didn't answer because I've never seen motted balls. Come to think of it Nor, do I want to see motted balls.

What it seems to me is that part of the finish came off the balls. If there Aramith or Centennials(sp?), send them in for a refinish or maybe if your lucky they'll replace them for free. Don't blame you though. I hate looking at ob's that are funky. Kind of like those hard as rocks Elephant balls or those plastic clear jobs with the numbers inside. Too much for me.

Knew a guy once sent his $100. golf shoes that were trashed into the manufacturer. They replaced them for free. They were his old ones and had a new pair.

You could always find a hall with a ball cleaner and have them cleaned. This might do the trick. If not then there only like $75. for Aramith's. A good investment.IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~money's only good when your alive. Support your local pool player.

cheesemouse
04-29-2002, 09:14 PM
davott,
Take a piece of wood molding with a groove in it that a ball will easily roll in cut it to about 12 to 18 inches in length make a mark near one end of the wood. Now place that mark on the edge of the rail and hold the wood track in place with one hand and with the other let a ball start rolling down the track onto the table. From this set angle and distance all the balls should roll the same distance. I find that the speed of my table changes with the weather...If you have ever heard of or seen a stent meter(used to measure the speed of golf greens) it is the same principle. Hope that makes sence.

04-30-2002, 07:10 PM
Best reply of the lot. In other words, just find anything that will act as a chute, and aim it at a fixed point on an opposing cushion. Roll the suspect balls down the chute and compare their action against a brand new unused ball. The simplest answers are usually the most difficult ones to think of. Thanks.

cheesemouse
04-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Davott,
No problem, I have a simple mind. /ccboard_2/images/icons/smile.gif

rackmup
04-30-2002, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I recently posted a question asking how to clear up the mottling my balls sustained after a too hot bath, but received no answers<hr></blockquote>

I think I would see a medical professional or at the very least, apply some cortisone cream.

Regards,

Ken (always concerned about his own and feels funny talking about someone elses)

Chris Cass
04-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Aww Geez,

Can't I have another try? The mouse always gets the cheese.....