PDA

View Full Version : Slate sags?

ras314
04-22-2004, 04:45 PM
BCA equipment Specs calls for the table bed to be within 0.02" of level over the lengthwise 100" of a 9 ft table. I recently got a Starrett 8" machinest level and tried to check my table. In most areas near the rails the bed would indicate high by 0.003 or so (assuming the level is .003"/foot per div. as claimed). Near the middle of each piece of slate the indication is much closer to level. Next to impossable to determine on average how level the table is with this short a level. Very little "ball roll off" can be seen except a slight amount near the cushions at the pockets.

Slate is 1 1/8", table is new, installed about two months ago. Can cloth be stretched different amounts which would make it thinner where stretched the most?

Troy
04-22-2004, 10:33 PM
An excellent table mechanic I know uses a 12" Starrett Machinist's Level.
That may make a difference.

IMO, the table frame and the slate has settled slightly after installation.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> BCA equipment Specs calls for the table bed to be within 0.02" of level over the lengthwise 100" of a 9 ft table. I recently got a Starrett 8" machinest level and tried to check my table. In most areas near the rails the bed would indicate high by 0.003 or so (assuming the level is .003"/foot per div. as claimed). Near the middle of each piece of slate the indication is much closer to level. Next to impossable to determine on average how level the table is with this short a level. Very little "ball roll off" can be seen except a slight amount near the cushions at the pockets.

Slate is 1 1/8", table is new, installed about two months ago. Can cloth be stretched different amounts which would make it thinner where stretched the most? <hr /></blockquote>

ras314
04-23-2004, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> An excellent table mechanic I know uses a 12" Starrett Machinist's Level.

IMO, the table frame and the slate has settled slightly after installation. <hr /></blockquote>
No doubt a 12" level would be a bit easier to use. The guy that installed mine used several 12".

Far as I can tell table frame and slate have both "settled" slightly. There is now a very slight wobble as a ball quits rolling in some parts of the bed that was not present initially. Does not affect playability, guess nothing is really rigid.

Troy
04-23-2004, 05:14 PM
The table mechanic who installed the table should return to verify level and adjust as necessary. Was I you I'd give it another month or so to stabilize then have it checked.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> An excellent table mechanic I know uses a 12" Starrett Machinist's Level.

IMO, the table frame and the slate has settled slightly after installation. <hr /></blockquote>
No doubt a 12" level would be a bit easier to use. The guy that installed mine used several 12".

Far as I can tell table frame and slate have both "settled" slightly. There is now a very slight wobble as a ball quits rolling in some parts of the bed that was not present initially. Does not affect playability, guess nothing is really rigid. <hr /></blockquote>

ras314
04-23-2004, 06:04 PM
I think I can keep the table level and if the slate itself sags there doesn't seem to be much that can be done. If the slates may eventually need shimed level again I'm not willing to attempt that. Trouble is the installer is some 200 miles away so a routine leveling check does not seem reasonable.

I've heard that granite does sag but little about what slate does over time. Anyway, thanks for your input.