PDA

View Full Version : Germany provided Chem weapons to Saddam?

highsea
04-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Interesting, the Iranians seem to consider that Germany was the principle provider of Chem weapons to Iraq.

I hadn't heard this before.

http://www.irna.ir/?SAB=OK&LANG=EN&PART=_HOME&TYPE=HP&id=200404221620 113

-CM

rukiddingme
04-23-2004, 11:37 AM
FYI...The greatest supplier of weapons of all kinds to Saddam was the U S of A.
ruk

bigshooter
04-23-2004, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> FYI...The greatest supplier of weapons of all kinds to Saddam was the U S of A.
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

We're still supplying weapons to Iraq, everytime we shoot an Iraqi they get a free bullet in the head.

highsea
04-23-2004, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> FYI...The greatest supplier of weapons of all kinds to Saddam was the U S of A.
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

What do you base this statement on? Surely you realize that in Gulf War 1 it was Russian military hardware that the Iraqi Army was using.

The Iraqi Migs were not built by Boeing my friend, nor were the SAM sites, RPG's, AK47's, T-55's, etc...

-CM

bluewolf
04-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I think that the usa's participation was prior to gulf war 1, during the iran-iraq conflict. At that time, if my memory is correct, Iran was perceived as the greator enemie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

highsea
04-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Laura, I think you missed the point.

-CM

rukiddingme
04-23-2004, 10:37 PM
highsea, I beg to differ ...I think you have missed the point...in fact Laura is right on!
ruk

Nightstalker
04-23-2004, 10:58 PM
But again that is beside the point. Back to the point, prove how the US contributed to Saddam's weapons arsenal.

highsea
04-24-2004, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> highsea, I beg to differ ...I think you have missed the point...in fact Laura is right on!
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think Laura understood my post.

My question is for you RUK. It's very simple. Let's put aside the clever rejoinders.

I will refresh you..

I said...Interesting, the Iranians seem to consider that Germany was the principle provider of Chem weapons to Iraq. I referenced this with a URL from the IRNA. That is the Official Iranian News Agency, in case you are unaware of this.

Your response was this:

FYI...The greatest supplier of weapons of all kinds to Saddam was the U S of A.
ruk

I said... How so? Iraqis fight with Russian weapons, not US weapons. Give me something that supports your statement.

You said...?? BW is Right On!!!

Come again?

-CM

eg8r
04-24-2004, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Back to the point, prove how the US contributed to Saddam's weapons arsenal. <hr /></blockquote> While I totally believe RUK is missing highsea's point, it is no question the US did indeed supply Iraq with Chemical weapons. This was back in the 80's during the Iraq/Iran war. Iran was seen as the greater of the two evils so we sided with Iraq. When all was said and done, Saddam started using the weapons on his own people (I say this loosely because they are not the from the same group of people, but they were all Iraqis indeed). This is what angered Rumsfeld (If I remember correctly he was partly in charge of some of this, and Saddam went against his own word. What a surprise.) at the time.

There is no question, the US is guilty of this back in the 80's. There is also, no question that what we supplied had been used up by the time of the Gulf War. When we went in after the Gulf War, there were many many tons more of the stuff than what we had supplied, and it was of a different nature than what we had supplied (I am not a chemist so I don't plan on trying to explain the differences, however I am open to the fact that, that could have been a lie).

The weapons that highsea mentioned are surely not American, and it was also a fact that Russia was sending in weapons during the most recent war over there. Guns, night vision, etc. I think one of the main reasons Germany, Russia and France were supporting Iraq during this go around is because they were using Saddam to steal from the UN Oil-for-food program (I think that is what it is called). If these countries showed their loyalty to Saddam, and somehow the US did not remove Saddam from power, then they all figured to be able to keep their secrets a secret and continue stealing as they were.

eg8r

striker_3
04-24-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm disputing the fact that the US supplied Iraq with conventional weapons in the 80s, but where did you hear that we supplied them with chemical weapons?

Cueless Joey
04-24-2004, 11:56 AM
We did not.
We don't even make them.

striker_3
04-24-2004, 12:01 PM
The reason I ask is that before 1995, the US policy was that we would only use chemical weapons in retaliation. We didn't promote first use. After 95 we signed the CWC, saying that we would not use them at all. That's why we are destroying stockpiles.

eg8r
04-24-2004, 02:19 PM
You may be right about not supplying the actual chemical weapons but if I remember right, we did sell the technology and materials. All Iraq had to do was make them.

Besides the actual facts (which we will never know exactly) the US is not exactly innocent. We didn't really want either Iraq or Iran to win, but rather have them keep fighting long enough to ruin both countries. Given all this history with them, it would be absolutely idiotic to believe Saddam did not have the weapons or the capability to build them in a very short time. The proof is there somewhere, or it has been moved across borders.

eg8r

highsea
04-24-2004, 02:34 PM
eg8r, I think that is more accurate.

The US did supply some chemical agents to Iraq during the war with Iran. How much, I doubt we will ever know.

To my knowledge we never supplied any conventional weapons, and I was asking ruk to back up his statement that the US was the biggest supplier of weapons of all kinds to Iraq. I don't think this is true.

I was also pointing out that Iran seems to feel that Germany was the principle source of Iraq's chemical weapons.

I think that Iraq's nuclear technology came primarily from France, and their conventional weapons were Russian.

A hell of a lot of people are quick to blame the US for Iraq's chemical weapons. I don't think we were the only ones at that party.

-CM

eg8r
04-25-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A hell of a lot of people are quick to blame the US for Iraq's chemical weapons. I don't think we were the only ones at that party.
<hr /></blockquote> Nope, but it seems to be the easy way to blame the US. Ruk is not going to back up his statement because it is a kind of shoot-from-the-hip type of statement, however he might surprise us. Let's just wait and see if he even replies at all.

eg8r