PDA

View Full Version : Classic matches on ESPN2 this week

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2004, 10:37 AM
On the slim chance that someone forgot:

Legends of the Fall- Hall of Fame Billiards Players
April 26
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. UJ Puckett)
12PM Classic trick shots from Classic's Billiards Atlantic City <font color="blue">This is new. They don't say what year it's from </font color>

5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Irving Crane)

April 27
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Minnesota Fats)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Willie Mosconi)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Luther Lassiter)

April 28
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Babe Cranfield)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Babe Cranfield v. UJ Puckett)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Babe Cranfield)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Minnesota Fats)

April 29
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis v. Irving Crane)
5PM 2001 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Stefano Pelinga)
6PM 2003 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Segal)

Shining Stars Part II: The Duchess of Doom v. The Black Widow Round 2
April 30
11AM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Ewa Laurance v. Allison Fisher)
12PM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Vivian Villereal v. Jeanette Lee)
4PM 1997 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Allison Fisher v. Jeanette Lee)
5PM 2002 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)
6PM 2003 Women’s Tournament of Champions Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)

SPetty
04-24-2004, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> On the slim chance that someone forgot:<hr /></blockquote>hahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No way I forgot after all I've been through to get set up to record it! I bought some 8 hour tapes to record these on. I've actually figured out how to get my Dish and my VCR to work together, so as long as I leave my VCR on, I can go to the Dish guide and set a VCR event to record these things. Tons easier than trying to set up the VCR to record.

Thanks again, Wally, for posting this information so early months ago, and thanks again for posting it often enough that I don't forget. I suspect I'm not the only one that really really appreciates you posting the pool schedule.

recoveryjones
04-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Somebody PLEASE tape this stuff as it won't be on TV where I live.I have a selection of over 35 videos I'm willing to trade and access to over 60 accu-stat matches as well.Send me a PM please.Thanks, RJ

Ps. I'm mostly interested in the Lengendary players matches with secondary intrest in the trick shots and womens matches.

BDoc
04-25-2004, 12:45 PM
hey wally
i just checked espn.com's tv listing and thier now showing
old wpba matches being listed for all the 4/29 matches
instead of the legends. typical of espn!!??!! they always
get your hopes up and then let us down!!
i don't know about you but i've got enough womens pool and
trick shots taped check it out
doc

daviddjmp
04-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I will be taping all of them. I can't wait to get home tonight and watch those matches!

9 Ball Girl
04-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Huh? My listing shows Classic Billiards.

Barbara
04-26-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm watching the trick shot competition as we speak and this is AWESOME!!!

I've only seen Mosconi play in that Accustats Mosconi vs Caras match at Williamson's and that was towards the end of his life and not really him. Watching him closer towards his prime is just great!

And now Fatty is jawing at the crowd!

And Allen Hopkins is just soooo young!!

Barbara~~~loving it!!

Wally_in_Cincy
04-26-2004, 09:56 AM
now espn.com is showing 3 hours of 2001, 2002, 2003 Trick shot Magic for Thursday and classic WPBA matches for Friday.

wtf? I hope the website just has bad information.

PQQLK9
04-26-2004, 10:13 AM
how about UJ breaking down his cue when Lassiter came to the table with about 4 balls left /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .UJ was doing ok for a 72 yr. old.

Barbara
04-26-2004, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> how about UJ breaking down his cue when Lassiter came to the table with about 4 balls left /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .UJ was doing ok for a 72 yr. old. <hr /></blockquote>

"That's a hustler's move." -- Allen Hopkins

Barbara

<font color="blue">Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.</font color>

daviddjmp
04-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Barbara-

I saw Mosconi give an exhibition at Rutgers Student Center poolroom when I was in college. I stood about 4 feet from him and watched him run 187. It was unbelievable! That night(2am) I watched him and Mizerak play a money match in a private room in a downtown New Brunswick pool hall. Willie lost that night and complained a lot about the table, but it is one of my most memorable experiences-

daviddjmp
04-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Well, it looks like the schedule does not fit the matches. I have taped the first two days and the first match on the second day (Lassiter and Crane) is the same as the last match on the first day. No big deal, though. It is amazing to watch Mosconi play. People remember him for long runs shooting easy shots (because of flawless position) in straight pool, but he made two kick shots (cb to rail first)dead center pocket, a full table bank combination with about 1/4" clearance behind an ob near the rail. He can make shots as well as play position. None of them play like they used to, but it still is amazing to watch these guys in their 60s and 70s stroke the ball. I will continue to tape the rest of the series this week.

PQQLK9
04-28-2004, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> Well, it looks like the schedule does not fit the matches. I have taped the first two days and the first match on the second day (Lassiter and Crane) is the same as the last match on the first day. <hr /></blockquote>
Can you say three times?

#### leonard
04-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Watching it yesterday it put me back in time. This I remember, Cranfield wanted to play using a colored visor, like old time card players wore to defray the lighting for TV. Big Fights wouldn't let him but they would let U.J. Puckett wear his hat. I don't know if any of the fireworks hit the TV show.

Fatty gave Joe Canton and I three free days of exhibitions around 1970 at the Albany Golden Cue. As I like to say he talked for for 27 hours and never told the same lie twice. Whether you thought he could play or not he was the Worlds Greatest Talker. I never heard him say ahhhh once. His mind had to be wired directly to his mouth. Most comedians have a 10/20/30 minute routine. Fattys routine was endless. A truly remarkable man.

Of course Willie ran 169 and out me, that memory is just a blur. ####

daviddjmp
04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Fatty's talking is the only thing I don't like about the Classics. I want to see people play pool. I fast forward through his "show". I know that is why he is famous, but he is my least favorite player to watch.

Rich R.
04-28-2004, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> Fatty's talking is the only thing I don't like about the Classics. I want to see people play pool. I fast forward through his "show". I know that is why he is famous, but he is my least favorite player to watch. <hr /></blockquote>
One of the best things about pool, is the group of characters, who play the game. There are all types, some quiet and some loud. Some you will like and some you may not. However, let yourself experience the characters of pool. They bring a lot more to the table than their game and they should not be missed. They are very entertaining. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#### leonard
04-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Fatty had slowed down when this show was taped. He just was not as sharp as 12 years earlier. Seeing his tape just showed me how much he had slipped. ####

Eric.
04-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Hey D1ck,

I'm curious how close/far everyone was playing from their prime. Obviously, the show was taped in their twilight years, but it seemed to me that some guys like Puckett, for example, just played terrible(with all due respect). It seemed like Willie and Wimpy still had some game, but the others struggled at times.

Eric

daviddjmp
04-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Rich R Said:

"Some you will like and some you may not".

Agreed, I just don't think he was funny or entertaining at all, just a bore. I never saw him in his prime though, and his reputation is notorious-

#### leonard
04-29-2004, 06:17 AM
I would say that most were past their prime, Joe Balsis looked the youngest to me. Playing on TV was very new to the players, usually they only taped the final game in the tourney and there was only one tourney a year. IF one looked up the TV lights blinded you for a minute or so.

I would say if those players had the number of tourneys that todays players have WOW.

I think Puckett came from Texas I don't think they had any good players in TEXas till Jersey Red moved in.####

Eric.
04-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks, D1ck. It's interesting hearing it from someone that has first hand experience. Again, I don't want to sound disrespectful, but watching guys like Puckett, for example, really surprised me. He clearly didn't have that much experience playing rotation games. Nevermind the missed shots, I'm talking about the shot selection, position routes, as well as the kicking.

I hope I didn't sound like a poolplayer that thinks I'm better than I really am(there's alot of that in pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ), I'm not a world beater, just making some observations.

Eric

PQQLK9
04-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Check your PM

dmgwalsh
05-01-2004, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> On the slim chance that someone forgot:

Legends of the Fall- Hall of Fame Billiards Players
April 26
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. UJ Puckett)
12PM Classic trick shots from Classic's Billiards Atlantic City <font color="blue">This is new. They don't say what year it's from </font color>

5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Luther Lassiter v. Irving Crane)

April 27
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Minnesota Fats)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Willie Mosconi)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Cowboy Jimmy Moore)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Luther Lassiter)

April 28
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (UJ Puckett v. Babe Cranfield)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Babe Cranfield v. UJ Puckett)
5PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Babe Cranfield)
6PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Willie Mosconi v. Minnesota Fats)

April 29
11AM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Cowboy Jimmy Moore v. Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis)
12PM The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards (Joe “The Meat Man” Balsis v. Irving Crane)
5PM 2001 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Stefano Pelinga)
6PM 2003 Trick Shot Magic Finals (Mike Massey v. Segal)

Shining Stars Part II: The Duchess of Doom v. The Black Widow Round 2
April 30
11AM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Ewa Laurance v. Allison Fisher)
12PM 1998 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Vivian Villereal v. Jeanette Lee)
4PM 1997 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Allison Fisher v. Jeanette Lee)
5PM 2002 WPBA Classic Tour Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)
6PM 2003 Women’s Tournament of Champions Finals (Jeanette Lee v. Allison Fisher)

<hr /></blockquote>
Could someone tell me which of the classics matches were actually shown. I think I may have had a bad tape in one day and I'm wondering if I missed anything. I ended up with 7 matches and the old timers doing some trick shots.