PDA

View Full Version : For beginners: how the striped balls are numbered

Leviathan
04-25-2004, 06:02 AM
It's helpful to know how the striped balls are numbered. If you know how the solids are numbered (and you probably do if you play 9-Ball), you can calculate the numbers of the striped balls by applying the Plus 8 Rule (stripe equals solid plus 8). This rule means that the number of a ball that has a stripe of color A is 8 greater than the number of a solid-colored ball of color A.

Thus,

9 (yellow-white) = 1 (yellow) + 8
10 (blue-white) = 2 (blue) + 8
11 (light red-white) = 3 (light red) + 8
12 (purple-white) = 4 (purple) + 8
13 (orange-white) = 5 (orange) + 8
14 (green-white) = 6 (green) + 8
15 (dark red-white) = 7 (dark red) + 8.

(Test problem for beginners: What are the colors of the 16 ball?)

--AS

Troy
04-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Yup, it's also called "8's compliment".
By the way, the "compliment" to Black is White.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> It's helpful to know how the striped balls are numbered. If you know how the solids are numbered (and you probably do if you play 9-Ball), you can calculate the numbers of the striped balls by applying the Plus 8 Rule (stripe equals solid plus 8). This rule means that the number of a ball that has a stripe of color A is 8 greater than the number of a solid-colored ball of color A.

Thus,

9 (yellow-white) = 1 (yellow) + 8
10 (blue-white) = 2 (blue) + 8
11 (light red-white) = 3 (light red) + 8
12 (purple-white) = 4 (purple) + 8
13 (orange-white) = 5 (orange) + 8
14 (green-white) = 6 (green) + 8
15 (dark red-white) = 7 (dark red) + 8.

(Test problem for beginners: What are the colors of the 16 ball?)

--AS <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
04-25-2004, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>15 (dark red-white) = 7 (dark red) + 8.

<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 7-ball is not dark red. It's plum colored.

Barbara

<font color="blue">The tallest blade of grass is the first to get cut down by the lawn mower.</font color>

Troy
04-25-2004, 09:52 AM
I call it Maroon, but what do I know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>15 (dark red-white) = 7 (dark red) + 8.

<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara

<font color="blue">The tallest blade of grass is the first to get cut down by the lawn mower.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
04-25-2004, 10:24 AM
PLUM!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I call it Maroon, but what do I know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>15 (dark red-white) = 7 (dark red) + 8.

<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara

<font color="blue">The tallest blade of grass is the first to get cut down by the lawn mower.</font color> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Leviathan
04-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi, Barbara--Hope all is well with you. Plum? Plum? I guess I shouldn't be surprised: The Wall Street Journal reported recently that Martha Stewart will introduce a line of economically priced billiard balls in fashion colors in time for the next Super Billiards Expo. The balls will be pigment dyed in exciting new colors (mango, sandstone, spumoni, grapefruit, spruce, wallaby, etc.) and will be available at K-Mart stores everywhere.

AS

Barbara
04-25-2004, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Hi, Barbara--Hope all is well with you. Plum? Plum? I guess I shouldn't be surprised: The Wall Street Journal reported recently that Martha Stewart plans to introduce an economical line of fashion-color billiard balls in time for the next Expo. The balls will be pigment dyed in exciting new colors (mango, sandstone, spumoni, mango, spruce, wallaby, etc.), and will be available at K-Mart stores everywhere.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO!!!

Yeah, plum. Ask George Fels. George??

Barbara

<font color="blue">If you want to get to the top, prepare to kiss a lot of the bottom.</font color>

bluewolf
04-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Plum, maroon, dark red? Any other suggestions like my sister says if you mix dark red with blue = burgundy. Dark red with more blue - eggplant. She says maroon is close to a burgundy like the Va Tech colors teehee.

Laura

Troy
04-25-2004, 01:43 PM
YES, MA'AM !!!!!

Troy...~~~ Can never again say "I've been marooned"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> PLUM!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I call it Maroon, but what do I know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara

<font color="blue">The tallest blade of grass is the first to get cut down by the lawn mower.</font color> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
04-25-2004, 10:55 PM
HAHAHAHA You guys make me laugh. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~maroon, no plum! LOL I'll go with Voodoo and say Blood. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jimmy B
04-26-2004, 02:31 AM
On the new TV balls it's Brown and the 4 and 12 are pink, but as far as the plum -v- maroon thing goes I'll lean toward maroon.

JB

CarolNYC
04-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Ha Ha Ha
A "pink" 4-the first time I saw a pink 4-ball was at a NEWT stop in Binghamton-now look-its on TV!
Carol~doesnt care what color,as long as I pocket the right ball!ha ha ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fred Agnir
04-26-2004, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> 15 (dark red-white) = 7 (dark red) + 8.<hr /></blockquote> Just to put in my $.02 that I've sent on a PM, according to Saluc of Belgium, the 15-ball and the 7-ball is closest to Pantone 202C. This color has been described as Burgundy and Dark Red (among other things I supppose).

It's supposed to be tertiary, I guess. I would have made it brown right off the bat, like the TV ball set.

Fred

Chris Cass
04-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Funny story Jimbo. Jonny K. told me he was going to order one of the pink. I asked him why? He said he wanted to get used to the color. LOL I told him, it was easy after the first rack.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif these new colors came about when the closet opened up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

pooltchr
04-26-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Plum, maroon, dark red? Any other suggestions like my sister says if you mix dark red with blue = burgundy. Dark red with more blue - eggplant. She says maroon is close to a burgundy like the Va Tech colors teehee.

Laura

<hr /></blockquote>

Maybe we should just refer to the color as "Hokey"!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
04-26-2004, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> as far as the plum -v- maroon thing goes I'll lean toward maroon.

JB <hr /></blockquote>

Jimbo, you ARE a maroon /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;whadda maroon

wolfdancer
04-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Who is George Fels? Is he on " Surprise by Design"? Some kind of color co-ordinator expert?

Wally_in_Cincy
04-28-2004, 06:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Who is George Fels? Is he on " Surprise by Design"? Some kind of color co-ordinator expert? <hr /></blockquote>

He is the hair expert on Queer Eye For The Straight Guy.