PDA

View Full Version : The Fun Tournament Director

Mr Ingrate
04-25-2004, 12:16 PM
The Fun Tournament Director is available for free download from my web site davespooltools.com. (http://www.davespooltools.com)

This format was first used at the 2nd Annual CCB 9-Ball Tournament at the 2003 US Open 9-Ball Championships. I've since used it for Santa's Anonymous and other fund raisers and its is very popular with all involved.

I decided to write The Fun Tournament Director with the ability to handle from 8 to 64 players and make it free to all. I'm sure you will find it popular for fund raisers or just fun tournaments. There are no activation keys required and it will always be free to use. I retain my rights under copyright.

Here is a list of features:
- Runs under Microsoft Windows based operating systems.
- Written in SM32 an open-source, Business Basic language.
- GUI (graphical user interface) uses a browser approach for easy understanding and navigation.
- All printing is done on standard 8.5 x 11 paper.
- A minimum of 8 and a maximum of 64 entries are allowed.
- Partnership pairings change each round. You will never have the same partner twice and will never play the same partnership twice.
- Once entries are closed, they are randomized and the match-ups for all rounds are generated.
- A complete entry master list in alphabetical order may be printed.
- Round schedules may be viewed and printed.
- Match score sheets may be viewed and printed.
- Tournament scores, once entered, are automatically tabulated.
- Tournament score summaries may be viewed and printed.

The rotating partner concept has a few restrictions due to its nature.

1. Scores are kept individually since there are no fixed partnerships.
2. Each player must play the same number of games, therefore you cannot play a race. You must play a fixed number of games for each match.
3. There cannot be any byes in the round for the same reason. The number of entries must be evenly divisible by four ie; 8, 12, 16, etc.

This is a very "social" format and I know it will prove popular for your fun or fund raiser tournaments.

My cable company who hosts my stuff, in their infinite wisdom, do not always update their servers in a timely manner. Should you have a problem and you see their version of the Blue Screen of Death, just hold down your CTRL key and click on the refresh button on your browser. This should force them to update the cache.

bluewolf
04-25-2004, 03:15 PM
What a hoot. A member of the abw club, myself=anything but windows. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Mr Ingrate
04-26-2004, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> What a hoot. A member of the abw club, myself=anything but windows. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Perhaps you could enlighten me. Are you saying its funny that I would write this software for free or funny that I would choose to write it for Windows?

If the former, why do you find that a hoot? If the latter, what is your superior alternative?

9 Ball Girl
04-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi Dave! Very well done!

Eric.
04-26-2004, 10:37 AM
HAving tried the format of the program, it made for a great "fun" pool tournament. IMO, this worked out great for a groupd of poolplayers playing in a social event. For that matter, this might be great for a Pro-Am charity event, kinda like the thing at Valley Forge. Nice job, Dave.

Eric

Mr Ingrate
04-26-2004, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Hi Dave! Very well done! <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Wendy,

If you use this software for CCB-III you won't have to have a 32 player limit. It will handle up to 64 and remember you can stop at the end of any round and everyone will have played the same number of games.

Mr Ingrate
04-26-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> HAving tried the format of the program, it made for a great "fun" pool tournament. IMO, this worked out great for a groupd of poolplayers playing in a social event. For that matter, this might be great for a Pro-Am charity event, kinda like the thing at Valley Forge. Nice job, Dave.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Eric,

We had a great fund raiser last Saturday and had a 3 way tie for first place. We did a spot shot shootout to settle the standings. I learned my lesson at last year's CCB-II when the Cassman and Anonumus Ed made shot after shot into the same pocket. This time it was left foot corner, then right foot corner, then bank to the left head corner, then bank to the right head corner ... and that decided it.

bluewolf
04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr>

Perhaps you could enlighten me. Are you saying its funny that I would write this software for free or funny that I would choose to write it for Windows?

If the former, why do you find that a hoot? If the latter, what is your superior alternative? <hr /></blockquote>

I saw humor mixed in with the good stuff on the brackets. Your stuff always has humor in it, even when it has other, good stuff in it.

I often see humor where others do not and if you did not intend it that way, sorry.

The brackets looked great, also the ideas for a tournament were great, just saw a little humor mixed in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura