PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new pool table

Bone
04-26-2004, 02:35 PM
I've got a couple of questions for the pool guru's in these boards. Hopefully you can help me out.

1) I am buying a new pool table within the next month. I don't want anything fancy like with the claw type legs, exotic wood or anything like that. I want something like you see the professionals on tv play on. Something that looks basic and simple as far as the design but that is a quality table geared towards a more advanced player. I am currently considering the Olhausen Grand Champion. Do you any of you guys or ladies have any recommendations. Of course the less money I spend the better but I don't want to sacrifice quality to save a few bucks.

2) I've shot pool for over 10 yrs. at pool halls and at some bars. I never have paid much attention to the dimensions of the table I was playing on. What is the size of the tables the pro's play on like on the tourneys on TV, also what would most likely be size of the tables if you were to walk into a pool room.

Sorry for the long post but I hope everyone can share some of there knowledge and opinions with me. I appreciate all replys.

ras314
04-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I think most of the TV tourneys are played on 9 ft tables, playing area of 50" by 100" which is the distance between the nose of the cushions.

Just went thru the process of buying a new table myself. I decided on the Diamond Professional which is not "fancy" but is a very good playing table. Probably the most common high quality pool hall table is the Brunswick Gold Crown, few have either Diamonds or Olhausens. Anyplace deserving the name pool hall should have at least some 9 ft tables.

Cloth and installers will make a big difference also, do not skimp in that area. Also pay some attention to humidity and temperature control.

Frank_Glenn
04-26-2004, 08:48 PM
You want a 4.5X9 table. Look for a used Diamond or GC in your price range. Have it professionally moved and set up with the good cloth (S860, S760, Granito Basalt). Have the pockets at least double shimmed IMO.

Jimmy B
04-27-2004, 02:19 AM
I agree with Frank except for the double shimmed part. I think if you don't even know what table size you've been playing on for 10 years you may not be at a level where you'd enjoy a tight table (not a knock. I think single shimmed or not at all would work and if in 6 months you find the table to easy the you can adjust with the refinish. Chances are if it's not in a house with Serious shooter types (practice a few hours a day) it will get more use and be enjoyed a lot more normal. I had a Diamond pro that I double shimmed all the pockets and triple shimmed the foot end and that table was no fun (with the deep shelf. It made me not want to play and when I did it really changed my game, I couldn't hit any shots with pace and heavy english because they would spit out. I found myself cinching balls and not playing the normal position shots I would on the GCIII's down at the room I play tournaments in. It always sounds like a good practice aid but when it discourages you from playing it's not a good thing. When you do get the table with the good clothe use Quik Clean to keep it nice:-}

JB

Bone
04-27-2004, 06:01 AM
I appreciate the information guys. Looks like I've got the answers i've been looking for.

Thanks!!

Wally_in_Cincy
04-27-2004, 07:00 AM
How big is the room you are putting this in?

Bone
04-27-2004, 09:57 AM
I believe the room is 17'?" x 13'4". The inches may not be exact. I am in the process of buying a new house and I plan on putting the pool table in this room. I figured once I move in I would try to rope off an area the same dimensions of the pool table I will consider getting to get an idea of the amount of room I will have. I would like to have a small round table with a couple of bar stools or something along those lines and maybe even a small moveable bar. I've seen these bars on several billiard websites which sell furniture. They don't look like they would take up a whole lot of room.

Nightstalker
04-27-2004, 10:17 AM
If that is the size of the room it seems small to put a 9' table in it.

Ken
04-27-2004, 01:27 PM
That room is big enough for a 7 foot table. With another foot in each direction it would be tight for an oversixe 8 foot. The Diamond 7 foot tables are designed to play like a pro 9 foot table but I'd look for another house.
Ken in CT

Scott Lee
04-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Bone...I have a friend here with a 9' Ohlhausen Grand Champion. It is a top-quality, beautiful "furniture-style" table. It also retails for $10K! You can do much better, as suggested by others, by buying a Diamond or a Brunswick Gold Crown. However, as mentioned by Ken, your room dimensions are much too small for a 9' table. Minimum size room for a 9' table is 15 x 20...and that's without the table, chairs, sofa, etc. You should be looking at 7' tables, which, although they don't play the same as a 'pro' size, they will at least allow you your own table to play and practice on. Diamond makes the Signature Pro and the Smart Table in 7' sizes, and the tables play exceptionally well. Their prices are very reasonable for professional quality pool tables (much less than Brunswick), and you can order off of their website. I would suggest calling them to discuss your needs. Some folks suggested used, but you are not likely to find a used 7' table, that's not a beat up barbox, or a cheaper, home version table. Neither will play like the Diamonds (even a 7' model). Good luck in your search.

Scott Lee

Wally_in_Cincy
04-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Scott Lee I must concur the 7' Diamond Smart tables are very nice. Mr. Bone would do well to purchase one or, as Ken said, build a bigger house /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif