PDA

View Full Version : is meucci cues any good??

aminoacid5
04-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Hi folks, this is my first post on this wonderful site. I would like to thank all of you in advance for answering my question for me. I have recently inquired about a new Meucci cue from my local billiard store. The owner of the store strongly advised against purchasing of any recently made Meucci due to deterioration of craftsmanship. However, I've had great experience from years of playing a Meucci cue prior to it being traded for a Schon (by my brother). And reading from the Meucci nightmare post below, I wonder if I should invest in a Meucci or not. Also, I wonder if the higher end Meucci would be any different than the lower end massively produced ones. Once again, thank you for any reply!!

Predator314
04-27-2004, 08:19 AM
I don't think you're going to get too much Meucci love on this board. I have a friend that plays with a Meucci sneaky Pete and he likes it. I've played with it a little bit and it played too differently from my Predator cues for me to like them.

A few years ago, you were "the man" if you got a Meucci. A lot of the people in the pool hall bought different Meuccis. I held out because I really liked my McDermott I was playing with at the time. I did notice a lot of those Meucci cues had problems. The two most common problems were the ferrules cracking and the wraps coming loose. Now these were low end Meucci cues. There is one guy that doesn't live around here, but plays in the state tournament every year. He has a higher end Meucci. It's a beautiful cue and really likes it. He says the only work that's been done to it is shaft cleaning and tip repair.

aminoacid5
04-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your reply! What would you recommend for its replacement?? Do you know any other brand that plays like it??

dooziexx
04-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah, stay away from meucci. They seem to have alot of problems with their black dot shafts which warps too easily. There are alot of production cues out there but I dont know if theres one that plays like a meucci. Schons and Predators a very good cues too. You might want to try them out before you make your decision to get one.

Predator314
04-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Depending on your budget, some brands I suggest would be: Predator, Schon, Joss, Falcon, McDermott, Viking, and Helmstetter. I personally suggest a Predator. I have been playing with Predator cues for a couple years now and probably won't be switching anytime soon.

If you tell me how much you're wanting to spend, I can be a little more specific.

woody_968
04-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Well I would agree with what you have already been told. Early Meucci cues were good cues, but what they are making now is highly questionable. Depending on what you want to spend and how fancy you want the cue to be I would look at a lower end custom from a good cue builder. I play with a Madison Bob Griffin cue and love it. As was already mentioned Mcdermotts are fine cues, Joss cues are great but personally I question the consistency of the hit of different cues they are putting out today but of course that is personal oppinion. Falcon's are nice and Predators seem to have a large following.

With all the choices out there I would stay away from Meucci, and I played mainly Meucci for most of the time that I have played pool.

aminoacid5
04-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks for replying, Predator314. I am thinking about spending around $1000, give and take a few hundreds. Can you elaborate on the style and feel of a Predator cue? I currently uses a Schon cue, but still prefers the way Meucci hits (the softness). I'll look into a Predator cue though! Thanks again.

dg-in-centralpa
04-27-2004, 02:35 PM
I have an older Meucci(15 years old) and I hated it from the beginning. I personally have a Predator and a custom cue. For what you are looking for, Predator, Schon, are good production cues, and Dale Perry makes nice low end custom cues as well. Check your PM.

DG

Scott Lee
04-27-2004, 02:50 PM
The "softness" of the hit you describe has nothing to do with the brand of cue. You feel a difference in the hit between the Schon and the Meucci because the Schon is a metal joint, and the Meucci is flat-faced "wood-to-wood".
Any cue with this same type of joint will give you that same type of "soft" feeling hit. For example, I play with a $4000 custom Samsara with the same kind of joint, and it also has that 'soft' hit...which I happen to like. My Cognoscenti, with the G-10 epoxy joint pin, also has the same 'soft' hit. Many years ago, I also played with a Balabushka for 17 years that had the standard nickle-silver joint, and loved it too! Nothing wrong with Schon, Joss, and any other cues (most manufactures, like McDermott, Viking, Joss, and others, make cues with several types of joints available...Meucci does not) that were mentioned. You should try to play with several of your friends cues of different types of joints to see what you like best. You're thinking of investing a significant amount of money, so there are literally dozens of brands open to you, both custom and 'mainline' manufacturers. The options are quite vast, and almost any of them might fit you. Personally, I would not recommend a Predator, but that is just me. There are many here who swear by them...at least the "shafts". The Predator butts are all made by Falcon, and imo, are overpriced. jmo

Scott Lee

Cueless Joey
04-27-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm gonna take a pic of the ferrule that was recently removed off a $900 Meucci.
It's pretty sick. The bottom of the cap is nowhere the top of the shaft's tenon. Meucci now uses this ferrule. We suspect their shafts are now made in Taiwan.

daviddjmp
04-27-2004, 04:29 PM
If you are spending a grand on a new cue, I would strongly encourage you to buy an entry level custom cue from one of the many fine cue makers. You can get a fine cue for that money. That is of course unless you need it right away-

JPB
04-27-2004, 09:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> If you are spending a grand on a new cue, I would strongly encourage you to buy an entry level custom cue from one of the many fine cue makers. You can get a fine cue for that money. That is of course unless you need it right away- <hr /></blockquote>

Exactly. I will say it more strongly though. If you have 1000 to spend on a cue and get a meucci you need to check yourself in for commitment proceedings. You need some time away to relax with very strong medication. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Look, for 1000 you can get all kinds of stuff. If you don't know what you want, get something very cheap for now and research and stuff. Spend less than 200 and then get something better. You can get countless custom sticks for less than 1000. Let's see, you can find a capone on the internet for around that, or probably get a plain one for less. Getting a meucci instead would border on the criminal. JJcue has a couple of mcdaniels for a grand. You can get a custom dayton or omen. You can get a nitti for less. Or all kinds of others. Do not spend a g note on a meucci. If you want a production cue, you can get a joss for less than half and have a nice looking cue depending. You can get a schon. Or a host of other production cues. I would much sooner spend 75-100 on a very cheap production before I got a meucci.

buddha162
04-28-2004, 12:13 AM
For one G please, please delete Meucci from your list. Imo, 300-400 MAX should be spent on any production cue.

Add 3 Bens to that G-note and you can purchase a plethora of great looking, great hitting cues. Check out the Capones and other custom cues at classiccues.com, billiardswarehouse.com, onthehill.net, or indyq.com

Personally, I would buy a Capone or Skip Weston, and add one or two Predator shafts to the cue.

A great cue for now when you research the various custom makers out there would be a JOSS. Buy on Ebay for best deals.

-roger

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote aminoacid5:</font><hr> Thanks for replying, Predator314. I am thinking about spending around $1000, give and take a few hundreds. Can you elaborate on the style and feel of a Predator cue? I currently uses a Schon cue, but still prefers the way Meucci hits (the softness). I'll look into a Predator cue though! Thanks again. <hr /></blockquote>

1Time
04-28-2004, 01:12 AM
For the record, I have no loyalty to Meucci cues as a brand, and I have no reason to doubt the validity of the criticisms made of the late model Meucci cues. However, my $200 "Quantum by Meucci" cue plays like grand, and I wouldn't consider playing with any other cue.

Here's (http://www.americanbilliards.net/meucci.htm) a link to a site I found that sells it.

CarolNYC
04-28-2004, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should try to play with several of your friends cues of different types of joints to see what you like best <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

Rich R.
04-28-2004, 03:53 AM
Several people have suggested a Capone cue, and he does make an excellent cue.
Here is the web site.
http://www.caponecues.com/

Give Capone a call. You won't be sorry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

aminoacid5
04-28-2004, 11:38 PM
First of all, thank you all for such useful feedbacks!! I was looking @ a predator cue just a few days ago, but now I would seriously consider a Capone custom low end cue. Funny how one of the advice is to take some serious medication if I spend one grand on a Meucci. I am a pharmacist. Hopefully there is enough extra work for me to make up for the $$money$$ I'm about to spend /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have not shot for quite a long time, but is about to pick the game back up again. All the advices from years of experiences is truely helpful!! I'll give Capone cue a call first thing tomorrow. Thanks again!!

Chris Cass
04-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi aminoacid5,

Don't be surprized if you get the answering machine and your call isn't returned. Mike must be busy these days. I would try emailing him. Maybe that will do the trick.You might concider checking out the major tourneys. Mike himself I believe will be at his booth. He will be at the US Open this yr I'm pretty sure. Then, you'll get to meet and talk with him. I find it's good to do business face to face. This way you get your relationship right from the start. After all, it could be a lifetime thing? Please remember to check out Mica' cue at the Open if you go. It's a beaut. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Pizza Bob
04-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Ditto about e-mailing rather than calling. Mike is in the middle of a move from NJ to, are you ready for this?...Pooleville, MD. LOL. His plain cues go for around $700 with two shafts. If you want to go the grand, you can get something a bit fancier. Mike will definitely be at the Open, so that's another avenue of approach. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Predator314
04-29-2004, 09:43 AM
I've never had a custom cue. How long is the average wait for a custom cue? Or does it vary too much from cuemaker to cuemaker.

buddha162
04-29-2004, 09:54 AM
I don't think Capone is using his email address anymore. There's only a telephone number at his website.

Check out these available Capone cues on various dealer sites:
http://www.onthehill.net/Capone.htm
http://www.indyq.com/custom/capone/index.html
http://billiardswarehouse.com/cueobsessions/capone/capone_custom_pool_cues.htm

That's the route I would go if I can play with the weights (mostly 19 oz) of those Capones.

I would imagine Mike's wait is over 6 months at this point.

-roger

Pizza Bob
04-29-2004, 10:48 AM
I think Mike is quoting about 6 - 7 months, but that may have changed since I talked to him last. Best to get it from the horse's mouth. Yes, lead time varies greatly from maker to maker. 7 years for a SW or Szamboti, down to a matter of weeks from some of the lesser known makers.

As far as I know the e-mail address is still good. He was having some problems with his e-mail service provider, so that could be what you experienced. He has a new phone number for Maryland, but I'll let him publish that, when he's ready. If the old one (609 area code) is still active and has the machine on it, go ahead and leave a message. I know he was trying to complete his move by the end of this month - which is almost upon us.

Adios,

Bob

Predator314
04-29-2004, 01:33 PM
For $1000, you can do pretty good. If you like the "soft" hit of a wood to wood joint, I don't think you will like the Predator Cues as much. I used a McDermott cue for years. It had the Wood-Wood joint. I switched to a Helmstetter and then to a Predator. There was a pretty considerable difference in the hits between the McDermott and the Helmstetter/Predator cues. It took a week or 2 to get used to them.

If I had a $1000 budget, I'd probably go custom also. It depends on how you want your cue to look. I don't think you can get too fancy with $1000 on a custom cue, but I might be wrong. You can get pretty fancy with a production cue and can also try out different types of cues.

A Predator in that price range would be the 3k6 or the new 4k6. They run about $950. You can get the 3K6 online for $756 in most places.

Predator314
04-29-2004, 01:37 PM
I forgot to add:

If you like the Meucci, don't let any of us keep you from getting one. A lot of people don't like George Bush, but that's not going to stop me from voting for him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's only important that you like the cue.

Nightstalker
04-29-2004, 01:41 PM
IMO Meucci are crap but I have a Fury so that is crap too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sigep1967
04-29-2004, 03:10 PM
You could call Mike Erwin in Sara MS. He was the shop foreman at Meucci for 17 years and left to do his own thing. I have one of his cues and it plays great. Not quite as whippy as the meucci and excellent workmanship. His prices are good too.

DMoney1644
04-29-2004, 05:06 PM
if i had a grand to throw around, i'd first get a nice production cue to use in tourneys and whatnot, then take the rest of the money to walmart and buy as many of their sh!t cues as i could and enjoy the looks on peoples' faces as i snap one over my knee each time i miss an easy shot.

aminoacid5
04-29-2004, 06:46 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif What wonderful idea!! However, my Prozac refuses to let me have my outbursts!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have contacted Mr. Mike Capone (the whole time I'm thinking, man, how cool it would be to have a gangster name like Capone) and still waiting for reply. To all the wonderful professionals out there, do you know if he would make some sort of special marking (i.e. since I'm a pharmacist, something like "Rx") if I make such ridiculous request?? Would that be out of line?? I have requested in my e-mail that I'm willing to pay somewhere between $1500-$2000 for a custom cue. Perhaps I can hand it down to my new born son someday /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Still, I'll be looking for a cheaper Meucci cue that's made earlier. I think that'll be my best bet!!

JPB
04-29-2004, 07:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote aminoacid5:</font><hr> First of all, thank you all for such useful feedbacks!! I was looking @ a predator cue just a few days ago, but now I would seriously consider a Capone custom low end cue. Funny how one of the advice is to take some serious medication if I spend one grand on a Meucci. I am a pharmacist. Hopefully there is enough extra work for me to make up for the $$money$$ I'm about to spend /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have not shot for quite a long time, but is about to pick the game back up again. All the advices from years of experiences is truely helpful!! I'll give Capone cue a call first thing tomorrow. Thanks again!! <hr /></blockquote>

I decided to follow my own advice. (Along w/ some others' here) There is one less available capone at those dealers mentioned. So the supply shrunk by one. If I like it, maybe I'll get another one made. But I need instant gratification now so couldn't wait. I will report in when I get it. I am sure THIS cue, unlike all the others I bought, will make me a champ. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

aminoacid5
04-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Please post the picture if possible!! I would love to see which one you've purchased.

catscradle
04-30-2004, 05:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> ... They seem to have alot of problems with their black dot shafts which warps too easily... <hr /></blockquote>

How does anybody manage to make a laminated shaft that warps easily? I wouldn't have a Muecci either, but are you sure about that?

BLACKHEART
04-30-2004, 07:55 AM
You can take some short cuts in the turning process, but if you don't cut them at least 4 times, before you get the final size ,THEY WILL WARP...Jer

dooziexx
04-30-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi aminoacid5,
I just sent you a personal message. Please check your mailbox. Thanks.
-Erik

MeUcciCue
05-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi all,
I have had my Meucci pool cue for over 4 years now, And i wouldnt ever consider playing with anything but a Meucci.
Its still straight as an arrow, And plays like a brand new stick.
Click to check out a nice Meucci Cue (http://www.geocities.com/lifedesires03/Meucci.html)