PDA

View Full Version : ips and such

bluewolf
04-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Surfing the archives is a fun thing to do when a person has nothing to do.I had a great time a few days ago tracing all of the aliases of unamed persons, some of whom who I guess have been removed from the database, but none the less revealing where they are posting from. The results were, to put it mildly,interesting.

Now I have had my little whatever with my new ip program while wearing my 'sherlock holmes' hat, and it is back to pool.

Suppose you do not want for anyone to know the city and state you live in? But the ip softwear tells where you are at least pretty close, and if someone knows your name and just the city and state, you can get a person's actual physical address, phone number by going to certain sites. I did that one once a number of years before my ccb days and it was actually scary.

Having ips keeps off those nasty aliases but at what cost? I wonder about yw, who put up ww physical adress,of his previous place of employment, phone number and FL adress and birthday and with ips published publically here, this makes the work of the crazies so much easier and also legal.

So what is the best, protecting the forum or protecting the person?

Laura

Nightstalker
04-28-2004, 08:06 PM
I can protect myself, with your choice of a full-frame 6" barrel Kimber Custom Classic .45 or my size 11 foot which knows all kinds of neat ways to cause great bodily harm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
04-29-2004, 05:01 AM
I also have a smithfield 45, a 40 cal glock and know how to use them because I take gun classes and shoot on the range. I also have the type of personality that if someone is a threat to be, rather than panic I am in that 'no fear' mentality.

But also think that the public posting of ips may help some things and others worse.

These (ips) just narrow down to the area to person is posting from but that leaves the door open to finding more detailed info.

Tracing ips when publically posted with a program bought from the mcaffee site is perfectly legal, but other information posted on ocassion makes one wonder about the legality of the methods used.

YW alias ips trace as two locations, 3000 miles apart, indicating two people doing this together or someone who travels a lot. While I am pretty sure of the identity of these two persons and it would not be too hard to find out where they live, I do not intend to do so. It just is not worth my time.

Tha latest attack on Fran by one or both of these persons did upset me and they not only attacked on playpool but also went on amazon under fake names and bashed her book. Luckily, a person who was angry about this complained to amazon and had this review removed.

Messing with me when I got on here is one thing, but trashing a profession, especially when that person just wants to help others with their game was very cruel, IMO.While I had nothing to lose since I do not depend on pool for my livlihood, attempts to destroy a person's ability to make a living is beyond deplorable.

While there are many good people in the world, there are also some very sick ones and both types are on the internet. IPs are just the beginning of the abilty of such persons the act out their psychopathic cruelty.

I have also seen that some do not put their location in their profile yet ips enable the unscrupless to track the city and state in where they live.

Laura

Nightstalker
04-29-2004, 05:34 AM
Just use an anonoymous web proxy.

bluewolf
04-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Dont know how. It might be more of an issue for some than for me. My address even, if not in my name. I am not even registered in the state where my husbands has his house, am often out of state and when I am am at different places, which makes me a little harder to track. Why dont you tell us how to use that anonamous web thing?

Laura

Nightstalker
04-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Here are a few to get you started. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Guardster (http://www.guardster.com)
Megaproxy (http://www.megaproxy.com)

WaltVA
04-29-2004, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I also have a smithfield 45, a 40 cal glock and know how to use them....
Laura <hr /></blockquote> Laura - I'm familiar with a Springfield .45 (Springfield Armory), but not with a Smithfield; is this a hybrid of a Smith &amp; Wesson and a Springfield Armory, or is it a new manufacturer?

Walt in VA

Nightstalker
04-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Maybe it is a Smith &amp; Wesson slide mated to a Springfield frame, or vice versa? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

WaltVA
04-29-2004, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Maybe it is a Smith &amp; Wesson slide mated to a Springfield frame, or vice versa? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
That's what I meant by a hybrid; just wanted to see if somebody had tried something like the "Commanding Officer" Colts that were popular for a while, tho I can't see the advantage here.
Walt in Va

Nightstalker
04-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I am not sure if that would work well or not myself, but we'll see what Laura says. I have never heard of anyone doing that.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2004, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr>
...I'm familiar with a Springfield .45 (Springfield Armory), but not with a Smithfield...<hr /></blockquote>

It's a ham

http://www.smithfieldfarms.com/images/sham.jpg

I used to work for a company that designed meat packing plants. They would often send us gifts of meat. We had a grill out back /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WaltVA
04-29-2004, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr>
...I'm familiar with a Springfield .45 (Springfield Armory), but not with a Smithfield...<hr /></blockquote>

It's a ham....

Wally - Shoulda knowed that - I'm less than 15 minutes from Smithfield, Ham Capital of the World, and it's my favorite. But I always bought it by the pound, not by the caliber /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Walt in VA (confused country boy, straightened out by the Pride of Hamiltucky)

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2004, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr>... I always bought it by the pound, not by the caliber ... <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can see it now.

"Stop or I'll shoot.....er....I meant, stop or I'll make red-eye gravy"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally~~partial to Cumberland Gap country ham

Eric.
04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Surfing the archives is a fun thing to do when a person has nothing to do.I had a great time a few days ago tracing all of the aliases of unamed persons, some of whom who I guess have been removed from the database, but none the less revealing where they are posting from. The results were, to put it mildly,interesting.

Now I have had my little whatever with my new ip program while wearing my 'sherlock holmes' hat, and it is back to pool.

Suppose you do not want for anyone to know the city and state you live in? But the ip softwear tells where you are at least pretty close, and if someone knows your name and just the city and state, you can get a person's actual physical address, phone number by going to certain sites. I did that one once a number of years before my ccb days and it was actually scary.

Having ips keeps off those nasty aliases but at what cost? I wonder about yw, who put up ww physical adress,of his previous place of employment, phone number and FL adress and birthday and with ips published publically here, this makes the work of the crazies so much easier and also legal.

So what is the best, protecting the forum or protecting the person?

Laura

<hr /></blockquote>

Eric

9 Ball Girl
04-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Ah but I still can't forget

The Beginning of Our Pool Story (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=18290&amp;page =109&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1)

I was but a mere newbie back then.