PDA

View Full Version : Pool Glasses?

JimS
04-30-2002, 07:30 AM
I'm having my eyes examined Friday and will be getting new lenses for my pool glasses.

I've been looking at glasses made for shooting at www.sportglasses.com (http://www.sportglasses.com) Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses.

Have any of you tried these glasses or any other brand of sport glasses? Do you have any recommendations for me? I've heard that Howard Vickory promotes or sells some brand of glasses but I've no specifics. Anyone know anything about that?

Your input will be vauled and appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Pizza Bob
04-30-2002, 07:37 AM
Shooting glasses work just fine. With shooting glasses, just as with glasses made for pool, the optical center of the lens needs to be elevated from its normal position. Make sure your optician understands this.

There are special snooker frames made that have lowered nose pieces - which accomplish the same thing - raising the optical center.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Stan Shuffett
04-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Jim,
I have been using a pair of Decot Hy-wyds for 10 years. Structurally, they're top notch. Functionally, they do the job. They just don't interfere with my game in any way. Consider only the black frame as the gold frame reflects light. Also, Keep in mind that your correction for every day vision may not be what you require for pool. In my situation, I am nearsighted, and my pool glasses only have a correction factor that is effective for up to about 10 feet. A stronger lens causes a blur at the ferrule and tip when I address the cue ball. Just be sure and consider all the varibles when you finalize your lens order.
In previous posts, thanks for the nice comments you have made about my son, Landon.
Stan Shuffett

JohnnyP
04-30-2002, 09:43 AM
Jim:

I'm pretty near sighted, so the doc made my last pair with a variable focal length. No visible lines like tri-focals, just a smoothly varying prescription.

They work pretty well for pool, except for the long shots, then I have to raise my head a little. Not bad, though.

JimS
04-30-2002, 10:25 AM
Bingo! Thanks Stan! I was looking for a recommendation, or lack thereof, for the Decots Hy Wyds. I checked with my eye Dr. this morning and he reported that he has had many shooters order from Decot using his prescription.

I've had glasses for pool for the last two years and my Dr. has been very careful to prescribe them in single view lens so that my field of vision is sharpest from 3 to 12 feet.

I'll be getting a small bifocal in the corner of these new lenses so I can read the menu, scoresheets etc while playing. I shoot pool with my chin just off the cue so the center of vision will be raised towards the top of the lenses.

Stan...do you find it necessary to wear an elastic strap to hold them up as I do with my current shooting glasses?

As for my comments about Landon.......well, he's a neat kid and deserves to be encouraged...hell we all deserve to be encouraged if we're making efforts to excell!

Thanks all for your comments and helpful suggestions.

Stan Shuffett
04-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Jim,
No, you won't need an elastic strap. Each arm at its end bends right to the bottom of each ear. Once you put them in place, you will not feel the need to piddle with them in any way. Good luck, glad I could help.
Stan

TommyT
04-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Contact Randy Goetlicher at Poolschool.com. He sells custom glasses made for playing pool. He wears them himself.

TommyT

JimS
04-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Thank you. I'll talk to him.

sliprock
04-30-2002, 09:55 PM
I bought some glasses from Decot about 5 years ago and it's the best money that I've spent on my game.

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:52 AM
Good morning Jim:

I would recommend bringing your cue with you. This way, when the prescription is written, your eye doctor will know exactly where you will be looking through the lenses when you aim and shoot.

Dr. D.

Bob_in_Cincy
05-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Jim,

I guy at the room where I play ordered a pair from Howard Vickery. When they arrived, the name on the case was ... wait for it ....Decot :-) He likes them a lot, by the way.

Bob in Cincy

CarolNYC
05-02-2002, 05:00 AM
Get contacts /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Carol`colored ones especially-if your dark haired,blue eyes will look awesome!:)

JimS
05-02-2002, 08:33 AM
Your input has definitely solidified my decision. Decot is THE way for me to go.

Ya know...I've learned so much and been helped on so many topics, and made so many valuable friends over the last couple of years of posting here that my gratitude cannot really be measured in words and is expressable only through action...that is giving it back wherever I can.

Thanks all!

Gratitude is not just a warm feeling. Gratitude is the platter upon which we offer to others that which we have been freely given. (OOOOO...good one huh?)