PDA

View Full Version : Gold Crown Questions

One_L
04-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting on this forum and I'm hoping you can help. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Gold Crown for $1,000. It looks like it is in pretty good shape but the seller told me that one of the pieces of slate has a crack in it that has been filled. He said that he hasn't had any problems with it. Should I be concerned?

Also, how can I tell if this is a Gold Crown I or II? The seller said it is from the 70's and it has the built in ashtrays in the corners.

Thank you!
One L

Popcorn
04-28-2004, 08:12 PM
What is the extent of the cracked slate? Could be a chip or a complete crack. My thinking is, I would be careful. 1, the table is not free, it is a $1000. Second, moving a table can be a big deal, it is not like you can just put it in your pocket. If you are in the market for a table, it will most likely be a long term investment. A good table will give you years of use, don't be in a hurry. Look around for a good table at a fair price. A cracked slate would concern me, I may pass on it. Just my opinion.

Frank_Glenn
04-28-2004, 08:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One_L:</font><hr> Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting on this forum and I'm hoping you can help. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Gold Crown for $1,000. It looks like it is in pretty good shape but the seller told me that one of the pieces of slate has a crack in it that has been filled. He said that he hasn't had any problems with it. Should I be concerned?

Also, how can I tell if this is a Gold Crown I or II? The seller said it is from the 70's and it has the built in ashtrays in the corners.

Thank you!
One L <hr /></blockquote>

The ashtrays were only in the I, I think, and not all of them. I &amp; II have pinned slate, so you will need to replace all 3 pieces if it is bad. I would check on availability &amp; cost of new slate before I went any further. If the crack is not all the way through it may not be so bad, but have a good table mechanic (that isn't involved in the sale) look it over. I have a GC I that is fully restored and it cost about $2800 by the time I was done. I had the work done, if I had done it myself it woulld have been under $2K. YMMV

wolfdancer
04-28-2004, 08:30 PM
A cracked slate, if properly repaired, is no real problem. A good mechanic drills a hole at each end of the crack, cleans the edges, and fills it in, usually with bondo. The ashtrays alone on that table, can be worth up to $100. If everything else is OK...$1k ain't a bad deal....but, whatta I know??

Fred Agnir
04-29-2004, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One_L:</font><hr>

Thank you!
One L <hr /></blockquote>If memory serves, both the GC I and II could have ashtrays. I think the GC I has a full skirt, while the II doesn't. The legs of the GC I were painted. Some GC II's are painted or stained. The reports are that the wood on the GC I wasn't stain-friendly (poplar?).

The rails are bolted on differently. The GC I had ... "plates" in the rails. The GC II had recessed/hidden nuts in the rails.

Fred &lt;~~~ based on a sample of 2 or 3...

Anonamus
04-29-2004, 10:03 AM
The GC1's skirts/aprons are shorter than the others. This is why they have a plastic skirt extension, to cover the black plastic drop pockets. It is true that the wood on the skirts is very stain unfriendly, but that's because they are maple. The wood used on the rails is poplar and then covered with a simulated wood grain formica. The maple can be stained but you need to use gels or other professional products that you are not likely going to find at the local hardware store.

As for the rail bolt plates, I have heard that the plates for the GC1 were left overs from one of the previous models. I don't remember which one, maybe it was the Anniversary. They look like two circles side by side with one of the circles cut in half. I was not aware that the GC2 used a recessed/hidden nut. I thought that the double circle plate was changed to a single circle.

From all the pictures I have seen of GC1's it seems that all of them had painted white legs and leg bridge. The skirts can be white, light blue, tangerine or any color someone decided to paint them after they got all beaten up.

The slates on the 1 &amp; 2's are pinned with 3 metal (not brass) pins. The pinned slate is what people value in these old tables. You can remove the pins and mix and match the slate if you wanted to. BTW, the matched slate pieces have corresponding numbers written on the wood backing, sort of like a serial number.

For some reason I never see any GC2's out there. Unless they are so similiar to the 1's that I can't tell the difference. The 1's have bigger notches in the scoring wheels and look way different than the 3's. Also, the 1's have solid aluminum pocket castings where as the 3's use a stamped metal. If anyone can tell me how the 2's differed from the 1's as far as pocket castings and scoring wheels I would appreciate it.

All in all, the only thing that makes this table worth buying, in my opinion, is the pinned slate and since that is cracked it has no real value. If you just want a cheap 9ft GC to play on it may be worth $500 tops and that's only if the rail tops aren't all beat up. You can probably find a GC3 for $2,500 that would play much better than a 1. The 1's have huge pockets and the slate at the edge of the pocket opening is beveled which makes the pockets play even bigger.

Also, if you are considering buying it check the rubber rails. The rubber may still be good but the glue that holds it on is probably drying out and losing it's hold. You can't really glue the old stuff back on so you would have to replace all the rubber with new. (I did come across a GC1 that someone drove nails into the rubber where it was coming loose and not little nails but big suckers.) Doing it your self could cost you $250. Having a professional do it could cost a lot more.

One_L
04-30-2004, 02:01 AM
Wow, I'm learning a lot! Thanks to everyone who's replied. The seller said that the crack does not go all the way through and that he's never had a problem (of course he is trying to sell the table). I looked at the table once and it looks like he's taken really good care of it. I should have taken a better look underneath the table.

I haven't seen too many GC's for sale at this price and I think I got a little excited that the offer just fell in my lap. Has anyone seen GC's for sale at this price pretty often? Where do you find them? Aren't the ones with the ashtrays kind of rare? I haven't seen too many around but I've been out of the loop for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif