PDA

View Full Version : ESPN

Popcorn
04-29-2004, 08:59 AM
There was a crawl on ESPN saying that certain hours will be their gaming hours. They will be showing poker, billiards and so on. Too bad there isn't anything for them to show. I wonder if Accu-Stats could not provide them with some content, instead of the, same old- same old.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2004, 09:12 AM
I wonder if Pat Fleming has contacted them about using his vast archives.

eg8r
04-29-2004, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if Accu-Stats could not provide them with some content, instead of the, same old- same old. <hr /></blockquote> That would be a treat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Predator314
04-29-2004, 09:39 AM
I wish. I can't take any more trick shots or Corr/Fisher matches.

I'd like to see some of the US Open, Derby City, Valley Forge matches.

bluewolf
04-29-2004, 09:52 AM
For real!!! Ww calls me to the tv whenever there is pool but I got so I do not even watch it anymore as have seen allison et all so many times and seeing trick shots once was enough for me. Just not my bag of tea.

Laura

Popcorn
04-29-2004, 09:57 AM
It could be old it would not matter. No one really cares who wins, you just want to see the play. In this respect pool matches are somewhat timeless and you want to watch even if you know the outcome. To the public, pool is more of an exhibition sport, they just like watching them play. They could call it classic pool and show matches as far back as they can find, people would still love watching.

Barbara
04-29-2004, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I wonder if Accu-Stats could not provide them with some content, instead of the, same old- same old. <hr /></blockquote>

That would be too awesome!! A win-win situation for the whole pool community.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Accu-stats could record even more stuff than they do at the tourneys. Their major expense is probably transport and capital expenditure for equipment. Once everything is set up you almost don't even need cameramen. Just leave the tape rolling and tape as many matches as possible on the tv table.

The supply of matches could become enormous. Instead of 24 hours per year that we have now repeated over and over you could have 100 hours per year in addition to the archives.

Accu-stats has a deal with BCn still I suppose. That may preclude them from selling stuff to ESPN.

Eric.
04-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Popcorn,

My guess is that ESPN will show the older stuff that they already have the rights to. Unfortunately, that may mean more of the Allison/Karen show. On the flip side, I remember about 10 years ago, ESPN had this thing called the Ultimate 9 Ball challenge where both the men and women played side by side. If I remember right, they had some good match-ups like CJ Wiley playing Dan Louie, among others...

Eric

Barbara
04-29-2004, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> On the flip side, I remember about 10 years ago, ESPN had this thing called the Ultimate 9 Ball challenge where both the men and women played side by side. If I remember right, they had some good match-ups like CJ Wiley playing Dan Louie, among others...

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

That two-table format was awful! You would be watching one match and then they'd would switch to the other match. You couldn't follow what was going on at all.

But there were some good match ups.

Barbara

catscradle
04-29-2004, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> That two-table format was awful! ...
Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Eric.
04-29-2004, 12:16 PM
I agree. Flipping between 2 tables and missing half the action everytime you come back sucks.

Still, it would be nice to see some recently forgotten players. I mentioned Dan Louie because everyone talks about Bustamonte's incredible hard break. Dan had every bit the break Busta has, if not better.

Eric &gt;weak break

Hopster
05-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Just in case anyones interested, ESPN did do a second show the following year. Jimmy Caras was in that one and i am almost sure it was at Harrahs also. So maybe we might get to see that one in the future, hopefully.
Also, there were quite a few matches they didnt show from this series, maybe we might see them in the upcoming weeks.

Fats is hysterical, i could listen to him go on and on and not care if he ever took a shot. lol