PDA

View Full Version : Some TV ideas for pool

Popcorn
04-29-2004, 09:48 AM
I have a few idea how pool could be presented on TV. Since I have no idea what I am talking about, I have no idea what it takes to produce a TV show, take them with a grain of salt. One would be, tournaments produced solely for television. They would be done in a studio setting with cameras in place and good production quality much like a game show. There would be a small audience there for atmosphere. You would only need 16 invited players, or players from all over the world who could compete in qualifiers to make the show. Another idea would be to put pool on TV like an informical (sp?) Just buy the air time and show pool while selling related products. Larry Lisscotti did this some years ago in fact, selling instruction tapes during the matches when cable first came out. My favorite idea that will never be done, would be an instruction series. It could be maybe 10 or 20 parts filmed in a studio with a good instructor or several instructors. They would not have to be big name players just good instructors. It could be shown on PBS or cable like the shows you see all the time doing cooking and sewing etc. The best part of this idea is, it is timeless. Once the production is done and paid for, it could be shown indefinitely. It could also be used as a basis on an informical type show selling pool products in between the instruction. Just some ideas

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2004, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ...One would be, tournaments produced solely for television. They would be done in a studio setting with cameras in place and good production quality much like a game show. There would be a small audience there for atmosphere. You would only need 16 invited players, or players from all over the world who could compete in qualifiers to make the show....<hr /></blockquote>

Matchroom sports is doing exactly that quite successfully. Too bad somebody over here doesn't pick up the hint.

catscradle
04-29-2004, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ...One would be, tournaments produced solely for television. They would be done in a studio setting with cameras in place and good production quality much like a game show. There would be a small audience there for atmosphere. You would only need 16 invited players, or players from all over the world who could compete in qualifiers to make the show....<hr /></blockquote>

Matchroom sports is doing exactly that quite successfully. Too bad somebody over here doesn't pick up the hint. <hr /></blockquote>

Isn't that more or less what that Hopkins/ESPN 7-ball thing is. True that don't show all the matches, but the main purpose of it is to produce a TV show.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2004, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>Isn't that more or less what that Hopkins/ESPN 7-ball thing is. True that don't show all the matches, but the main purpose of it is to produce a TV show.
<hr /></blockquote>

Also Challenge of Champions and Trick Shot Magic.

Would be nice to see a "real" tournament produced for tv. The C of C comes close I guess.

Leviathan
04-29-2004, 01:20 PM
'Lo, Popcorn. I don't know how Public Television works nowadays, but local PBS stations used to he obligated to air a certain amount of local programming and used to be glad to talk with anyone who approached them with a sensible proposal for a locally produced series. I once proposed an instructional tennis series to a local PBS tv station, and the station jumped at it. The idea of an instructional pool series has some potential, IMO.

AS

Pelican
04-29-2004, 02:14 PM
How about a ladies match of "pool in the pool". Put one of the all weather table in the shallow end of a swimming pool and have a tournament for the gals where they wear string bikinis. Would be a great draw for us dirty old men, eh popcorn /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
04-29-2004, 02:41 PM
I am ashamed to admit, a local strip club a friend of ours owned had a ladies tournament where they wore bikinis. They were giving away $500. to first place. I wanted my wife to play and she got really mad at me. She would have won easily and at that time she was a 130 LB German beauty with a amazing figure, she still looks good. She still brings it up sometimes when she is mad at me.

DMoney1644
04-29-2004, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I wanted my wife to play and she got really mad at me. <hr /></blockquote>

why can't women just take things like this as a compliment? i know i would! and im all for hot chicks in bikinis pretty much no matter what else is involved.

Pelican
04-29-2004, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DMoney1644:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I wanted my wife to play and she got really mad at me. <hr /></blockquote>
why can't women just take things like this as a compliment?<hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, did you ever explain to her that if you wasn't proud of her for being attractive you would not have wanted her to enter?

It's kinda like guy's that get upset if they see some other guy admiring their wife. Hell, my wife is 50 and looks damn good. I take it as a compliment to her that someone kinda ogles her and it makes me proud to be married to someone that other guys want. I mean, damn, who would want to be married to someone that no one else wanted. NOT ME! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif