PDA

View Full Version : Need information on covering a table with new flet

banker
04-29-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm new to this board, but I would like to know where on the web I could get instructions on how to put my own felt on my old table? I guess I would like step by step instructios to do it myself. Rog

Chris Cass
04-29-2004, 10:43 PM
http://www.bestbilliard.com/resources/buildtable/cloth.cfm

pooltchr
04-30-2004, 05:55 AM
Banker,
Just a note of caution. You can stir up a lot of purists by calling it "felt". The preferred term is "cloth"
By the way, Welcome to the board!
Steve

mworkman
04-30-2004, 07:37 AM
I really don't think you need a book. All tables are going to be different. Just make sure you stretch it as much as possible. I don't think you can get it too tight if you are just pulling by hand. The bed is a snap. The time consuming part is the rails. What kind of a table are you going to do? 3 piece slate?

banker
04-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Yes, it is 3 piece slate. Rog

banker
04-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Thank you, that is just what I'm looking for. Rog

Chris Cass
04-30-2004, 09:51 AM
No Problem Rog,

There is one other thing I can tell you to do a good job. There's this glue stuff that Berry Behman(sp?) uses to set up the US Open tables with that will be a very good idea to use instead of bondo or bees wax. His son Brady posts here and many know this too. I however don't but think it's well worth looking into so the slates don't pop up when the table settles.

Oh, one other thing. You have to pay close attention to the cloth when stretching it. You need to make sure that the cloth doesn't have much of a wavey appearance. This might effect the roll of the balls if stretched unevenly. I feel this is critical but I'm not a table man.

Regards,

C.C.~~will go the extra mile when it's appreciated.

Ken
04-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Chris,

The Liquid Dowels is used to keep the slates together. You still need bondo or beeswax to put on the surface.

I would stay away from beeswax since I have seen a twice botched job where beeswax was used. The seams are higher than the rest of the slate and the balls can roll up to a seam and turn around and roll the other way.

One of the opinions I have heard about this job is that the glue to hold the slates together was not used.

I was told that gluing the slates together can be done by putting pieces of absorbent card stock about the size of a business card at three locations between the slates. Then super glue is put on the edge of the cards and gets absorbed to glue the slates together.

I don't know if this is the same technique that is used with Liquid Dowels.
Ken in CT

Chris Cass
04-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi Ken,

Good hearing from you again. Your absolutly right. I knew I'd mess it up so that's why I stated that. LOL What you said is what I heard. JimS did his new Diamond Pro with that stuff and he said it worked great. I know it did too because I've played on that puppy. Great table. Hope all is well with you.

Thanks,

C.C.~~going to have to right that down. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mworkman
04-30-2004, 12:47 PM
A couple things that might help. When you get the frame together level it at that time and there wont be as much adjusting when you get the slate on. Also, measure the side pockets and if they are bigger then you like double shim the whole thing. I made the mistake of putting it all together and then realizing the pockets were too big and then spending another 4 hours adding the extra shim which was tough because I had allready cut the excess cloth from the rails (not much to grab on to to help stretch).
Some dont like bees wax, but I used it because it was soo simple. I used an old iron and then used a scraper and scraped off all the excess. Beeswax should only be in the groove then and I haven't noticed any roll-off. Good luck.