PDA

View Full Version : Good table for upscale pool hall? (15+ tables)

mattdez
04-30-2004, 07:27 AM
I live in a small city that has about 150,000 people within a 20 mile radius, but the only place for a game of pool is in a loud bar with small coin-op tables. My business partner and I decided we want to open a billiard club in the city to make up for the lack a good place to play. It'll be an upscale billiard/bar/restaurant type deal. We were thinking of going with a retro type look (i.e. black/silver tables) with furniture to match.
What would be a good table to buy that is a regulation table (for holding local tournaments) but will also be economical for a purchase of 15+ tables? Also, are there any good online retailers for other supplies such as cues, balls, accessories, etc.?
Thanks for the advice,
Matt

sigep1967
04-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Call Chad at Diamond Billiards he should cut you a deal on that many tables and you can't go wrong with their tables.

Nightstalker
04-30-2004, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sigep1967:</font><hr> Call Chad at Diamond Billiards he should cut you a deal on that many tables and you can't go wrong with their tables. <hr /></blockquote>
From what I have read about those who own or played on their tables they are great playing tables and do not cost a fortune *cough* Brunswick GC *cough*.

Barbara
04-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Matt,

There are several posters on this board that know a thing or two about opening up a room, hopefully they'll post some input here. There's a lot more to a room than tables, but I'll just address your question.

You want a table that will hold up to the "bangers" you're probably going to get. The one PH I used to go to has about 40 tables - 20 very nice double-shimmed Black Gold Crowns for the "players", and twenty other less quality tables for the "bangers".

Sure, Diamonds are a great table to get, but they're surfaces are wood and will scratch and get banged up. Brunswick GCs have a laminate surface that can hold up better.

It really depends on the type of customer you're trying to attract.

Barbara

<font color="blue">"Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else."</font color>

JohnBarton
04-30-2004, 09:27 AM
I beg to differ on whether the Laminate will hold up better than the Dymondwood used on the Diamond tables. One of the features of the Diamond rails is that you can bounce balls off of them with no effect. I mean literally going up and down the rails bouncing the cueball along the rail and you can't even feel a ding. Do this to a Gold Crown and you will have a nicely pebbled texture along the rail.

As for nice commercial tables I would also like to submit the Olhausen Pro. It is a good table that holds up well and looks nice. Not as nice as the Diamonds and the Gold Crowns though.

Do NOT go with some kind of furniture table. Yes, they look pretty but they do not hold up well and do not "play" right for the discerning player.

my 2cts.

John
www.cuecaserepair.com (http://www.cuecaserepair.com)

Wally_in_Cincy
04-30-2004, 09:59 AM
The place I go has Robertsons tables. They look similar to a GC and they play great.

Robertsons is in Tampa. Sorry I don't think they have a website.

Ken
04-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Robertson's has a web site but I can't find anything on it about their tables:

http://www.robertsonbilliards.com/about/

Planet Nine Ball on Hillsborough Av. in Tampa has a lot of their tables as well as a Diamond Smart Table and some Valleys. They do look and play a lot like the GCIII.

You might get a better deal from Diamond and those are the tables that will be used at a lot of tournaments.
Ken in CT

Pizza Bob
04-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Guess I may as well add my $.02 worth. Consider Gabriel tables. They are just getting established in this country (made in Belgium), but the table mechanics that I've spoken to tell me this table is the nutz. I think Chris in NC has Gabriels in his room, after Diamonds, so he could give you an informed opinion about both. If he doesn't see this thread, I'd PM him.

Adios,

Pizza Bob