PDA

View Full Version : Rails making an odd noise.

Chopstick
04-30-2004, 09:49 AM
I have an older model Diamond PBA table. It was in storage for a few years. There a couple spots on my rails where it make an odd sound when a ball hits it. Also, the ball hops a little bit coming off the rail even though the ball is not moving fast enough to make it jump up off a normal rail. Anyone have any idea what causes this? They do not appear to be lose. Does the rail rubber go bad or something?

Chris Cass
04-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi ya Chopstick,

This could be a loose rubber but I'm thinking that just maybe the rail has a warp in it. It also could be a rail height thing. Someone with more knowledge here can help you more. I just wanted to make sure to addess you. It's not a good feeling when noone replies to a cry for help. I often do. LOL

BTW, I like your name. I really like the name Porkchop but Chopstick is cool too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~wants a dog named Porkchop... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ras314
04-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Try contacting www.diamondbilliard.com (http://www.diamondbilliard.com) I understand the cushions have been changed over the years.

I have a new Diamond Pro and one of the first things I noticed was a ball would not hop off a rail no matter how hard it was hit. The nose of the cushions are a bit higher than most tables which I think makes the difference.

Seems to me there is more noise than normal wherever the rails are hit, maybe because I don't have the usuall pool hall racket going on.

Troy
04-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Quite possibly you have a "dead rail". Using a ball, tap along the rails. There should be a soft "cushion" sound. If it's a "thud", there's the dead area.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I have an older model Diamond PBA table. It was in storage for a few years. There a couple spots on my rails where it make an odd sound when a ball hits it. Also, the ball hops a little bit coming off the rail even though the ball is not moving fast enough to make it jump up off a normal rail. Anyone have any idea what causes this? They do not appear to be lose. Does the rail rubber go bad or something? <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
04-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Chopstick,

I know you re-covered this table yourself. Is it possible that you pulled the rail cloth a little tighter in spots, and maybe lowered or raised the point of contact of the object ball with the cushion nose in a few spots? I believe slightly above center is normal but can't quantify it.

If the nose of the cushion were too low a rolling cueball might climb it and hop on the way back out. If the nose were too high it might try to trap the ball, perhaps even deaden the rebound. You might carefully measure the height of the nose above the playing surface in the "odd" spots, and compare that with the rest of the rail.

Of course, it could just be that the rubber has come "un-stuck" from the wood at a few points, but I'm assuming you have already checked for that.

SpiderMan