PDA

View Full Version : Wrap Question

crawdaddio
04-30-2004, 11:34 AM
The wrap on one of my cues is becoming a little rough. It's really starting to annoy me. It's actually quite new, so I don't understand....it feels almost gritty after I play for awhile. It's like the linen didn't get pressed right~or something. I don't really know how they do that stuff though. Any advice on how to make it smooth and silky again? Can I use my Q smooth papers? Wax? I've tried wiping it with a dry towel and it doesn't seem to help.
Thanks,
David

Chris Cass
04-30-2004, 11:51 AM
I hate to recommend this but get some 800 grit and then use some 1000 grit, then some 1500, and 2000 grit. This should smooth it out for you. What it is, is that the linen is absorbing your sweat and it's fraying up. Some of the new linen is plastic coated and yes a lathe would work good in pressing this stuff. Some spin it then sand and use some spray starch then press it for that shiney look and soft feel. For the $25. I'd have a new one put on.

Regards,

C.C.

crawdaddio
04-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I'd really like to have a new one put on, but first of all it's near brand new. Secondly, I don't have ANYONE nearby here that can do a quality job, and I hate shipping my cues out! There's gotta be a way to smooth it up. Thanks for the advice.
David

Predator314
04-30-2004, 11:57 AM
What kind of cue is it? I would think the manufacturer would warrant it if it's a nearly new cue.

crawdaddio
04-30-2004, 11:58 AM
It's a ZYLR bought second hand, but BARELY used....like a couple of racks at most.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-30-2004, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> It's a ZYLR bought second hand, but BARELY used....like a couple of racks at most. <hr /></blockquote>

cueless joey aka joseph cues works for that guy

crawdaddio
04-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I talked to Joey...he said he'll try to talk to Z for me................
Thanks though....I do appreciate the help /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
04-30-2004, 12:55 PM
I see your point David. Yes, I'd try to do something myself then. Maybe Joey can hook you up. It shouldn't be but a walk in the park for a cuemaker and it's tough about the shipping costs. I might try to do something on my own too.

Regards,

C.C.

tateuts
04-30-2004, 01:21 PM
It needs to be cleaned and re-pressed. They'll seal it up. You know, Scott at Proficient can turn that around in a few days or re-wrap it for you if Zyler is too busy. Scott does a great job on wraps.

By the way, that's exactly why I've switched over to leather. Now I wouldn't consider playing with linen. Plus leather gives you a little stickier grip I think.

Otherwise, how do you like the cue?

Chris

crawdaddio
04-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Otherwise, how do you like the cue?

Chris
<hr /></blockquote>

Besides the minor wrap issue, so far (only a few hours of play) I'd have to say this is by far the best hitting cue I've ever played with. Now, mind you, I have not played with a lot of high end cues. The others are: scruggs, nitti, schon, viking, players, mike durbin (local)and a bunch of other so-so prod. cues. The first thing I noticed is the EXCELLENT balance of this cue....I can't compare it. We all know that "hit" and "feel" are subjective so what can I say...er..it feels like I'm not even using a cue. Very solid, yet soft and responsive (?) on soft touch shots. Smooth and stiff with very little deflection when I really let the stroke out. I really love this cue and I consider it a good investment in cash and time. I would recommend Z to anyone.
Side note: I wanted to order one from Kerry awhile ago, but didn't want to wait two years, so my advice if your interested: if you see one, snatch it up!
Thanks,
David

tateuts
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
That's the way it should play. It does what you ask of it. Sounds great.

Chris

Jimmy B
04-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Use wax paper and burnish it very fast. It's the belief of many that the wax will cause chalk dust to stick in the wrap but I haven't found that to be an issue. I guess if white is a major color in the wrap you may have a bigger problem, but my cue has blk with wht spec and the wax never hurt it.
The best way to do is pay for a pro to do it, go to a large tournament they are normally there doing repairs.
JB