PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Gold Crown III's

Eric.
04-30-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm sure this has been discused before, I'm too lazy to look.

I've heard good and bad. I've heard that the slates can pop because they're not pinned. I've also heard that if it is set up properly, the slates almost never pop.

What's your opinion and why? The bottom line is - Would you buy one?

Eric

cycopath
04-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Actually I did the thread searches and the google searches, to no avail. So I'm interested in knowing also.

table_tech
09-24-2004, 05:54 PM
i'd buy any of the gold crowns,90%of the tables made today dont have dowel pins installed.there are a few ways that the slate can pop.usually its because the slate was shimmed excessivly between the slate and base frame,or it wasnt screwed tight enuff to the base frame or a non flexible seam filler was used and someone tried to move the table or a combination of all plus a few others i left out.

Bob_Jewett
09-24-2004, 06:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I'm sure this has been discused before, I'm too lazy to look. ... <hr /></blockquote>
This was discussed within the last week in a comparison with Olhausens. If I had to buy a new table today, I would get a Diamond.

But are you saying that the slates on a GC III aren't dowelled? If that's true, I'm flabbergasted.

SnakebyteXX
09-24-2004, 07:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
But are you saying that the slates on a GC III aren't dowelled? If that's true, I'm flabbergasted. <hr /></blockquote>

It may be useful to know that ALL GC III's were not made exactly the same. Apparently, some of the earliest GC III models were made in the US while the later models were made off shore. According to my understanding the earliest US made GC III's had dowelled slates but many of the later foreign built models may not.

The known problems with popping seams on the GC III are common to the tables with the undowelled slates. While a minority of GC III owners have suffered these aggravations enough have for it to have become an issue. To say the least, GC III's are not highly thought of by those who love Gold Crowns.

In addition the GC III's produced off shore used what many believe to be a lower quality slate (Brazilian) as opposed to the high grade and more expensive Italian slate used in the earlier tables. I've read several complaints from GC III owners who experienced problems with these slates.

When it comes to Gold Crown's the general rule of thumb is 'older is better'. The GC I's and II's were made in the US and built like tanks. It is not uncommon to find these old tables still being actively used on a daily basis in pool halls across the US even after all these years.

Snake -- owned a GC II and loved it

table_tech
09-24-2004, 07:25 PM
it may be offered as an option but i have done a few gold crown III's and IV'S that did not have dowels installed.i didn't see them on any of the 9 footer brunswick tables or 8 ft pro tables i did last year.

Rod
09-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Eric,

A place down the road (Clicks) has about 9 of them and they played very well with no slate problems. I've played on most of them. They decided to go with a cheaper bid from another table mechanic. The original guy did mine and theirs. When they went to another guy every table popped at least one slate. Some were horrible. They went with someone else and don't have any problems once again.

I doubt those slates were pinned but the original guy that did mine and Clicks used bees wax. Brady B or someone here knows the guy that sells that white glue type compound. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem using it. Bottom line though it takes some one who knows what their doing.

The slates are just one issue and shouldn't be a problem. However there are some things that bug me about those tables. The counters are in the way. The pockets are of a gum rubber of sort and they gum up you shaft. In certain areas, especially the side pockets have square rather pointed edges that will nick a shaft in a heart beat. There is more but those are the worst problems. The others are minor IMO. OH let me add I think the original rails are to slow. That is something to consider before a purchase. Changing the rails can get expensive.

Rod

Rich R.
09-25-2004, 03:47 AM
Eric, contact Brady Behrman. I remember a thread, in which Brady recommended a product to be used between the slates. It prevented the slates from popping.

I would seach for the thread, but "I'm too lazy to look". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
09-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Weren't they selling something called "liquid dowell" or some such at Q-Masters?

Rich R.
09-25-2004, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Weren't they selling something called "liquid dowell" or some such at Q-Masters? <hr /></blockquote>
That may be the product, but I don't really remember the name.