PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Like To See In Your Local P. Hall?

TomBrooklyn
04-30-2002, 03:38 PM
What would you like to see added or changed in your local pool hall?

I would like them to add one bumper pool table and one L-Shaped Table. Heck, they have room for ping-pong tables! Bumper pool and an L-Shaped table would be great fun to fool around on now and then. Nobody is going to buy an L-shaped table for their home, but it would get a lot of use in a pool hall as a novelty item, occassionally from the serious players for a goof, and lots of times from the recreational players, especially guys coming in with their girlfriends who hardly know how to hold a stick anyway. It would be like the mini-golf course of a pool hall.

Also, I'd like to see then change the plastic no-smoking signs they bought in the local hardware store to something with a little more class. A smaller standard hard plastic engraved sign costs about $7.00. Those throw-away signs are cheesy. Come on!

stickman
04-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Longer hours, to be open during the day. Currently they are only open at night, except they open at noon on Sat.

rackmup
04-30-2002, 06:24 PM
You opened a can of worms with this one pal:

<ul type="square"> More space between the tables.
Bridges with good, multi-position bridge heads.
Clean balls (without chips and gouges.)
Comfortable chairs (stools) with cushions, drink holders, foot rests and the little notch for your cue to rest in (what the hell...if I'm going to spend the better part of my match here, I might as well be comfortable.)
Better lighting over the tables.
More George Thorogood, Don Henley and Phil Collins in the juke box.
Higher quality wooden racks.
Cue holders or notches in the rails by the "money tables."
Lockers.
Promotions like "Free with all table time, a 20 oz. corn-fed Porterhouse steak, grilled and marinated in fresh butter, served with your choice of soup or dinner salad and any two of the following three side dishes: baked potato with butter, chives, fresh bacon bits, cheese and sour cream, fresh steamed vegetables or garlic mashed potatoes. Fresh baked bread included."
A $3.00 flat rate for all pool played between the hours of 7AM - 7PM.
[/list]

You asked.

Regards,

Ken (dessert with that steak would be nice too...maybe chocolate cheese cake)

Doctor_D
04-30-2002, 06:27 PM
Good evening:

I would like to have a Snooker table available for practice.

Dr. D.

shojingod
04-30-2002, 06:42 PM
1. Cleaner air.

2. Better tables and cloth.

That's it.

04-30-2002, 06:44 PM
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
04-30-2002, 07:18 PM
I'm not choosey, and I don't need any frills, well there are a couple. All I really want is round balls, fast cloth, and fast rails. The women are already fast enough!

cheesemouse
04-30-2002, 07:25 PM
I'd be happy with A POOL HALL, PERIOD I'd start bitching after they were open a couple of weeks. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif HeHe......

04-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Not including Corner Billiards, because they have this under control, but I'd like to see a few places I frequent boot out the troublemakers and loud-mouths. Those guys mainly take up space anyway and don't spend any money there. All they ever do is yell, carry-on and argue and make life miserable for the rest of us.

Fran

Rod
04-30-2002, 07:41 PM
I forgot that one Dr. D, so would I. Not just for practice though, to play someone. I really like golf on the 12 footers, but it's a long drive for me to play on one.

bigalerickson
04-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Seating, in my opinion is a huge issue. i know of ten pool halls in my area, and one has good seating. Unfortuneatly that place has slow felt, bad music, mediocre sandwiches, and charges a grip for table time.

In my opinion the most fun place to play is Q's Billiards, they have everything that a player could desire, except one incidental cheap slowwwww felt.

Just a few thoughts.

Barbara
04-30-2002, 08:13 PM
1. Better air management - bigger HVACs and smoke eaters to clean the air.

2. More room between the tables.

3. Seating for each table area that doesn't infringe on the next area.

4. Basically Comet Billiards copied around and simply varied.

Barbara~~~Comet is a very nice pool hall in Parsippany, NJ and was featured in the 10 best rooms in 2001 by BD

PoolFool
04-30-2002, 09:29 PM
I would like to see a challange table in pool halls like the do in bars. If they had one tabll where you could pay $1.00 to play a game and then keep the table against all who wanted to challange for as long as you keep winning.
That's why I play in bars so much. I like a variety of opponents. Anytime I go into my favorite bar and put up a quarter there is always 5-6 people who try to take the table. When I go to a pool hall, I end up shooting the same person over and over. To me its boring.

PoolFool

Ralph S.
04-30-2002, 11:05 PM
My list would look something like this:
1&gt; in agreement with Fran- kick the hoods out
2&gt; better music selection- preferably more 80's hard rock
3&gt; some quality 9'ers- not many in my area to begin with
4&gt; open later hours- 24 hours would be great
5&gt; more consideration from customers when using the can
seems like they feel the need to trash it.
6&gt; would like to have some fellow CCB'ers to play against
and hang out with.

Ralph S.

Nostroke
04-30-2002, 11:13 PM
1.Less smoke
2.More player tables with room
3.Speakers that can be turned off individually
4.a Juke box free of horribly offensive rap songs
5.Places for coats other than chairs
6.Good lighting over the tables
7.Parking
8.Air conditioning when required.
9.Hot water in the Br's

But anyway it doesnt matter what serious players want, pool rooms today make their money off the ball bangers who pretty much want the opposite of us

Vagabond
05-01-2002, 12:00 AM
Hello Mates,

All the guys that stand between the tables when they were not shooting and not acknowledging the exhistence of others,should be ?imprisoned.LOL.By the way this is mainly a man`s trait and I have seen this behavior with all levels of players( pro s, A players,C and B players.Very uncommon among women players.

Vagabond

05-01-2002, 01:30 AM
Where I live every Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday They have a flat rate of $5 from Noon until 7 PM. Every Sunday is $5 from noon till midnight. We also have all of the accesories you long for except the free steak. I get 25% off because I am a member.

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 04:33 AM
Good morning:

Players, specifically men, who would not bother me and offer unsolicited advice, coaching or lessons when I am practicing and/or doing my drills.

Dr. D.

Kato
05-01-2002, 06:11 AM
I would like Jeneatte Lee to come hang out with me. If I can't have that I'd like any nice looking, pool playing women to come hang out with me (preferrably lots of them). On top of that I wish there was more action for me to watch. Less Rage Against The Machine, better food, less kids, more women, Fran Crimi giving free lessons (ah shucks I'd pay), Voodoo and Chris Cass dropping in every once and a while, and Vagabond, Howie Pearl, and #### to drop by to tell stories.

Kato~~~doesn't want much

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 06:14 AM
Good morning Kato:

You are welcome to hang with me at Amsterdam West whenever you would like.

Dr. D.

Kato
05-01-2002, 06:22 AM
Well gosh Doc, once I get over blushing I'll start figuring out a few excuses to get me in New York. Really I'd love to, just got to get up to your neck of the woods. I don't think I could handle your game though. You are WWWAAAAYYYY to organized for me. I guess the New York Times has a pretty good crossword puzzle.

4 letter word for a guy sitting in a chair while Dr D snaps off another rack~~~~~KATO

05-01-2002, 07:44 AM
Towels in the men's room!

MikeM
05-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Less smoke
Better cloth
New (or at least clean) balls
Tournaments - the owner got fed up with all the gambling and associated headaches and stopped holding tourneys.

MM

Bob_in_Cincy
05-01-2002, 10:34 AM

Bob_in_Cincy
05-01-2002, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Hello Mates,

By the way this is mainly a man`s trait and I have seen this behavior with all levels of players( pro s, A players,C and B players.Very uncommon among women players.

Vagabond

<hr></blockquote>

Interesting observation, but this does not appear to be the case where I play most often. There, lack of consideration for other players seems to know no gender, at least at times.

Rod
05-01-2002, 04:39 PM
I agree mate, Yes there are books about prisons where those people should be sent!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-01-2002, 06:28 PM
I would like to see;
more pool videos offered for viewing.
more women leagues and tournaments
more discounts for regulars (good regulars)
more appreciation for the owners doing the improvements
more well mannered players
more players that know the rules
more pool halls that do the above items

Voodoo Daddy
05-01-2002, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see more people taking interest in the game. Less METALLICA...more Stevie Ray Vaughn {that was a dig at Kato folks}. I'd love to have a Lazy Boy at every table...a remote for the TV and my own private server {like that will ever happen} but in real life I would hope to see less pierced parts, Clove smokers and young people playing that dont use the words "Yo Dog" and more who give pool a chance.

Voodoo...jamming to Weather Report

Vagabond
05-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Hey Tom,
Then I have to watch out the Cinci women!
cheers
Vagabond

CarolNYC
05-02-2002, 03:17 AM
Hey Tom,
I would like to see free practice time for league (just 1/2 hour)players,especially players who are representing a certain pool hall!
Carol

Doctor_D
05-02-2002, 04:32 AM
Good morning:

Not to mention a little appreciation for bringing NEW business and customers to the room!

Dr. D.

CarolNYC
05-02-2002, 04:40 AM
Good morning Dr. D,
I do not expect courtesy from any pool hall, but when you are representing them as a team and then they charge you 4.00 just for playing a half hour, I think they should be "put in bathroom!"ha ha ha
Have a great day!
Carol

MaineEAck
05-02-2002, 05:24 AM
Everyone keeps saying more 80's music ect. Well, on Friday and Saturday nights, that is how my local room says in business. Every table is filled with people 21 and under, and they all listen to he new age music, like hip hop and rap. You can add any music you want just don't take away that stuff! When I went to Country Club USA I thought they had a very nice room and I was impressed with the seating and the cue holder! Then again there are only 2 pool halls within 45 mins from me.

Kato
05-02-2002, 06:22 AM
I believe I was just cheap shotted!!!!!!! By a man whose behind I cannot kick!!!!!!! However, with respect I'll disagree. There shouldn't be less Metallica, Metallica should be manditory. Plus, forcing Voodoo to listen to Metallica puts me on semi-even footing. Stevie Ray though should be on every juke box and the kids who say Yo Dog should be thrown in the pit and forced to listen to Sinatra until closing.

What Voodoo refuses to tell y'all is that he pretty much has his own waitress, changes the T.V. whenever he feels like it and wanders around mumbling Yo Dog, Yo Dog, Yo Dog, bank the rock, control the pill.............

Kato~~~worries about Voodoo

Doctor_D
05-02-2002, 06:30 AM
Good morning:

Personally, a little Vivaldi or Bach would be nice ...

Dr. D.

05-02-2002, 07:43 AM

Doctor_D
05-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Good morning:

Sounds great. However, giving up Manhattan would be too difficult for me. I love this city !!!

Dr. D.

Kato
05-02-2002, 09:49 AM
Where is here Whitewolf? I would have a tough time leaving the place I love (Ft. Lauderdale). Love that single women idea but..................

Kato

05-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Well Kato, if you moved up here, you could listen to KRock, which features an hour of Mandatory Metallica every night at 10pm. No, I'm not kidding. Oh, and the women are nice too.

05-02-2002, 02:14 PM
I agree with PoolFool. If you go to a bar, you're likely to get bar hacks and maybe the scattered experienced player. In fact, just because the bar has a pool table doesn't guarentee you a game at all. It would be great to walk into a pool hall and find a challenge table.

Kato
05-02-2002, 02:14 PM
Lorri, where are you? Pretty tough to beat the ladies down here though. We've got beach weather all year round except for that 1 week of winter we have every year (which Northerners tells me isn't really winter). Oh yeah, from West Palm Beach to Miami the pool is pretty darn solid.

Kato~~~very little fish in a vast ocean

Also, ZETA plays a 3 pack of Metallica every night at 7 I have every one of their CD's so I don't need to hear it on la radio

05-02-2002, 02:18 PM
You want Jeanette Lee to come hang out with you? You've obviously never met her...

Chris Cass
05-02-2002, 05:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> I guess the New York Times has a pretty good crossword puzzle.

4 letter word for a guy sitting in a chair while Dr D snaps off another rack~~~~~KATO <hr></blockquote>

Lump?
HAHAHAHAHA,
C.C.~~no way your getting my doe......LMAO

05-02-2002, 06:16 PM
I was in 3 pool halls and I played pool twice in the last week. One is in Chicago and two were in the subburbs. None of them have any hot water in the mens bathrooms. Just cold. Is this to save on money for the hot water.? A couple times the water was running when I went in.

Kato
05-03-2002, 07:36 AM
Actually in a way you're right. I met her in at a convention a few years back. I payed 5 bucks for her to break and run me. She gave me an autographed picture and was very sweet. She did turn down my offer to play a set though for the masses, and she didn't search me out after the convention to take up my offer, oh well.

I don't judge people by what others say about them I judge them by the way they treat me. I've got enough quirks that if I prejudged by the way somebody looks or acts I wouldn't have too many friends. I like to dislike people on their own merits.

Kato~~~~judge, jury, and hangman

Kato
05-03-2002, 07:42 AM
I own your dough. You're just scared to get in the car to come play me. I'd come to you but there is always a chance it will be cold. I hate cold.

Kato~~~lump.LOL

#### leonard
05-03-2002, 07:56 AM
I think they use JSBach to teach children in Bulgaria with. It is a method they call sofrology if my memory serves me. It is the 2-4-2 beat that makes learning a breeze.####

Rich R.
05-03-2002, 07:58 AM
However brief, I have met her and I have been near her while she was playing in tournaments. I found Jeanette to be a delightful lady with a good sense of humor.
Of course, I have also seen her be very cold to idiots that stop her for autographs when she is on her way to a table to play a match, or during the match itself. I believe that is understandable.
After the match is over, win or lose, she has been more than gracious.
Rich R.

=k=
05-03-2002, 09:32 AM
1. no smoking or at least ban cigars!!
2. differnt tables, at least level
3. matched balls..
4. a waitress that comes around at least every half hour..

05-03-2002, 10:07 AM
I would like to see Playboy Bunnies, the Dallas cowgirls, The Oakland Raiderettes, but it ain't gonna happen. Now what I did see a couple of weeks ago at the local poolroom, was a photo shoot, featuring Esther Wang; www.esther.com/ (http://www.esther.com/) That gave me the idea that maybe Bikini billiards might be the shot-in-the-arm that pool needs. Esther has "the right stuff", BUT I know the type. Tell her to get on down to the 7/11, and pick you up a 6 pack of Coors, and your going to get ATTITUDE. And when you're watching sports on TV, she'll try to tell you about HER day; like who cares? Esther wants $10 a month for the "really hot " stuff, but stuff that; that pays for 2 more hours of pool.

Cuemage
05-03-2002, 05:39 PM
Two things Tom
1. A non-smoking room
2. A private room (for instruction purposes)

Tha Cuemage

JimS
05-03-2002, 06:00 PM
You forgot the juke box that has Weather Report!...and Miles, and Parker, and Ellington, and............

05-07-2002, 02:21 PM
How about for-funsies players that actually respect the space of the for-real players? There are only so many times some inexperienced idiot can bump me or my cue when I'm down on a shot before I start getting ticked. Slamming the cue ball just to see how far it will fly off the table is also a pet peeve.

RedH &lt;~~~~~ Dreams of the day when all pool hall tables are level, felt is never worn, and I don't have to worry about getting knocked in the kidneys by careless players

05-07-2002, 03:36 PM
I've met Jeneatte a few times, as we have a number of friends and aquantances in common. I met her via a friend of mine introducing me to her. I don't fall into the category of "idiots that stop her for autographs when she is on her way to a table to play a match..."