PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Clean Magic Eraser® Revisited

Troy
04-30-2004, 03:39 PM
After reading all this info, I bought a package of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser® ($5.00 for four pads) to try for my own satisfaction. I had a few house cues sitting right here just waiting... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First, there is "ATTENTION : Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on finishes that are brushed, satin or dark".
There's also the standard warning to "keep away from children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion."

OK, on to the house cues.
I wet the pad and squeezed out as much water as I could.
The cue came fairly clean with some rubbing.
I wet it again and squeezed out less water. No significant change.
Both times I needed to dry the cue with a separate cloth.

Since I had the cues, I now tried my mixture of Simple Green® diluted with 2 parts water in a spray bottle and a cloth. (I've been using this method for a few years.) Yes Martha, I dried the cues immediately after cleaning them... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, the diluted Simple Green® worked at least as well as the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser®. Simple Green cost me about $7.00 for a Gallon jug and I dilute it (already said that... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Both products caused the grain to raise slightly due to the water, but I quickly rub the cues dry either way. There has never been any long-term negative effects of using the Simple Green and I would expect none from the Magic Eraser either.

The bottom line is that I think I'll stay with the diluted Simple Green® in the spray bottle. I'm a habit oriented creature. Also, I think it costs less for equal performance.

Troy

Barbara
04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Troy,

Thanks for input about Simple Green. I used to have that stuff around here. I'll have to get some more.

I'll be taking a Magic Eraser with me to my Cueman to see what he thinks. Yeah, I used it on my shafts and had to burnish them back to smooth, but they got really clean. We'll see. Mr. Cueman doesn't publicly endorse products but will tell his customers what's good or bad out there.

Barbara

Troy
04-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Barbara, I would be very interested in your cue guy's feedback.

Thanks,
Troy

Barbara
05-01-2004, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> cue guy's <hr /></blockquote>

Troy,

Repeat after me.

CueMAN. CueMAN. CueMAN.

There. That's better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

Chris Cass
05-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi Barbara,

After using the eraser and burnishing. Did you hold the shaft up to the light and see that the oils were missing? I took the advice too and used them on an old shaft and yes. It was really cleaned well. Took yrs of chaulk out but afterwards, I could see the oils had been gone too.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
05-01-2004, 10:20 AM
OK !! OK !! OK !! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd still like to get your CueMAN's feedback.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> cue guy's <hr /></blockquote>

Troy,

Repeat after me.

CueMAN. CueMAN. CueMAN.

There. That's better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
05-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Is having the oils "missing" really a bad thing Chris ???
I guess it would depend on what "oils" you mean -- the natural oil or the hand oil that makes the patina.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Barbara,

After using the eraser and burnishing. Did you hold the shaft up to the light and see that the oils were missing? I took the advice too and used them on an old shaft and yes. It was really cleaned well. Took yrs of chaulk out but afterwards, I could see the oils had been gone too.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I used the Mr. Clean sponge this morning with Simple Green. Other than I don't like the smell, it worked OK. I still had to burnish the shaft, though.

Barbara
05-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Hey Chris!

I just looked at my shafts and they look fine to me. They're smooth as ever and the burnisher I use - Cue Wiz - makes them shiny. You have to understand that I clean off my shafts after every time I use them with a paper towel and water so I doubt I had a huge buildup of hand oil on them anyway.

Other than that, they feel fine.

Barbara

Chris Cass
05-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi Troy,

I don't know Troy. It just looks like it's thirsty. LOL You can see the grain and it really looks like there's spots. You'd have to hold it up to the light and get the light to shine down the shaft at you. That's even if you burnish. Good or bad I'm not sure? I think maybe bad???

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
05-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Mmmm, can't tell Chris. The house cues I'm experimenting with are pretty bad off to start.
Maybe I'll take my Jim Buss and ..... NOT... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Troy,

I don't know Troy. It just looks like it's thirsty. LOL You can see the grain and it really looks like there's spots. You'd have to hold it up to the light and get the light to shine down the shaft at you. That's even if you burnish. Good or bad I'm not sure? I think maybe bad???

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
05-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Troy,

No doubt this does a good job. I'm really picky though. I like the oils built up in the shaft. I also don't like any sticky feeling either. I deep clean my shafts about twice a yr. It really bothers me if my shaft is too clean. It distracts me mostly in my vision. My ferrules stand out more when the shaft isn't so bright.

I don't like it either when the first 4" from the tip back is dirtier than the rest from chaulk residue from my hand. Just thet 4"s from the tip. It drove me crazy for 20 yrs till I found out it was my chaulking hand. It was table dirt. It appears dark like a black color. Forever wondering where it was coming from. LOL

My shafts aren't dirty but they're like a mello brown. You can see they shine tons without burnishing them. Kind of like the old leather bridges.

Anyway, I don't like opening up the grain of the wood if at all possible but I know one must atleast, do twice a yr. if you play as much as I used to.

Regards,

C.C.~~the eraser took the shine off my mica counter top.

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It really bothers me if my shaft is too clean. It distracts me mostly in my vision. My ferrules stand out more when the shaft isn't so bright.

<hr /></blockquote>

So the curly maple shaft I usually shoot with would drive you nuts, yes? I clean it pretty often for obvious reasons.

Chris Cass
05-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Yes Frank it pobably would. LOL Well, don't get me wrong. My shafts are clean but their not bright. I think it's mainly has to do with my vision. Most of the time I don't notice it. It's usually the times when I just get done cleaning it, is when it appears to be catching my eye. Then, I wonder where my focus went to. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~only if he lets me shoot with it would it bother me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
05-03-2004, 03:58 PM
I used this cleaner on my shafts two weeks ago and then burnished them with Steve Mizerak's Cue Wiz. Today I went to see my Cueman for new tips. I brought an eraser with me for him.

So after the tips get put on, he usually cleans and seals my shafts. Only this time he didn't have to clean my shafts since they were pretty damn clean. And it was fortuitous that I had used the eraser and then got the shafts sealed. That's what Mr. Cueman recommended - get the shafts sealed after using it. He said that the fibers probably got raised a bit and it was a good thing to burnish afterward, but sealing them would be best. And don't use this too often either. Maybe twice a year or just before you go see someone for tips and they do the "full service" on your shafts afterward.

So maybe he'll share more after he uses it on a pretty filthy shaft that was there in his shop.

Barbara~~~saw lots of eye candy today... yum, yum, yum...

rocky
05-04-2004, 02:50 PM
the sponge also works well dry for emergencies, used mine the other day when I got something on my shaft after some guy picked up my cue to look at it. It doesn't work as well but it does work.