PDA

View Full Version : Hi...

NlceGuy
05-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Hi, been lurkin for a while and figured its about time I started posting some. Seeing how there are so many great pool players on this board, I was kinda scared to post since I've only been playin for bout 8 month. Well, I think I shoot pretty good though I really can't say cause I haven't actually played or won a tournament yet, just a bit of cash /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Guess it rubs of since all the guys who taught me how to play like to gamble, so I never tried to play tournaments, only gamble /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Um well, to make this post somewhat interesting, heres a little pool story that happened last week. Recently I started playin 1pkt, cause 8ball and 9ball got kinda boring. Anyways, me and a fiend were playing cheap sets 1pkt. After a long night, me being up a set, we decided to play 1 game double or nothin. I don't remember how, but the last ball somehow got stuck in the opposite corner. So I pocketed it... and he pulled this shot on me.

Here is my first wei (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html) diagram.

START(
%HO1O4%Pr4Z7%UE6C8%VC3D9%WP4O2%Xr0Z4%YC6[5%ZO0O7%[C5E4%\O7N6
%eB0b0
)END

He didn't actually make the shot cause he over cut it slightly, and it rattled in the pocket, but I was still very amazed.
Being new to the game of 1pkt, if this is an old shot pls forgive me. But seriously, I was amazed that this shot was even possible. I remember him jokingly say he will cut it and I said impossible. Next day I tried and pocketed this shot and was amazed that it isn't even as hard as I imagined. Goes to show that we learn a little everyday, and nothing is impossible. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
05-01-2004, 03:18 AM
HELLO!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

NlceGuy
05-01-2004, 04:45 AM
Hi to you too carol. Wish you the best of luck in your pool career. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BLACKHEART
05-01-2004, 08:36 AM
What's a NIceGuy like you doin' in a place like this(sorry I couldn't resist). Tell us more about yourself...JER

Popcorn
05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Although makeable, that is not the shot from there. In one pocket when you are down to one ball or two balls, most all good players will make basicly the same moves in similar situations. There is not that much creativity at that point. Cutting that ball backwards is very risky. You don't want to play a whole game down to you both needing one and then throw the game away on flyer. The end of the game when there are just a few balls left on the table is where you find out if a guy knows what he is doing.

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Although makeable, that is not the shot from there. In one pocket when you are down to one ball or two balls, most all good players will make basicly the same moves in similar situations. There is not that much creativity at that point. Cutting that ball backwards is very risky. You don't want to play a whole game down to you both needing one and then throw the game away on flyer. The end of the game when there are just a few balls left on the table is where you find out if a guy knows what he is doing. <hr /></blockquote>

Give him a break, he's only been playing for a few months (LOL). I like this shot better than what he proposed:

START(
%HO1O4%Pr4Z7%UD6R0%VN8O9%WO9P4%Xr0Z4%YM6D5%ZO0O7%[O2O4%\O7N6
%]C8[4%^M5C7%eB0b0%_k4S9%`c7S5%aD1R1
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

Of course, I have been playing a little longer /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Cass
05-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap to you Frank and Popcorn. I sure would love to play his opponent some. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome aboard Nice Guy. Not all of you have to finish last. LOL (sorry, like JER I couldn't resist.hahaha)

Regards,

C.C.

NlceGuy
05-01-2004, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>
Give him a break, he's only been playing for a few months (LOL). I like this shot better than what he proposed:

START(
%HO1O4%Pr4Z7%UD6R0%VN8O9%WO9P4%Xr0Z4%YM6D5%ZO0O7%[O2O4%\O7N6
%]C8[4%^M5C7%eB0b0%_k4S9%`c7S5%aD1R1
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

Of course, I have been playing a little longer /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, that is what I would do too. I'm pretty sure when my friend attempted that shot, it was only in jest cause basically I told him it looked impossible. We weren't playing for anything huge so not like it mattered much.

Sid_Vicious
05-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I've seen a few 1-p players hit that shot for grins when the game wasn't really serious. Sometimes, it's just fun to show off a little...sid

Popcorn
05-01-2004, 12:09 PM
With all due respect, I don't think that shot the way you have it diagrammed can be done. You can't get the cue ball where you show and get the object ball to the hole. I just went in the other room and tried it about 20 times and I could not do it. I would prefer to not try to go for the hole. Here are two examples of what I might try. any other ideas, Grady are you out there?

START(
%AN7O5%BK2^4%CL8^7%DN0^4%FL3^5%HM2^7%IL9^5%JK7^7%M J6^9%NJ6^0
%OK9^7%Ps0[1%UP5P5%Vr1Z5%WJ2D8%XN3N9%]C7V7%^H9C4%_k9Z9%`D7R6
%aN9P3%dV4^9
)END

START(
%AO0O5%BK2^4%CL8^7%DN0^4%FL3^5%HM2^7%IL9^5%JK7^7%M J6^9%NJ6^0
%OK9^7%Ps0[1%SB5U4%UP2O1%Vr1Z5%WD6R6%XM8O8%]l6Z4%^C3S0%_C5T6
%`I6C3%aN8N4%dV4^9
)END

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect, I don't think that shot the way you have it diagrammed can be done.<hr /></blockquote>

Well, I was just trying to show a possibility, not trying to map it exactly, LOL. I may well have diagrammed it off a little. And shooting "toward" the pocket instead if into the pocket is always an option in 1P. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'll go try it a few and see if i can make it.

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
With all due respect, I don't think that shot the way you have it diagrammed can be done.<hr /></blockquote>
[ QUOTE ]

Well, I was just trying to show a possibility, not trying to map it exactly, LOL. I may well have diagrammed it off a little. And shooting "toward" the pocket instead if into the pocket is always an option in 1P. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'll go try it a few and see if I can make it. <hr /></blockquote>

OK, I couldn't make it in 10 tries. Looks like you absolutely need to use top, and the cue ball travels to far and the object ball not far enough. I bow to your greater experience.
Frank &lt;-will admit when I'm wrong

Popcorn
05-01-2004, 03:08 PM
A lot of those shots can be somewhat subjective. Move the cue ball a few inches and everything changes. It can be hard to tell from just looking sometimes, although you get a feeling what will happen. Thats the great thing about one pocket, you will see something and you can go right to the table and work on it till you make it your own. I am not sure 9 ball can present that kind of on going fascination. I rarely watch a 9 ball match and see anything I haven't seen before. One pocket on the other hand, I'm learning things all the time. Love to watch one pocket.