PDA

View Full Version : Please diagram the 14.1 break shot GF describes

Leviathan
05-01-2004, 04:58 AM
GF posted this recently:

"...this concept comes from Dan DiLiberto: the ideal key ball is one inside the rack area, with an angle that allows you to send the cue ball two rails around your proposed break shot. Even if you under-hit it slightly, the angle still works in your favor...and if you wind up too straight on the key ball, you can always just stop-shot it in and accept ball-in-hand behind the string for your break."

Could one of our resident 14.1 experts give us a Wei diagram of a break shot of this kind?

Thanks in advance,
AS

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> GF posted this recently:

"...this concept comes from Dan DiLiberto: the ideal key ball is one inside the rack area, with an angle that allows you to send the cue ball two rails around your proposed break shot. Even if you under-hit it slightly, the angle still works in your favor...and if you wind up too straight on the key ball, you can always just stop-shot it in and accept ball-in-hand behind the string for your break."

Could one of our resident 14.1 experts give us a Wei diagram of a break shot of this kind?

Thanks in advance,
AS <hr /></blockquote>

I'm no expert, but I think he means something like this:

START(
%HK4P0%MN7L2%PO1T4%UH6D3%VC2I4%WL3Q4%XN5S7%YC8D1%Z K0O7%[@3M8
%\A5N5%eB3a1%_W9M9%`S8K0%aI2C6%bC9J3%cF3L8%dJ9P2
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

Leviathan
05-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Frank--that's great. Looks like a good system.--AS

Steve Lipsky
05-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Leviathan and Frank,

Actually, I'm fairly sure Danny D means something like this:

START(
%AM5K5%OL5Q6%PS3O8%QT7L7%RV8P2%U`8O9%VP1Q6%WN0Q0%X R5P0%YD4M8
%ZL1P9%[L8D5%\C7M0%]X4J2%^M7C9%_`0I3%`X4L1%aO6O7
)END

One of the main reasons this shot is superior to the previous one diagrammed is because of the huge margin of error in getting position on the key ball. Anywhere between lines A and B works fine.

This shot also affords the shooter the opportunity to play it with natural english, as opposed to the inside english required in the previous diagram.

Finally, for most positions within the two lines (but especially closer to line B), once you make the ball, the cueball does the rest. You can't help but get good on the breakshot.

As in all games, the less you have to force the position the better.

- Steve

Leviathan
05-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Ah-ha! Thanks, Steve.

AS

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 11:32 AM
OK, that makes sense. I was just guessing from the 2 rails info.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks Steve, that shot was the first thought I had in mind when he posted about a 2-rail shot. I guess GF doesn't wei. or doesn't have time.

Leviathan
05-01-2004, 12:19 PM
One thought, Steve--I wonder whether the key-ball shot would be an easier reach for a right-handed player if the positions of the key-ball and the break ball were flipflopped, like this:

START(
%AN2R9%OL8M4%PS9O1

)END

Wei table:

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

I think I might be able to play this key-ball shot comfortably from the side of the table (possibly with my right knee on the table). Oh, well--I'm looking forward to trying these shots!

AS