PDA

View Full Version : PH's Slow, You're Just Hangin Out

Sid_Vicious
05-01-2004, 12:48 PM
No cares, no restraint, you're at the PH for the whole afternoon. This is a question more for the PH junkies out there, not the tournament & league people or practice-drill hounds...but "Hey then, everyone's welcome to chime in."

How do you personally value your non playing time during the time you're at the PH? I got to thinking today that there is either a playing time or a sitting time, especially when it's slow, letting you choose how you'll use the time. I mostly like to simply watch the activity on tables around me, maybe relocate to a seat over-looking the action on the nines, I've even been known to ponder the game of 1-pocket when the game is being played right. The reality though is that most of the non playing time is just screwed off by BS'n with people and pecking away on a practice table, nothing structured if you know what I mean.

What do y'all do when you're not in a game? Are you studying, partying or some variation in-between? Lastly, how much would you say that you consciously use that time to sit and watch only? sid~~~just a curious question to me today

Harold Acosta
05-01-2004, 03:39 PM
I've been sitting a lot lately; almost for a year now.

Ever since I organized the Puerto Rican Federation of Billiards, I've been watching our Players. We are ranking players in Category 1, 2, or 3. With 3 being the highest and somewhat a semi-pro. No Pro clasification yet since we would have to come up with a definition of what would be a Pro Player; and we have to keep participating in some events to truly measure our Players against the Pros of the World.

We are currently recognized by the World Pool-Billiard Association; under the Panamerican Confederation (CPB) for South America. There are 17 South American and Caribbean countries with the Confederation with about 5 or 6 Pro Players among them.

So far we have a 3rd Place finish in a Panamerican Tournament in our first try with 2 Players, 7 players finishing in the money at the Aruba Open which Ralf Souquet won in our second try with 8 Players; a first place finish in our third try in Venezuela with only 2 Players representing us. So far, so good.

We also participated in the most recent World Pool Championship at Cardiff in July with 2 of our best players having the experience to face some of the best Players of the World.

Anyway, my sitting these past 12 months have provided me with the opportunity to see our players improve their game and skills on the table. It has also given me the opportunity to make a concious effort on comparing our play against some of the Best in the Caribbean and South America and visualize how our Players could fare against some of the U.S. Players.

Last year, we had 2 Pros from the U.S., and the current Panamerican Champion at that time, play in Puerto Rico for a $1,500 first prize event. One of the U.S Pro finished 3rd in the event. The others did not make it to the money. That also said a lot of our Players.

In other words, my playing days seem to be over. I'm quite content with what is happening and although I do get the itch to play, I am not doing it competitively anymore. It's my own choosing.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Chris Cass
05-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi Sid,

Good questions. I'll shoot most of the time practicing with another player. Could be a 10 ball ring game too. Sometimes for money and most of the time not. Many times with Spike, Heide and another player. Either way I always play hard. I don't get much action because most want too much weight.

Sometimes if someone has action and I don't feel like hitting any, I'll watch and play the shots of both players in my mind. Sometimes, I'll get aggravated because I wish I was playing one or both of the players.

Sometimes, I'll just sit and BS with someone. Heide always catches me and tells me to, "get over here." LOL Sometimes I'll play some cribbage 2 or 3 way. Sometimes I'll watch a match on tv.

Most of the time I'll shoot drills when nobodys wants to play. Sometimes lately I'll do the drills in the morning after taking Spike to school and then come home and do my chores. Then go up later with them to shoot for a couple hrs. or work the counter.

When I have to work I'll shoot on the first bar box if it's slow. Once it gets busy, I'll stop and get to work. The tough days are the ones I'll do drills in the am and then chores and take a nap then, go to work and shoot and work. LOL

Now Saturdays, I'm looking for a break and try to win some money at a tourney. That's my fun day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now my goal is getting my BR for the Open. Hope I started soon enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Today, I went up for a fund raiser and didn't play the scotch doubles only because I hate scotch doubles. Heide worked the food stand for the children in need. I shot and now were home relaxing. We'll go back up in awhile again for a bit to play some with friends.

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
05-01-2004, 07:12 PM
I watch the good players, when I'm tired I go to a table and practice by myself. I do a variety of things. I'll shoot a rack of nineball, and reset a bad shot. I'll take the stripes and bank them in. Sometimes I'll just work on my break. I work on combinations and caroms at times. Depending on who's here, I play a few games just for fun. I don't play in the ring games with the big dogs. They want me to play them straight up. If I play them in a tournament they have to spot me two games. I might look stupid, but I'm not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
05-02-2004, 12:57 AM
In reading this, when I think about it, I am surprised how little I like hanging around the pool room, compared to others. Once I am done playing, or if there is nothing going on, I'm gone.

JDB
05-02-2004, 02:28 AM
Yep, have to agree with you. If I am at a Pool Hall it is for a tournament or I am playing with someone. I don't have a lot of interest in just hanging out there.

Jimmy B
05-02-2004, 03:03 AM
I like to talk [censored] and insult people, but I'm just mean.

JB

sack316
05-02-2004, 03:04 AM
I like to watch the really good shooters alot, just to see how they map out running certain racks or learning new safeties etc. Been watching alot of one pocket lately. otherwise I usually just chat it up with whoever is around. And I'll be the first to admit that I'll drop a few bucks into the crack machine (mega touch games). Don't be afraid to admit it.

Jimmy B
05-02-2004, 03:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I like to talk [censored] and insult people, but I'm just mean.

JB <hr /></blockquote>

[censored] is a bad word??? They took it out of context Awe what the F(*&amp;^%K ;-)
JB

Chris Cass
05-02-2004, 08:20 AM
You rebel you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

bluewolf
05-02-2004, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> In reading this, when I think about it, I am surprised how little I like hanging around the pool room, compared to others. Once I am done playing, or if there is nothing going on, I'm gone. <hr /></blockquote>

You got it right. A major downside of league play is sitting time, that is if there are even good seats. Than, once the play begins, the tables are mostly taken up, so it is hard to find one to rent, even.

The last time I went to the pool hall, there was this guy there who i know is a little better than me. I had a really nice time playing him and it is certainly more satisfying and less of a waste of time than sitting for hours and sometimes not even getting to play.

I think the one good thing about the league is that we can go play for an hour or so for free before the matches start, but when balanced against time sitting, and working folks having to be out so late when they have to get up at 5 or 6, it probably is not worth it.

Laura

Predator314
05-02-2004, 08:31 AM
If there are some good players there, I love to watch the game. There are a couple players I could sit and watch all day long. Sometimes I'll watch a ball game or race, play poker, chit chat, or just look for my future ex-wife /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My main pool hall is a Moose Lodge. They have a bar, big screen TV, poker machines, usually a poker game going. During the week, the pool shooting is kind of slow. I pay $35/year dues and the pool is free. 9ft Brunswicks and AMF tables with Simonis 860. Super Aramith pro balls. Great playing conditions. What a deal. I believe that kind of setup is why the Princeton Lodge has won the State Tourney the last 4 years and have been in the top 3 in the International tournaments 3 out of the last 4 years. It's a great place to practice.

When I go to other pool halls, I go to shoot and usually don't hang out unless I get put out of a tournament early and have to wait on my buddies. In this case, I'm usually watching the action or will try to find someone to gamble with (depending on my mood).

Sid_Vicious
05-02-2004, 08:48 AM
You're another type of player PC, hangs around only if there's action, otherwise they usually trot over to another PH till they find a game. I was trying to target those more like myself who basically have just enough of a game themselves to fit in with the regulars but not enough to feel comfortable presenting it across town with as different crowd. This question is not a easily presented as I thought in the beginning, I just assumed that there were many other PH flies like myself here who have "little other life" besided the 9-5 job, so naturally the PH becomes a natural "camping spot" to hang out. I personally get either bored or tired of shooting practice shots, and if there's not a game to find, then there becomes a decision to make as for what that idle time will contain. Sorry if this sounds like a vague question, it is sort of off the wall, but real(IMO.) sid

stickman
05-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Speaking about league, that is where I do most of my visiting. We play at a variety of locations. The bad thing is, I keep score often, and scoring 9ball is a pain. It's hard to visit and keep score at the same time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I don't play 8ball because it was too expensive to do both. If I had my own table, I would probably only go to the PH for tournaments and league. That could be every night though. (Mon. night-9ball scotch doubles, Tues. night-league 8ball, Weds. night-5 and under 9ball tournament, Thurs. night-league 9ball, Fri. night-8ball non rated race to three, Sat. afternoon-8ball/9ball alternating weeks rated, Sunday afternoon-seven ball non rated race to 5, and various other tournaments in other local locations) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd play everyday if I could.

Popcorn
05-02-2004, 11:39 AM
I will tell you my thinking a little, a pool room can be a pretty bad place for some people. Not that that they are going to get in trouble or gamble their money away or anything but they waste their time there. Playing pool is one thing but just sitting around wasting time can become a real habit. You see this in every pool room. I know one guy that is a cop and every non working hour is spent in the pool room. (He doesn't really play much pool) This guy has a wife and kid, what can be so interesting in that pool room that is better then playing with his own kid, hanging out with a bunch of bums? This has nothing to do with the game itself, I go to the pool room to play as well as socialize a little, but I don't regard the pool room as my home away from home. This may be just me, I would rather be home or in my workshop or gardening or something, I have a lot of interests. On the other side of the coin, the pool room where I go most of the time has quite a few older guys, that for them, this pool room is a sanctuary. If they did not have it to come to they would be home sitting in front of a TV all day or dead. You see them in there walking around the billiard table, and they are like 90, they spend the whole day there every day and it is fine. But if you find yourself sitting there playing a cherry master or staring at the TV Bs,ing with a bunch of bums, get the hell out of there, that has nothing to do with being a pool player. Just my opinion.

SPetty
05-02-2004, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>This guy has a wife and kid, what can be so interesting in that pool room that is better then playing with his own kid, hanging out with a bunch of bums? <hr /></blockquote>Hi Popcorn,

I don't think it's just a pool room phenomenon. There are a lot of people who would rather be any place other than home with their spouse and children. I feel sorry for them, but at the same time, wonder what good they could make of their home life if they would just go home. There are a lot of people, for example, who work 14-16 hours a day just to not be at home. This seems especially true if there are small children there. These people would never admit such a thing, and maybe don't even recognize that they're doing it, but they just don't like being at home with those kids.

I'd rather be at home than just about anywhere else.

As for the old guys that hang around the pool room, I think that's great. Especially if they're single. Like you said, they'd probably be dead if they didn't have that to look forward to.

bluewolf
05-02-2004, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I know one guy that is a cop and every non working hour is spent in the pool room. (He doesn't really play much pool) This guy has a wife and kid, what can be so interesting in that pool room that is better then playing with his own kid, hanging out with a bunch of bums? This has nothing to do with the game itself, I go to the pool room to play as well as socialize a little, but I don't regard the pool room as my home away from home. This may be just me, I would rather be home or in my workshop or gardening or something, I have a lot of interests.But if you find yourself sitting there playing a cherry master or staring at the TV Bs,ing with a bunch of bums, get the hell out of there, that has nothing to do with being a pool player. Just my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

I am like you popcorn, I have a lot of interests too. I have had to literally drag ww away from the table before. He comes home and only has a few hours to spend with me. I prefer a balance, some pool, some spending time together. I have other hobbies too that I like to do but some like ww only have pool as a hobby.

I think that if a single person has just pool as a hobby, because that is what it is to anyone not seeking to be a pro, it is probably ok for them to spend as much time as they want to there. But when a person with others in their family is doing the same thing, it seems like a lack of balance.

I enjoy reading, photography and helping some people or dogs. I like pool very much but would hate to spend my whole life just playing pool. I only have one life and want to get out of it as much as I can and all pool and nothing else just does not fit into that equation for me.

BTW- My team is in the playoffs today. I am staying home because I reinjured my back this like week, trying to make a comeback too fast and playing more than I should. Anyway, knowing how much pain I am in, ww calls me from the ph, saying I need to come because the other three and the two did not show up.

I have to drive four hours to go back home tomorrow to see my mother for a few days. So I said 'no, call the other three and two' (we have 3 threes anyway). As much as I like it and go to league unless there are extenuating circumstances, to me, my mother and my back are more important. Guess everyone has there priorities. BTW- I had already told the captain (another sl3) that I would not be in the state today, so where the other two said they were coming and 'no showed', I had told him straight up that I could not come.

Laura

Fasteddy7
05-02-2004, 05:00 PM
pool hall? whats that? Oh yeah where they have those big 9 footers with simonis....ahhhh
Fast &lt;--- Stuck in the middle of Iowa

stickman
05-02-2004, 05:53 PM
9 footers? What are those? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm thankful for a clean place with 8 bar boxes. Otherwise, I'd have to go at least an hours drive to a real poolhall.

Vagabond
05-02-2004, 09:07 PM
I enjoy meeting the ladies.cheers
Vagabond

stickman
05-02-2004, 09:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Now my goal is getting my <font color="red"> BR </font color>for the Open. Hope I started soon enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<font color="red">BR? What's this? </font color>

Today, I went up for a fund raiser and didn't play the scotch doubles only because I hate scotch doubles. Heide worked the food stand for the children in need.
<font color="red"> I don't mind scotch doubles, it's the blind draw for partners. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's fun if you get a good partner.</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
05-02-2004, 09:34 PM
"Now my goal is getting my BR for the Open. Hope I started soon enough".

Were you going to play? More fun to play then watch.

Chris Cass
05-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi Popcorn,

Yes, I just can't go to sweat matches. I have to play. Lets put it this way. I played in the middle of a hurricane with only out of the hospital 6 mths. Couldn't breath, getting dizzy and sick most of the time. Spent a majority of the time in my hotel room. If it wasn't for Tom in Cincy now Sactown I wouldn't have left the room at all.

I looked half dead and played just as bad but I just have to compete. Funny, the day I left the hospital I went to the ph. I know, I'm sick. LOL I heard they had oods on me just to get past the screwing of my cues togather. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
05-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Hi jim,

BR=Bank Roll. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
05-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I still don't know what that is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
05-03-2004, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>I looked half dead and played just as bad but I just have to compete. Funny, the day I left the hospital I went to the ph. I know, I'm sick. LOL I heard they had oods on me just to get past the screwing of my cues togather. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Boy can I relate to what you say, Chris. While I was not as sick as you, In my first year of pool,after three months of practice, pool school etc, I was hospitalized three times due to a nasty illness,with countless trips to the ER due to extreme drug reactions (haha, I cannot take anything, it seems) and it was not until about 16 months after beginning that I started to feel better. Then my back went out, and have had to deal with that for the last 6 months.[this august marks my second birthday of playing pool]

It is a wonder that I have improved at all and I played often sick. I sometimes think that the only reason I improved in pool is because I was visualizing shots, safes, shape in my head when I could not practice and also reading here.

WW thinks that if I were not so sick I would be better by now because I would have more time at the table, but of that, I am not sure. I think that I learned a lot from reading here and talking to others that was invaluable in my game, once I could play more.

BTW, ww already misses ccb.

Laura

Chris Cass
05-03-2004, 07:59 AM
hahahahaha

It's the money your old lady let you keep. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist,

C.C.~~Jim, your a riot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato
05-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Yeah Chris, you looked like death but darnit if your heart didn't keep beating and you didn't keep fighting. I look forward to seeing you 1 year stronger and light years better /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~has seemingly fallen into the black hole of progress /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rukiddingme
05-04-2004, 07:39 AM
When I go to the pool hall I like to run some drills, work on different things that my teacher has shown me, play some straight pool. The caliber of my game is not at the "lets get some action" level so I pretty much keep to myself. When I get tired or disgusted (whichever comes first /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I take a break and watch the other players play. I play at Chris's in Chicago and there is always something going on over there. Even when there is no action the players are working on their game.
GF shows up regularly and if I'm playing on table 8 I defer the table to him as a courtesy and watch him play some 14.1.
High caliber players are always around playing 3c, 9 ball, one pocket and occasionally there are really good players on the snooker table.
I watch all these good players and get inspired to go at it again. I'm seeing real improvement in my game and watching others has really helped.
Some of the local characters (sweaters) provide some good entertainment as well. You've just got to be there to see it and hear it. One day I'll put this all on paper and write a book...Chapter 1...You're not going to believe this but really THIS REALLY HAPPENED...lol
I have other interests besides pool but I dedicate one afternoon and evening to the pool hall a week. If I can I go more often.
ruk

Keith Talent
05-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Wish I had a little more time to hang out. But I've usually got 3 hours max, and I hate to lose any of that time yapping. Still, I'll steal maybe 15-20 mins on my way out the door and watch a good game, if there happens to be one.

I don't get guys who sit around for hours talking or playing cards ... essentially, I'll play till my back's hurting, my legs are tingling, my eyes are stinging and my wallet's wiped out, whether I can find a game or not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif