PDA

View Full Version : Where do you play?

Tiabin
05-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey there,
I was just curious what kind of atmosphere a lot of you guys play in. How many of you practice/play mostly at home? How many of you don't?

Fasteddy7
05-01-2004, 05:03 PM
In Iowa I play mostly at home. Where are all those 9 footers anyway? LOL

Pelican
05-01-2004, 05:10 PM
When I'm by myself, in the shower /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jay
05-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Down here in Florida, I usually play and practice at Playboy billiards, there are a lot of good players and every once and a while Dennis Searing comes in and plays with the owner and some of the usuals. I wish I could fit a table in my townhouse but if I had a table in my house, I would never leave.... EVER!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
05-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi Jay,

I hear Dennis make a might fine shaft and not to mention cues. Tell him there's a guy from the quad cities that would like to meet him one day.

Regards,

C.C.

dg-in-centralpa
05-01-2004, 07:28 PM
I practice at home(bar box), and play in bars and clubs, 'cause that's where the leagues are. A couple times a year I go to the PH to play the big tables

DG - now an old hand

Frank_Glenn
05-01-2004, 08:33 PM
I have a GC I with S760 & 4.5" pockets at home, so I play mostly at home. 2-6 hrs a day. I shoot lots of drills and 14.1 practice. Here' my favorite drill:

START(
%Ag5O4%B[7U7%CO4U6%Da4O4%Eg7U6%FU3I1%G[7O5%Ha4I1%Ia8U6%J[7H9
%KO1O3%LO0I1%MU6O3%NU8U9%Og7I0%Pg9X4
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

Nightstalker
05-01-2004, 09:16 PM
I practice at a local pool hall, I rent a table for 2-3 hours about 3 times a week. I also play in a Thursday night APA 8 ball league in Toldeo, OH. Sometimes I go out to local pubs and bars to get into some games as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SkippyFL
05-01-2004, 09:27 PM
I play at Player's Billiards in FL (Melbourne). I get over there 3 or 4 times a week about 20 hours a week total. At players there are 7 9' tables and 2 8' tables with brand new simonis cloth. (They get new cloth once a year.)

Oh and by the way this is my first post (long time viewer) so hi to everyone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Skippy

cueball1950
05-01-2004, 09:50 PM
I play at the Golden Cue in Albany NY. They have 24 GC1's and 1 heated Soren Sogaard billiard table and 2 gold crown 1 billiard tables. The place has been open in the same location for over 40 years. And a fine institution it is. I know i spelled it wrong. what can i say...........mike

Kato
05-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Jay, you're only about 30 minutes away from me. We should get together and play.

Kato

Kato
05-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Breakers Billiards in North Lauderdale.

Wednesday night league, run the Sunday night tournament, once every month or so I go in to fool around on a Saturday afternoon. In all honesty, I play so little I probably can't even be called a pool player anymore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato

Popcorn
05-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Play at home mostly. Go to the pool rooms but don't hang out, just to play and then I am on my way.

bluewolf
05-02-2004, 08:09 AM
We have an 8 ft table so before we had to put our stuff in storage, while moving, we mostly practiced at home. Table time is pretty expensive where we live, so did not go out to practice much.

We have a few pool halls near by with really great nine foots, so we are currently going to one of those a couple of times a week to practice.

If the two of us practiced 3x a week for two hours, that would be about $80 dollars a week or over $300 a month, and any tournaments my hubbie or I wanted to enter, additional money. Kind of pricey for anyone not rich. When you calculate this out, this comes to over 4000 a year, making a nice 9 ft, especially with the convenience of having it in one's home, look like a great investment.

So, at least here, it is way more economical to play at home and will be getting a new nine ft when we get into our new house. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Koopa
05-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm not lucky enough to have a table at home, but I get some time in at the pool rooms. Here in Miami, FL I play at Sharpshooters and Peg's Pocket. You can play from noon to 5pm for $5 so I try and get myself out of school as much as possible to practice. Mostly 14.1 these days.

Predator314
05-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Copied and pasted from the PH's slow thread:

My main pool hall is a Moose Lodge. They have a bar, big screen TV, poker machines, usually a poker game going. During the week, the pool shooting is kind of slow. I pay $35/year dues and the pool is free. 9ft Brunswicks and AMF tables with Simonis 860. Super Aramith pro balls. Great playing conditions. What a deal. I believe that kind of setup is why the Princeton Lodge has won the State Tourney the last 4 years and have been in the top 3 in the International tournaments 3 out of the last 4 years. It's a great place to practice.

bluewolf
05-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Sounds like a great deal, but is that a guy only place? I know of some organizations that a woman can only get into if their hubbie is a member. Is it like that, sort of? And if it is, are their restrictions on when the women can go in there?

Laura

Predator314
05-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Women are allowed to be members. They have their own separate organization called Women of the Moose. You probably have a Moose chapter in your area. www.mooseintl.org (http://www.mooseintl.org)

Qtec
05-02-2004, 12:20 PM
I play here.Best place in town.

Thurston (http://www.thurstonrotterdam.nl)

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bluewolf
05-02-2004, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> Women are allowed to be members. They have their own separate organization called Women of the Moose. You probably have a Moose chapter in your area. www.mooseintl.org (http://www.mooseintl.org) <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. It shows as having two in frederick, md, where we are hoping to move.

Laura

Predator314
05-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Most of them have pool tables. Some have great setups, some not so good. We are pretty fortunate. They have state tournaments and international tournaments that are a lot of fun. Usually the International has a women's and mixed doubles tournament included.

Jay
05-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey Kato,
Id love to meet up with a fellow ccb'er and play a little. Hell Id probably learn a lot from you. I dont go down that far to play. I live in west palm the farthest I go down south to play is Delray to World Famous which used to be Shootersville. I play for the house team in their league. The only time I go down to Lauderdale is to go drinking or clubbing. I do however want to try the Billiard Club?? I think that is what it is called down by Sawgrass. Its looks pretty nice.

shooter72283
05-02-2004, 10:31 PM
I don't have a table at home, but I do have a PH that is a 5 minute walk from my house. I started taking pool very seriously in December and was spending somewhere around $150 a week in time at the PH ($3.60/hr.), so now the gracious owner has allowed me to play Sun.-Wed. for $5 all day, and has been helping me train. Thanks to him I am now rated an 8 by the APA and have only been playing seriously for 6 months! Gimme another year and I'll be waving hello to all you CCBers from inside your TVs!

SteveEllis
05-03-2004, 05:47 AM
I play in an APA 8-ball and an APA 9-ball league and an in-house 8/9 ball league which just finished for the summer. Other than that I do my practice in the basement in a room not quite big enough for my 9 ft.

catscradle
05-03-2004, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> ... My main pool hall is a Moose Lodge... <hr /></blockquote>

In my APA league twice a season I play in the local Moose Lodge. Although it sounds like a great deal, 20 bucks to join and then they pay your APA dues, it is one of the absolute smokiest places /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif we play in thourghout our league. That is reason enough for me to not even consider joining it. Is it a requirement to smoke to join the Moose? For a while our captain was talking about moving our home location there, I would probably have quit the team if he did so. Exposure to smoke is without question the biggist down side of playing pool, an otherwise great game.

PQQLK9
05-03-2004, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> ... My main pool hall is a Moose Lodge... <hr /></blockquote>

Exposure to smoke is without question the biggist down side of playing pool, an otherwise great game.
<hr /></blockquote>
Amen Brother! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
05-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Ours isn't too bad. I can go in there and shoot for hours and come out with just a hint of smoke smell on me. Most pool halls I go to, I have to almost throw my clothes away.

Our lodge is really wide open and I guess they just have good ventilation. WV doesn't have a smoke-free bar/pool hall scene /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
05-03-2004, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> Exposure to smoke is without question the biggist down side of playing pool, an otherwise great game.
<hr /></blockquote>

Ah, the smoking thing again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I did not smoke for many years and to get past that, took an antihistimine before going into a smoke filled place. Back then I was working Bingo for my son's year round swim team.

In md, all places are smoke free. Where I have been playing pool, there is a set up outside with tables and chairs for smokers. But then, even if a non-smoker goes out there to socialize, since it is outside, it does not seem to be quite as 'smoky'.

Laura

Chris Cass
05-03-2004, 07:57 AM
That'll be a little tough if some have those flat screen jobbeys.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-03-2004, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>In all honesty, I play so little I probably can't even be called a pool player anymore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>Ha! You sound like me! I should be arrested for impersonating a pool player. LOL

When I do play, it's a Master Billiards (home of the Big Apple Tourney). Everynow and then I'll frequent Racks Billiards, Hall of Fame Billiards and New Era Billiards (when the opportunity arises).

mworkman
05-03-2004, 11:25 AM
I play mostly at home which is very frustrating because I have one end of the table pushed up against the wall (no room). I've been trying to get out once a week to play in a tournament in St. Cloud(Checkers). They have a few 9' and mostly 7'. They have 8 ball tournaments which are played on the 7' tables. Hoping to move soon to a bigger place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Voodoo Daddy
05-03-2004, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Koopa:</font><hr> I'm not lucky enough to have a table at home, but I get some time in at the pool rooms. Here in Miami, FL I play at Sharpshooters and Peg's Pocket. You can play from noon to 5pm for $5 so I try and get myself out of school as much as possible to practice. Mostly 14.1 these days. <hr /></blockquote>

Tell the boys Big Steve says they all got the 8-Ball!!

Voodoo~~~doesnt play at all anymore but that will get the new guy in trouble in my hometown!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

catscradle
05-03-2004, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> ... Back then I was working Bingo ...
Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Bingo games are the only place that I can think of with a worse smoke problem than poolrooms. ;-}

Kato
05-03-2004, 08:44 PM
No matter Jay. If you wanna hook up at World Famous, Playboys, or Kelly's I'm there.

Friend of mine went into the Billiard Club to check it out. He say it's nice. It's the kind of place I'd bring a date that plays pool not to practice.

Just PM me and we'll hook something up.

Kato

art
05-03-2004, 08:55 PM
I play at College Billiards in San Diego, Ca 3-4 times a week. The first Sunday of the month I usually go to Hardtimes in LA.

Leviathan
05-04-2004, 05:46 AM
'Lo, Tiabin.

I play in weekly 9-Ball tournaments at a yuppie sports bar about 10 minutes from my place. There's a lot of smoke and noise, and there's not much elbow room around the tables, but convenience counts. I don't want to play until 1 or 2 in the morning and then have a long drive home. I find that this regular tournament competition strengthens my mental game, and I try to learn new tactics and techniques from my opponents.

My dad and I play at an old-fashioned pool room a couple of times a week. My dad likes Alabama rules 8-Ball, so that's what we play. It's a great room in a lot of ways, but the tables are a little slow. I prefer to practice on faster tables, so I get my real practice elsewhere.

I try to get away for a day of serious practice once a week. I drive 2 1/2 hours to a PH that has good equipment, shoot drills from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M., and drive another 2 1/2 hours to get home. These sessions are tiring, but they do help me improve my game. Also, I like to get away from the house and away from this stinkin' burg whenever I can! The room sells annual memberships: I can play from 11 to 5 Monday through Friday all year for $75.

AS

1Time
05-04-2004, 11:48 PM
I play 9 ball on 9' tables at a couple of local pool halls.

integra707
05-09-2004, 02:11 PM
I play at a few local pool rooms here in Vegas. Try to hit the 9 ball tournament at pool sharks on thrusdays.

I guess it depends where I am when the craving sets in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

preacherman
05-09-2004, 04:44 PM
I play mostly in my home on my 9' table.
I don't like smoke, plus my body doesn't either.
So outside of my home I love to play on Barleys 8' tables in Atlanta, GA. They have 30+ tables they are all 8 foot tables, but in great condition and it is a smoke-free pool establishment.

Jim
www.christianpoolplayers.com (http://www.christianpoolplayers.com)

superstroke
05-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Ever place in the money on a first sunday?

JJHolmquist
05-11-2004, 03:50 AM
I play mostly on the 7 footer in my barracks lounge. Unfortunatly, the alcoholic sailor stereotype is pretty much true here, so the table gets its share of abuse. Pretty bad for slow rolls.

Other than that its the Snooker Sports Bar in Reykjavik, which has some decent 9 footers. Looking at like $14 bucks an hour an $7 beers though... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

cycopath
05-11-2004, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote preachermanI love to play on Barleys 8' tables in Atlanta, GA. [/quote:</font><hr>

I tried to play there when I was in Atlanta earlier this year, but I didn't realize they don't open until something like 4pm on Saturdays. Looked nice from the front window though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wound up playing at The Pool Room in Marietta with fellow CCB'er Heater451. That place is awesome, with a capital AWE!