PDA

View Full Version : DEA Agent Shoots Self in Gun Safety Class

PQQLK9
05-02-2004, 09:15 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A federal drug agent shot himself in the leg during a gun safety presentation to children in what police describe as an accident. His bosses, however, are still investigating the incident.

The Drug Enforcement Administration agent, whose name was not released, was speaking April 9 to about 50 adults and students organized by the Orlando Minority Youth Golf Association, witnesses and police said.

He drew his .40-caliber duty weapon and removed the magazine, according to the police report. He then pulled back the slide and asked an audience member to look inside the gun and confirm it wasn't loaded.

Witnesses said when the agent released the slide, one shot fired into the top of his left thigh. The gun was pointed at the floor

The agent was treated at Orlando Regional Medical Center and returned to work, a DEA official said.

Nightstalker
05-02-2004, 09:22 AM
I want to know how the firing pin struck the primer hard enough to cause the bullet to fire with the release of the slide. That doesn't make sense to me.

Leviathan
05-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Well, with some handguns--such as the Colt Government Model, for example--the hammer can follow the slide if the gun has had a bad trigger job. I've seen this happen a number of times. The oddity here is that a round was chambered, but a creative screwup can manage that also. I've seen shooters get their actions out of sequence--rack the slide to clear the chamber and then drop the mag, drop the hammer, and let one go. You'd be amazed what can go wrong around handguns.

AS

Cueless Joey
05-02-2004, 11:04 AM
That's why I bought a Sig 220.
There was a police force here who claimed their Sig P226 were going off while they safety-hammer dropped the hammer. Sig investigated it. It shouldn't happen b/c when you safety-hammer dropped the hammer on Sigs, the hammer is blocked from hitting the cartridge.
It turns out the dumb cops were using the trigger to drop the hammer.
There is nothing safer than locking the slide and checking the chamber. Hell, some people freak out when I lock the slide and look thru the nozzle quickly. More guns would not go off "accidentally" if people did that.
Those red chamber-loaded indicator cannot be trusted.

highsea
05-02-2004, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>...He drew his .40-caliber duty weapon and removed the magazine, according to the police report. He then pulled back the slide and asked an audience member to look inside the gun and confirm it wasn't loaded.

Witnesses said when the agent released the slide, one shot fired into the top of his left thigh. The gun was pointed at the floor<hr /></blockquote>

Wonder if it was a glock?

Glock owners should read this. (http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html)

-CM

Leviathan
05-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Joey, Joey, Joey. What are we gonna do with you? Please don't check your SIG's chamber that way; just look through the ejection port, with the piece pointed in a safe direction. We don't want to have to call you "Headless Joey."

AS

Qtec
05-02-2004, 12:35 PM
...and I thought guns in the hands of trained people were safe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most people who are killed by guns were not involved in a crime except the shooting itself.

Most people get shot over an arguement, domestic dispute etc.

Q

PQQLK9
05-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Hmmm...sold my Glock 19 at last years gun show.

Cueless Joey
05-02-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Joey, Joey, Joey. What are we gonna do with you? Please don't check your SIG's chamber that way; just look through the ejection port, with the piece pointed in a safe direction. We don't want to have to call you "Headless Joey."

AS <hr /></blockquote>
Tell that to the guy who shot Brandon Lee.
K, pointed to the floor, I'll check the ejection port while the slide is locked ( finger off the trigger of course).

eg8r
05-03-2004, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A federal drug agent shot himself in the leg during a gun safety presentation to children in what police describe as an accident. <hr /></blockquote> Leave it up to the police to carefully assess the situation prior to speaking to the media. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Would these morons think any would suspect this as being anything BUT an accident?

Poor sucker shot himself in the leg, I bet he won't live that one down for a long time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wonder if his colleagues will nickname him "Cheddar". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Not an Eminem fan, but did get stuck watching 8 Mile once

SpiderMan
05-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Most .40-caliber duty weapons are Glocks, at least around here. If the slide has been pulled back, the (internal) hammer is partially cocked. Once the slide has returned back forward, the gun will fire with a normal pull on the trigger. Probably the guy had his finger on the trigger and actually squeezed it in the process of keeping his grip on the gun during the slide operation. Or maybe, like an idiot, he intended to "dry fire" to release the hammer on his "empty" gun.

The only required "malfunction" would be the round in the chamber. In theory, if the magazine was removed and the slide racked, any chambered round should have been ejected. Since it wasn't, the ejector must not have caught on the cartridge rim. On the other hand, the guy should have noticed that there was no ejection and checked the chamber very carefully.

SpiderMan

Voodoo Daddy
05-03-2004, 03:16 PM
I remember when the City of Miami went to the Glock. That particular weapon has a safety withen the trigger. Anyway, a officer went to the movie's off duty but carried his duty gun on him. He sat in the chair and the gun went off shooting him in the thigh...BIG INVESTIGATION. Came to find out that he didnt have the trigger guard covered w/ the holster as the factory armour suggests. As a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor...I use the law enforcement flops as learning tools and the bottom line is this; "Guns are not for everyone...but they can be"!!

Nightstalker
05-03-2004, 06:25 PM
This is horrible, these things kill 200,000,000 kids. We need to ban guns totally, they are badddddd.

Voodoo Daddy
05-04-2004, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> This is horrible, these things kill 200,000,000 kids. We need to ban guns totally, they are badddddd. <hr /></blockquote>

200,000,000 kids? No kidding, where? Ban guns...yeah that makes sense, then when 200,000,000 kids get killed by baseball bats...then what?

Nightstalker
05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> This is horrible, these things kill 200,000,000 kids. We need to ban guns totally, they are badddddd. <hr /></blockquote>

200,000,000 kids? No kidding, where? Ban guns...yeah that makes sense, then when 200,000,000 kids get killed by baseball bats...then what? <hr /></blockquote>
Sarcasm is tough to convey on the internet sometimes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan
05-04-2004, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> This is horrible, these things kill 200,000,000 kids. We need to ban guns totally, they are badddddd. <hr /></blockquote>

200,000,000 kids? No kidding, where? Ban guns...yeah that makes sense, then when 200,000,000 kids get killed by baseball bats...then what? <hr /></blockquote>
Sarcasm is tough to convey on the internet sometimes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

So tough it just kills me sometimes - let's ban it, too.

SpiderMan

Nightstalker
05-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Hey, good idea! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif